RIM unveils 7-inch 'PlayBook' tablet set to launch in early 2011

Comments

• Reply 21 of 411
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

It also tethers to other BB devices. Something that the iPad should have.

The iPad tethers easily to my iPhone. Of course, without the approval of Apple.
  • Reply 22 of 411
    Why are all these tablets coming out with only a 7" display? Has the success of the iPad limited the supply of 10"(ish) screens for everyone else?

7" is fine for an eBook reader, but too small forna general purpose tablet. It's like comparing a paperback to a glossy magazine.

And why two cameras? Okay, soma front facing camera would be handy on the iPad, but who's going to be taking photos with one of these things? Especially as RIM have basically said that you need a Crackberry to go alongside this.

I think this is basically the Galaxy Tab with a half decent looking tablet OS. Better, but still the wrong form factor (and probably too expensive) to be an iPad beater.
  • Reply 23 of 411
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichyS View Post

Having been repeatedly bitten on the arse by Sony Ericsson's smartphone announcements (dating back to the P990), I think I prefer Apple's way of doing things.

Sorry for smiling broadly...but the way you stated is very humorous!

Best regards!
  • Reply 24 of 411
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

This is the classic, "Shit, our customers are all going to already have bought competitors products by the time we can bring something to market. Maybe if we announce a product we can stall some of them till we actually have something." In other words, a move of desperation.

This is RIM's way of staying relevant until they release their tablet especially after the Torch fiasco..
  • Reply 25 of 411
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

They need time for developers to create apps for it. I agree that they are showing their cards by announcing this so early, but keeping it secretive would mean that the first people to buy it wouldn't have access to many apps.

Even the iPad took two to three months from announcement to release.

That's a good point considering they used a different OS for their tablet and no access to BB App world.
  • Reply 26 of 411
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

You mean, like Apple announcing the iPad in January and not shipping until April? I read "early 2011" as possibly being little more than three months away.

There is a difference between demoing a product in front of a live audience and saying you need 3 months to release it (specifying the exact month it will be released) and creating a fake video in photoshop and saying you will release it "early 2011", a timespan which can range anywhere from Jan-Apr/May.
  • Reply 27 of 411
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

Truly innovative, especially the lack of cell connectivity.

I really like the battery specs to that mention it will run for way over -- wait they never did say how long did they. Since it has tethering maybe you just plug it in anytime you want to use it.

Well at least the look and fell is diff from everything else out there, that will set it apart -- you say it looks like the copied an iPad but left it in the dryer too long?

It should be a good hand warmer though and Flash will be neat on a touch interface - especially the hovering bit.

It should have tons and tons of Apps available for its previously unknown operating system - especially since the processor is a, what was that again? Oh, you think it will require a rather large rewrite for most apps...

This is coming out in late 2009 correct? It's not out till 2011 -- well that's a different story then now isn't it.

I've never seen anyone try so hard to dislike something. Really, your comment is pure bullshit.

This thing is cool! It'll be a nice competitor to the ipad, and maybe even the ipad2. What does that mean? OH RIGHT, it means Apple will step their game up even more-so and customers like you benefit.

BTW, what about this (other than being a tablet) makes it an "Pad left it in the dryer too long"? If anything, this is definitely more of a ripoff of WebOS.
  • Reply 28 of 411
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

The iPad tethers easily to my iPhone. Of course, without the approval of Apple.

I'm well aware that you can jailbreak the iPhone and offer wifi tethering to the iPad. It should be officially supported by Apple though.

It would be a lot nicer if you could just pick up your iPad and use the iPhones internet without you changing any settings on either device after the initial setup. I guess you can do that now if you don't mind continually broadcasting a wifi network.
  • Reply 29 of 411
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Sorry for smiling broadly...but the way you stated is very humorous!

Best regards!

Can't blame them for trying. When a business is failing, re-investing in it is the best thing to do. At least they aren't deciding to go the opposite route, firing half the company and coming up with cheaper and cheaper crapware to sell.

If they fail, fine, that's capitalism, but it's nice to see them make such an effort because it means better products for everyone. Competition is good!
  • Reply 30 of 411
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

That's true but the big difference is there were no mainstream tablets out there when the iPad was introduced. Now it's end of September there's still no tablets that are sold today that can compete with the iPad.

Sure they are coming..

I don't see that as being a big difference. Apple wanted to get the word on the street before other products launched and potentially stole their spotlight. They also wanted to get the SDK out to developers prior to launch. I don't see RIM's announcement as being that much different.
  • Reply 31 of 411
    The multitasking looks like a ripoff WebOS..

Anyways overall I like it. They got their tablet right the first time. Now if Blackberry can just make a better smartphone. The Torch is a complete flop.

Playbook... Maybe the NFL will make this their official tablet.
  • Reply 32 of 411
    Quote:

Why are all these tablets coming out with only a 7" display? Has the success of the iPad limited the supply of 10"(ish) screens for everyone else?

The answer is actually quite simple.

No one has figured out how to make it as cheap as the iPad. The Samsung Galaxy Tab is a 7" tablet and is STILL more expensive than the 9" iPad (unlocked. With a 2 year contract, its cheaper upfront, but over a thousand dollars more expensive over the lifetime of the contract). And the display is the largest cost in the iPad.

Apple certainly prices the iPhone and the Mac at a premium. This is a true fact. However, this blinds most people to the kind of cost efficiencies Apple has achieved, which has made it impossible for competitors to make products competitively priced with stuff like the iPad/iPod Touch.

Consider that its been 3 years since the iPod Touch was released, and there is not a single Android competitor in the market. No one can match the ~$200 price point of the Touch.
  • Reply 33 of 411
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

The multitasking looks like a ripoff WebOS..

Anyways overall I like it. They got their tablet right the first time. Now if Blackberry can just make a better smartphone. The Torch is a complete flop.

Lets be accurate.

They got a mockup video of their tablet right the first time...

Folks, its not an iOS, or a WebOS ripoff.

Its an iOS ad's ripoff, combined with elements of the first WebOS commercials.
  • Reply 34 of 411
    Quote:

7" is fine for an eBook reader, but too small forna general purpose tablet. It's like comparing a paperback to a glossy magazine.

And why two cameras? Okay, soma front facing camera would be handy on the iPad, but who's going to be taking photos with one of these things? Especially as RIM have basically said that you need a Crackberry to go alongside this.

I think this is basically the Galaxy Tab with a half decent looking tablet OS. Better, but still the wrong form factor (and probably too expensive) to be an iPad beater.

My take on the galaxy tab was they wanted to stay mobile. People might feel better about actually going out with the device if it's easier to transport. Also, it might be their way of testing the waters with a cheaper display. If it fails, then it costs them less than if they invested in the larger displays. I'm sure we'll see 10 inch versions of this and the galaxy tab.
  • Reply 35 of 411
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Until a company can demonstrate the actual product working and not some conceptual mock-up, I'll hold judgement.

If it works as smoothly as shown in the video, then it should be a good device. However, there's still the issue of the screen size, battery life, and of course price.

Also, by the time this hits the streets, Apple will have unveiled the second generation iPad, which will undoubtedly have specs on par if not superior, not to mention iOS 4.3 with a few enhancements. I'm also willing to bet Apple will unveil the successor to the A4, the A5.
  • Reply 36 of 411
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

Lets be accurate.

They got a mockup video of their tablet right the first time...

Folks, its not an iOS, or a WebOS ripoff.

Its an iOS ad's ripoff, combined with elements of the first WebOS commercials.

LOL

yeah it's kind of hard to get it wrong when they're just filming an emulator running on much higher spec'd machines. Hell, I don't even know if we're seeing the actual OS, or a computer-generated example of what it will be, you know what I mean? HTC did this plenty of times with their videos on youtube. I mean shit, if you look at the touch pro video, you'd think that thing was as snappy as it could get. WRONG!
  • Reply 37 of 411
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Most other companies aren't paranoid like Apple when it comes to releasing specs. Not saying that is good or bad just that Steve Jobs tends to be the only one that worries about stuff like that.

Y'know one company that is paranoid about releasing specs? Bose. And when you think about it, the complaints about Bose are similar to the ones about Apple. Basically that they advertise to overcome an inferior technical product. Of course, the complaints are from people who worry about crossover frequencies....

Still, it's kind of a striking similarity I never thought about before.
  • Reply 38 of 411
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

There is a difference between demoing a product in front of a live audience and saying you need 3 months to release it (specifying the exact month it will be released) and creating a fake video in photoshop and saying you will release it "early 2011", a timespan which can range anywhere from Jan-Apr/May.

What's "fake" about the video? In fact it looks a lot like something Apple might do. A public demo also doesn't tell you much except that they've got working prototypes. I don't have any idea whether this product will be any good, or whether it will ship in three or six months, or never. But I think it's silly to criticize RIM for pre-announcing the product with a gee-wiz video, when that's exactly the kind of thing Apple does, and does so well.
  • Reply 39 of 411
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

I've never seen anyone try so hard to dislike something. Really, your comment is pure bullshit.

This thing is cool! It'll be a nice competitor to the ipad, and maybe even the ipad2. What does that mean? OH RIGHT, it means Apple will step their game up even more-so and customers like you benefit.

BTW, what about this (other than being a tablet) makes it an "Pad left it in the dryer too long"? If anything, this is definitely more of a ripoff of WebOS.

How do you know it's going to be cool? From a mocked up video? I seem to recall a lot of people that were pretty sure the Courier was going to kick ass and take names, based on a video, and we know how that turned out....

Maybe it'll be nice. Maybe it'll be deeply flawed. I'm very curious about battery life, since the specs sound pretty power hungry.

At any rate, about the best we can say at this point is that RIM is going to bring a 5"x7" touch tablet to market running an OS they recently purchased and that given the specs it should be reasonably speedy. Beyond that (and by every metric that really counts-- ease of use, interaction with eco-system, if any, battery life, quality of apps) we don't really know anything.
  • Reply 40 of 411
    So they big up all the specs but don't mention the battery life. Very suspicious \