Apple preparing first $99 Apple TVs for shipment

Comments

• Reply 21 of 54
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Are you aware that in the UK there are no TV show rentals at all? So this is purely to stream your own content, plus rent movies from iTunes.

Stating the obvious but no Netflix either, or any sort of replacement from LoveFilm. Not even BBC iPlayer support.

It just feels like a horribly limited box to me, and I have an original Apple TV which I rarely use. The functionality you get from a PS3 completely blows it away in every possible way, which is why it's my main media device.

True it's limited, but I have a large content of music, photos and films in iTunes. I've got an Xbox and connect360 on my Mac but the stupid Xbox can't play unprotected movie files from within iTunes.

It's highly frustrating that the Apple TV has more features in the US and that we get the pleasure of paying so much more for it, although I suspect that rather than their usual only the US matters approach this is more due to licensing issues at least on the rentals front.

As the new Apple TV is based on iOS I have no doubt that it will be jailbroken and things like iPlayer will run just fine as they have no problems on any other iOS device.
  • Reply 22 of 54
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

I bought one too. I have every version of this product. I'm not sure how the photos are going to stream (if they do), but that sure is a nice feature when the Apple TV goes into sleep mode - the scrolling of your life in full color.

We used our ATV the other night when company was over. So many funny videos that I've collected over the years as well as crystal clear pictures. I'm looking forward to the new unit with its NetFlix feature. One step closer to cutting out the cable bill.

For those that are wondering about hard wiring in an ethernet jack behind their tv... it's worth it. I enjoy fiber optic to the home and it's very fast DSL. So my Apple Base station can spit out 802.11n without any bottlenecks. But the performance of wireless is still erratic and a mystery. A wired connection was worth its weight in gold.

I always have fun putting a slide show up on the big TV of that night's dinner party as folks are having their after dinner drinks, it never fails to impress.

Good tip on the wired connection. I had a similar experience but discovered the issue was I some 802.11g activity on the AE and mine predates the dual band version. Once I set up an alternative w-fi, i.e. I made a dual .11g and .11n set up manually, I never had another streaming issue. BTW I always streamed having found the option to use internal storage of the ATV a pointless exercise and it seems Apple decided the same thing.
  • Reply 23 of 54
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:

Are you aware that in the UK there are no TV show rentals at all? So this is purely to stream your own content, plus rent movies from iTunes.

Stating the obvious but no Netflix either, or any sort of replacement from LoveFilm. Not even BBC iPlayer support.

It just feels like a horribly limited box to me, and I have an original Apple TV which I rarely use. The functionality you get from a PS3 completely blows it away in every possible way, which is why it's my main media device.

My question is not necessarily related to ATV as such and I confess I had no idea is was that limited over there (I left the UK 20 years ago). You didn't mention Hulu, is that also blocked?
  • Reply 24 of 54
    Quote:

Streaming iTunes content plus film rentals is all I want. Simple, cheap solution. Fantastic!

I don't need TV show rentals - watch them for free on the internet via BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, etc or just remember to record a show if I'm out. Why pay for it?
  • Reply 25 of 54
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

My question is not necessarily related to ATV as such and I confess I had no idea is was that limited over there (I left the UK 20 years ago). You didn't mention Hulu, is that also blocked?

Sadly Hulu etc are all locked to the USA, just like BBC iPlayer is UK only...... a pain in the arse!
  • Reply 26 of 54
    Shipped on: Sep 27, 2010 via FEDERAL EXPRESS

Tracking #: XXXXXXX (Pre-sign for this shipment)\t

Product: APPLE TV-USA

FedEx says: Estimated delivery to Orlando, FL: Sep 30, 2010 by 4:30 PM

And my shipment is originating in:

"SHENZHEN, GD, CN" = China
  • Reply 27 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

At a hundred bucks, It's a small price to pay so that I will be qualified to comment on the product.

Wait, What?!

Buying something so you are qualified to talk about it, as a primary reason for your purchase? Please tell me your wallet isn't dictated by trying to prove something on this site. If so, then I need to re-think my investment and advertising strategies.

I'll stick with my Linux XBMC HTPC thank you. But I guess it means I can't comment on the aTV? Well, I can even though I don't own the device. I see the low price point attractive enough given Apple can get the content cheap enough. The device isn't (and never will be) about the device, as it will be all about renting, something where you will need to pay per view of material. That's where the money is on this device. (Except those who rip their DVD/Blue-Ray collection to their Time-Machine device) The aTV will flop if Apple can't get these mad media mogul contracts settled. I put 50/50 blame on that one (Apple/Media Corps. respectively)
  • Reply 28 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

I wonder if anyone outside of the US has got a shipping date for this Thursday, I know that Apple tends to prioritise the US customers over everyone else, but if it's shipping direct from China the rest of the world might get a look too.

EDIT

I guess everything ships direct from China really so that won't make a difference, no ship date on my order yet here in the UK.

Not as yet. Still got a shipping in September so all good.

Actually i just noticed Apple have put the new ATV on the front of it's UK homepage. So maybe things are about to start happening.
  • Reply 29 of 54
    Quote:

True it's limited, but I have a large content of music, photos and films in iTunes. I've got an Xbox and connect360 on my Mac but the stupid Xbox can't play unprotected movie files from within iTunes.

It's highly frustrating that the Apple TV has more features in the US and that we get the pleasure of paying so much more for it, although I suspect that rather than their usual only the US matters approach this is more due to licensing issues at least on the rentals front.

As the new Apple TV is based on iOS I have no doubt that it will be jailbroken and things like iPlayer will run just fine as they have no problems on any other iOS device.

I wouldn't say that. When i was in Florida i wanted to check the latest football scores so went to the BBC on my laptop and realised i couldn't access it. As i use the BBC service a lot i'd be annoyed if i moved to the States and couldn't access it. So it's horses for courses depending on what you rely on.

I agree with the comment about Sony being able to put BBC iPlayer on the PS3. That's one feature i'd love to see on the Apple TV. Again as Apple is primarily a US company perhaps the focus isn't there and the BBC being a public funded corporation. But if Sony can then surely Apple can.

Apple likes selling products across the pond, in fact relies heavily on it these days, but i guess when it comes to focusing on individual countries that's asking a little much. Out of all the international countries that Apple plunders, the UK probably has the better end of the deal, us being Americanized and all that.

• Reply 30 of 54
    yay mine shipped too, arriving Friday!

Btw, wired network is MUCH faster for Apple TV than WiFi (n).

My aluminum ATV became annoyingly slow under WiFi, I quickly switched back.
  • Reply 31 of 54
    I'm eagerly awaiting reports on how hackable this box is. The lack of a full USB port is troubling in that regard, but the fact that it runs some variant of iOS is very, very promising.
  • Reply 32 of 54
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    FEDX FOR OCT1 DELIVERY

woot
  • Reply 33 of 54
    My AppleTV was ordered 9/3 and in the last hour went to "Prepared for Shipment" status. And "cancel order" is now greyed out as an option.

In case anyone delayed ordering like me until 9/3!

Of course my penalty for delaying is I'll probably have to wait until 10/1 or 10/2 for delivery!

• Reply 34 of 54
    hi there...

i am in the uk, and i have ordered mine on the 2nd Sept... and it has been shipped and delivery date is 01/10/10...

so, need to buy a hdmi cable... :-)
  • Reply 35 of 54
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:

Apple is so US centric it borders on offensive. Sony is a Japanese company and yet has iPlayer support on the PS3, and Microsoft are US based but have Sky Player on the X360. I think it's clear that even in the US Apple has virtually no interest in the ATV, but here in the UK with comedy pricing and key features stripped out it a near pointless object. Why not just pick up an old ATV from eBay? You get a hard drive, and a much nicer aluminium enclosure. Or just buy a PS3.

What's your problem with the X360 playing movies by the way? I must admit I don't use mine for movie streaming anymore (the PS3 does it better), but I used to use it quite a bit for that type of thing and never had a problem. I run Twonkyvision as my DNLA server by the way. (which also feeds a bedroom based Sony Bravia, which again is vastly more feature packed than an ATV (it has iPlayer, Channel 5 on Demand, Love Film, Eurosport, plus a load of other stuff)).
  • Reply 36 of 54
    ordered tv on Sept 1st, received notification of shipment today with a delivery date of Sept 30.

unfortunately for me my delivery date has suddenly changed to oct 5th...i was getting so0OOOoo excited
  • Reply 37 of 54

That's odd... and sucky!

Order Date: Sep 1, 2010 at 12:22 PM PDT

Ship date Sep 28, 2010

Estimated delivery Oct 5, 2010 by 4:30 PM

• Reply 38 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by someonesomewhere View Post

hi there...

i am in the uk, and i have ordered mine on the 2nd Sept... and it has been shipped and delivery date is 01/10/10...

so, need to buy a hdmi cable... :-)

You lucky so and so
  • Reply 39 of 54
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wonder View Post

There haver to be first users, otherwise nothing would ever sell!!!!!

This isn't a new product, it's a new version of an established product. The first users were a couple of years ago...
  • Reply 40 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

Hoping Apple gets this one right.

Really? Then what would you have to post about?