RIM unveils 7-inch 'PlayBook' tablet set to launch in early 2011

Comments

• Reply 41 of 411
    all I can think is 'Microsoft Courier' whenever I see these marketing based promotional videos - too early to say whether this is pure hot air or actually has some substance.
  • Reply 42 of 411
    Can someone explain how they can get 1080 HD from this display? Am I missing something?
  • Reply 43 of 411
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    so, let me get this straight...folks are getting all wet about this and isn't even a product yet.

and, someone posted about android 3. i guess we'll see.

apple has probably had the next version of iOS in testing/development for a while now, so realistically, android 3 will still have to play catch up.

they're already behind. better get crackin'
  • Reply 44 of 411
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

This is the classic, "Shit, our customers are all going to already have bought competitors products by the time we can bring something to market. Maybe if we announce a product we can stall some of them till we actually have something." In other words, a move of desperation.

Yeah, sounds like what M$ tried with their SlatePC pony show at CES earlier this year. And what has that that produced so far...
  • Reply 45 of 411
    Da ya thunk del get 'er out beefaw da fat laty sungz?

Seriously, they should call it Palmberry!
  • Reply 46 of 411
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

How do you know it's going to be cool? From a mocked up video? I seem to recall a lot of people that were pretty sure the Courier was going to kick ass and take names, based on a video, and we know how that turned out....

Maybe it'll be nice. Maybe it'll be deeply flawed. I'm very curious about battery life, since the specs sound pretty power hungry.

At any rate, about the best we can say at this point is that RIM is going to bring a 5"x7" touch tablet to market running an OS they recently purchased and that given the specs it should be reasonably speedy. Beyond that (and by every metric that really counts-- ease of use, interaction with eco-system, if any, battery life, quality of apps) we don't really know anything.

Well, you're right, I'm calling the device we see in the video cool. The actual device could be far from it, and delayed lol. In fact, it's not unlikely they say this thing will come out at a certain time, and when that time gets here, they delay it, not because something new has come up, but because that's what the plan was all along. Just so long as they can keep people from buying a tablet from now until when they promise it's coming.

Either way, all that stuff that dude listed was just bizarre. It's like he's trying to convince himself not to consider this thing more than anyone else.
  • Reply 47 of 411
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac_Keeper_Fan_Mod View Post

I'm confused on their message.

Their message is "this is going to be a cool product."
  • Reply 48 of 411
    Is it just me, or is there a vaporous software/hardware feel to this ad? Reminds me of those etherial OpenScreen project videos:

http://www.openscreenproject.org/
  • Reply 49 of 411
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

You mean, like Apple announcing the iPad in January and not shipping until April? I read "early 2011" as possibly being little more than three months away.

Apple announced the iPad approx 66 days (Jan 27 - April 3) before shipping. January 1st is over 90 days away, and I highly doubt it ships in January at all, so we're looking at over 120 days.
  • Reply 50 of 411
    App-Rocking? LOL

BB is famous with their small screen, and do you want to run that app on 1024x600?
  • Reply 51 of 411
    1080p??? Not on a 600 line display, that will not even do 720p
  • Reply 52 of 411
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macjbraun View Post

Can someone explain how they can get 1080 HD from this display? Am I missing something?

The HDMI port.
  • Reply 53 of 411
    I GB of RAM .. what's up with that? A typo or ... ?
  • Reply 54 of 411
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by battiato1981 View Post

I GB of RAM .. what's up with that? A typo or ... ?

The iPhone 4 has 512 MB, it's quite possible that the iPad 2 will have a gig as well and launch in a similar timeframe.
  • Reply 55 of 411
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

You mean, like Apple announcing the iPad in January and not shipping until April? I read "early 2011" as possibly being little more than three months away.

I highly doubt they will be shipping it in January.
  • Reply 56 of 411
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

LOL

yeah it's kind of hard to get it wrong when they're just filming an emulator running on much higher spec'd machines. Hell, I don't even know if we're seeing the actual OS, or a computer-generated example of what it will be, you know what I mean? HTC did this plenty of times with their videos on youtube. I mean shit, if you look at the touch pro video, you'd think that thing was as snappy as it could get. WRONG!

Everything works well in PowerPoint.
  • Reply 57 of 411
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

This is the classic, "Shit, our customers are all going to already have bought competitors products by the time we can bring something to market. Maybe if we announce a product we can stall some of them till we actually have something." In other words, a move of desperation.

Yep, right out of the Ballmer playbook .... (pun intended lol)
  • Reply 58 of 411
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

How do you know it's going to be cool? From a mocked up video? I seem to recall a lot of people that were pretty sure the Courier was going to kick ass and take names, based on a video, and we know how that turned out....

Maybe it'll be nice. Maybe it'll be deeply flawed. I'm very curious about battery life, since the specs sound pretty power hungry.

At any rate, about the best we can say at this point is that RIM is going to bring a 5"x7" touch tablet to market running an OS they recently purchased and that given the specs it should be reasonably speedy. Beyond that (and by every metric that really counts-- ease of use, interaction with eco-system, if any, battery life, quality of apps) we don't really know anything.

+++ QFT

Best post yet on this thread!

• Reply 59 of 411
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Everything works well in PowerPoint.

Well in Keynote at least
  • Reply 60 of 411
    Quote:

They are targeting business and the first things they show are digital camera, photos, music, then they show a boring business office for like 5 seconds and it doesn't even have the pad in the shot, next thing you see is it playing NHL sports in a flash player on vemo, a park bench reading books, more youtube, flicker, chatting on AOL or something... yah, such a business device!

I was thinking exactly the same thing. I won't paint my self as a flamer or fanboy by speculating as to how terrible or wonderful this device may or may not end up being, but I can say with confidence that I do not believe that the video supported the "business" moniker that RIM has attached to this device.