Buy an iPhone4, cancel contract?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Hi,

Do you guys know if this is possible.

I buy an iPhone 4 from AT&T on a two year contract and then cancel the contract, paying the termination fee.

I then unlock the phone and put it on another carrier; non CDMA of course.

Would this work?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    iPhone 4: $199.

Activation Fee: $30.

First month of service: $70 minimum.

ETF: $325.

iPhone 4 unlocked on eBay: LESS THAN THAT.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Get on thru eBay, much cheaper and hassle free (if done right).
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jav6454 View Post

Get on thru eBay, much cheaper and hassle free (if done right).

Hmm, thanks for the advice.

After checking on ebay though, the cheapest price is around $800. A lot more than buying one from AT&T and unlocking etc.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RabidRabbit View Post

Hmm, thanks for the advice.

After checking on ebay though, the cheapest price is around $800. A lot more than buying one from AT&T and unlocking etc.

Ok, here I'll do the math for you.

Say the 16GB iPhone 4. $199. Now, the ETF from AT&T $325. So far that's $524 total. Now, take into account the first month (ProRated) and the second month of service. At minimum, that would be $90, making this stunt cost $614. Now, recall you have to have the Activation fee which is $30. That's $644. All said and done, you are still missing the unlock, which is unattainable right now. So basically you spent $644 to have a useless device because you can't make calls with it.

Oh, more so, say you go with the no-commintement pricing, thats $599 for the 16GB plus tax. It comes around to $642.43 @ a 7.25% tax rate. Again, still stuck without the unlock.

On eBay you get to pay a little more but you get a phone that was factory unlocked.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jav6454 View Post

Ok, here I'll do the math for you.

Say the 16GB iPhone 4. $199. Now, the ETF from AT&T $325. So far that's $524 total. Now, take into account the first month (ProRated) and the second month of service. At minimum, that would be $90, making this stunt cost $614. Now, recall you have to have the Activation fee which is $30. That's $644. All said and done, you are still missing the unlock, which is unattainable right now. So basically you spent $644 to have a useless device because you can't make calls with it.

Oh, more so, say you go with the no-commintement pricing, thats $599 for the 16GB plus tax. It comes around to $642.43 @ a 7.25% tax rate. Again, still stuck without the unlock.

On eBay you get to pay a little more but you get a phone that was factory unlocked.

Hmm, another great point. Thanks for that.

Why is that in the U.S we have to be locked to AT&T when every other country you can buy your iphone unlocked? Minimum of $70 a month you say? Over the course of 2 years that's $1,680! Crazyness. I may just get my friend over in the UK to send one over for me.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by suviawilliams View Post

Hi Friends

I buy an iPhone 4 from AT&T on a two year contract and then cancel the contract, give the money of termination fee.

I then unlock the phone and put it on another carrier; non CDMA of course.

Did it work ok? Also, how much is the termination fee?
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:

Did it work ok? Also, how much is the termination fee?

$325. You have to wait a month to terminate if you want to keep the phone.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

$325. You have to wait a month to terminate if you want to keep the phone.

Were you able to unlock it ok?
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:

Were you able to unlock it ok?

Me? I won mine on Day One 2007. Never had to deal with that nonsense.

And of course you'll be able to unlock it. They're no different than any other iPhone. Enjoy.