RIM unveils 7-inch 'PlayBook' tablet set to launch in early 2011

Comments

• Reply 61 of 411
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

I've never seen anyone try so hard to dislike something. Really, your comment is pure bullshit.

This thing is cool! It'll be a nice competitor to the ipad, and maybe even the ipad2. What does that mean? OH RIGHT, it means Apple will step their game up even more-so and customers like you benefit.

BTW, what about this (other than being a tablet) makes it an "Pad left it in the dryer too long"? If anything, this is definitely more of a ripoff of WebOS.

How is his comment bullshit? I think battery life, processor overload with Flash and having a good app store are all valid concerns.
  • Reply 62 of 411
    Tether is not the same as Pair. Until they give more details, I wouldn't assume what that does other than sync contacts/calendar...
  • Reply 63 of 411
    I'm curious as to what size will win out: 7" or 9.7".

I'll sit back and wait for the:" that's what she said" jokes.
  • Reply 64 of 411
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

The HDMI port.

Or, I could just stream content from my iPad to a TV using something like, oh I don't know... oh yeah: AirPlay.

If Rim things they're going to shed their corporate roots and become a media hub, they're delusional.

1080p is just a feature-list check-off.
  • Reply 64 of 411
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleStud View Post

Apple announced the iPad approx 66 days (Jan 27 - April 3) before shipping. January 1st is over 90 days away, and I highly doubt it ships in January at all, so we're looking at over 120 days.

Plus Apple announced something pretty significant -- PRICING. And developers had an SDK to work with immediately after announcement. right now, this thing is vaporware.

The worst spec on this thing is the most overlooked, and that is it only runs Blackberry apps. they are using a new OS variant (their own version of QNX) on this thing so there won't be alot of industry help in moving this forward.

Good effort, we'll see how the execution goes...
  • Reply 66 of 411
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    "The BlackBerry PlayBook solidly hits the mark with industry leading power, true multitasking, uncompromised Web browsing and high performance multimedia."

Except it's not a product and not 4 sale. Whoop-tee-doo.
  • Reply 67 of 411
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

What's "fake" about the video?

The reason why they don't show an actual device in the video is because they don't have a device ready to show. That's what people mean by "fake".
  • Reply 68 of 411
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wonder View Post

Reading the specs and the provided info, it appears that content is not stored on the PlayBook itself, but is passed to it from a BlackBerry phone, or am I missing something?

1GB RAM is that for real? So you need this and a BlackBerry to carry your media around with you?

Why is it that these companies always make a huge mistake in their designs?

And look at the size of the bezel!

Engadget has a bunch of photos up --- the back of the RIM tablet said 16 GB storage.
  • Reply 69 of 411
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Or price. RIM was able to maintain their lead in the smartphone market because their phones are heavily discounted and subsidized by carriers. It will be a hard sell without a carrier subsidize especially if the price is higher than the iPad.

True. HP had the same problem with the Slate. It was going to come to market at 800.00 or at least that was the strong rumor back in March. Then when Apple released at 499.00 that killed HP and to the best of my knowledge the Slate isn't going to be relased at least for now.

In any case this looks like a decent device at least on paper, however the only device I can see even being competition for the iPad at this point is somethin made by HTC that runs Android 3.0. Based on rumors from PC World that device in in the works now.

If Apple continues to move forward and mature the iPad even more so if they release a decent hardware update early next year I find it hard for anyone to catch up. I think Android could make a decent showing but I think they are the only ones that can.

RIM is going to have a hard time getting anything off the ground.
  • Reply 70 of 411
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

The multitasking looks like a ripoff WebOS..

Anyways overall I like it. They got their tablet right the first time. Now if Blackberry can just make a better smartphone. The Torch is a complete flop.

Playbook... Maybe the NFL will make this their official tablet.

I haven't been paying much attention to RIM so I don't know what their sales are like, but the people I know who have both iOS and BlackBerry experience think the Torch is not only the best phone RIM has come out with, they prefer the Torch to the iPhone.
  • Reply 71 of 411
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macnyc View Post

I highly doubt they will be shipping it in January.

With nothing to go on, I have no reason think one way or another.
  • Reply 72 of 411
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ctwise View Post

The reason why they don't show an actual device in the video is because they don't have a device ready to show. That's what people mean by "fake".

Oh come on. Enough with the double standards. Apple does this kind of thing all the time.
  • Reply 73 of 411
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Or, I could just stream content from my iPad to a TV using something like, oh I don't know... oh yeah: AirPlay.

If Rim things they're going to shed their corporate roots and become a media hub, they're delusional.

Don't you need an Apple TV to use AirPlay or a TV that supports AirPlay which none currently does?
  • Reply 74 of 411
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Oh come on. Enough with the double standards. Apple does this kind of thing all the time.

Yeah, Jobs' MWSF keynote presentation of the original iPhone in January 2007--6 months in advance of public availability--looked totally fake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mvqa8mFpCpY

Apple does this kind of stuff all the time.
  • Reply 75 of 411

... Is it good enough enough and soon enough to change any iPad buying decisions.

Will anyone accept a "good for one PlayBook" gift card in his Xmas stocking?

Will IT or enteprise delay their "tablet" deployment projects for this?

I think the answer is no to all of the above -- it's pretty hard to go wrong with a $500 bird in the hand.

Sent from my real, live bird!

• Reply 76 of 411
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

I haven't been paying much attention to RIM so I don't know what their sales are like, but the people I know who have both iOS and BlackBerry experience think the Torch is not only the best phone RIM has come out with, they prefer the Torch to the iPhone.

That's the thing though. Mostly if not only BB faithfuls love the Torch. How many people ditched their iPhones or Androids to get a Torch? I agree it's the best "RIM" phone but it is not in the same league as the iPhone and Android, not even close.
  • Reply 77 of 411
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Yeah, Jobs' MWSF keynote presentation of the original iPhone in January 2007--6 months in advance of public availability--looked totally fake.

I don't know if this is supposed to be sarcastic or not, but I'm not the one accusing anyone of fakery.
  • Reply 78 of 411
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Or price. RIM was able to maintain their lead in the smartphone market because their phones are heavily discounted and subsidized by carriers. It will be a hard sell without a carrier subsidize especially if the price is higher than the iPad.

And Apple was able to sell that many iphones because carriers had to massively subsidize the iphone --- to the point that AT&T had to issue a profit margin warning.
  • Reply 79 of 411
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Talk about a fanboy response. Someone asked how it could display 1080p video with its less than 1080p screen and wondered if they were missing something. I pointed out what there were missing. That is all. I never once compared it to the iPad.

Not everything made by companies other than Apple is bad. You can love Apple products and still be a little objective. I'd love to have the ability to output video though HDMI from my iPhone. I'm not going to write off a product that looks good just because we know very little about it. Unknown doesn't mean bad.

PS: I love the idea AirPlay, I think it's going to be huge. I just don't know why you felt the need to bring up a 720p streaming service when I was telling someone how the PlayBook would output 1080p video.
  • Reply 80 of 411
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markm49uk View Post

all I can think is 'Microsoft Courier' whenever I see these marketing based promotional videos - too early to say whether this is pure hot air or actually has some substance.

That's exactly what I was thinking. There are so many people still devastated that the Courier wasn't released - I never considered it "real" - but they talk about it like it was just short of getting shrink-wrapped.

RIM has had a few months to digest the iPad and wants to have something to market less than a year after actually getting their hands on one. Can their product compete with one that spent years in development by a company with deep OS experience?

Doesn't sound promising to me.