looking for an alternative to apple's 27" monitor

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
The price tag is YIKES when i see the price for a 27" monitor from apple. I will be in the market for a new MBP, and was looking on Amazon for a 27".. the viewsonic pops out as 1ms response time, but not sure what else to look for (Price to Performance ratio). All these monitors seem to be 1/2 or even 1/3 the cost of Apple's 27"

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...y=0&sprefix=27

Any other recommendations would be extremely helpful.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    They're cheaper because the panels suck and aren't anywhere near identical.

They're cheaper because the resolution is lower.

They're cheaper because they're not Apple.

And you lose the webcam, mic, speakers, aluminum, and laptop charger.

Choose whatever you want. The alternatives to the Cinema Display that actually use the same panel cost more than Apple's price.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Choose whatever you want. The alternatives to the Cinema Display that actually use the same panel cost more than Apple's price.

I was hoping to get a non fanboy response, but thank you for your thorough opinion.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by domerdel2 View Post

I was hoping to get a non fanboy response, but thank you for your thorough opinion.

That's hilarious. You don't get the answer you wanted, so it's automatically discounted without any research to prove that it's the truth.

Go do some research on the Samsung panel in the Cinema Display. Then look at displays that actually use that panel. It's either H-IPS or S-IPS. None of the ones in the Amazon link have that caliber of panel, much less that resolution.

You want a 27" monitor with a TN or MVA panel and stretched 1920x1080, be my guest. It's just infantile to say that my response is "fanboyish" when you obviously know nothing about differences in monitor build quality.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    ha ha ha. Be careful you'll get called troll or shill, or something if you dare disagree.

Depends what you are looking for, and what price point. The truth is LED panels aren't cheap. I'm not a fan of apple's "glossy only" policy so they're not an option for me.

If an IPS panel will do, Dell has generally a good bang for the buck, I got the 3008 30", it used the same panel as the apple 30", just a lot cheaper. Around here (Toronto) there's a dealer selling NEC 12bit refurbs for a great price.

That, is a real nice monitor if you need that sort of thing.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:

That's hilarious. You don't get the answer you wanted, so it's automatically discounted without any research to prove that it's the truth.

Go do some research on the Samsung panel in the Cinema Display. Then look at displays that actually use that panel. It's either H-IPS or S-IPS. None of the ones in the Amazon link have that caliber of panel, much less that resolution.

You want a 27" monitor with a TN or MVA panel and stretched 1920x1080, be my guest. It's just infantile to say that my response is "fanboyish" when you obviously know nothing about differences in monitor build quality.

Put this side by side with your first remark. This quoted remark is a bit more thorough and educated... as for the first one, it's tainted with fanboyism (can i coin that? lol).

Listen, I can do the research to some extent, but from my past experience with apple displays, they've been over priced... that 30" display they came out with? not even HDCP compliant, and for what you paid for, compared to what you can get? I was thinking, there has to be some other details i'm missing... you've somewhat bridged those gaps a bit with the follow up details....

my only question is..... why didn't you just give this response the first time around???? LOL
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:

Put this side by side with your first remark. This quoted remark is a bit more thorough and educated... as for the first one, it's tainted with fanboyism (can i coin that? lol).

No. It isn't. You're reading into it what you want to read into it. Nothing I said the first time is any different than what I said the second. You choosing to ignore it because of my wording isn't fanboyism, it's blindness. On YOUR part.

Quote:

that 30" display they came out with? not even HDCP compliant

Because it was made in 2004. Were there ANY HDCP-compliant displays in 2004?

Quote:

my only question is..... why didn't you just give this response the first time around???? LOL

I did. You ignored it. This was your choice.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:

Listen, I can do the research to some extent, but from my past experience with apple displays, they've been over priced... that 30" display they came out with? not even HDCP compliant, and for what you paid for, compared to what you can get? I was thinking, there has to be some other details i'm missing... you've somewhat bridged those gaps a bit with the follow up details....

glad we could, help you out.

LOL
  • Reply 8 of 8
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:

Wow, that came across a little ass-hatty.

Apple monitors are designed achieve better color accuracy than most other common brands. To some people, like high-dollar designers, this is absolutely critical.

Ironically, some gamers don't like the accuracy. They would prefer more saturation or contrast in exchange for decreased accuracy.

My advice would be to go check out some of the alternatives in person. If you can't tell the difference, or don't want the difference, go with your cheap choice. If accuracy matters, Apple's displays are excellent at their price points.

Personally, I love Apple products but can't justify the price of an Apple display. For my needs, that money is better spent on something else in my computer setup.

[EDIT] Hmmm, maybe I shouldn't make claims about Apple's color accuracy. I really haven't kept up on their new LED displays. So.... feel free to read the above as a description of what used to be true. I'm unsure if it still is.