RIM unveils 7-inch 'PlayBook' tablet set to launch in early 2011

Comments

• Reply 121 of 411
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LewysBlackmore View Post

The ad only had brief split second snippets of the actual device running the OS/software. Everything else was images projected/CGI'd onto backgrounds. Nice effect, but notoriously short on real. Compared to the Apple ads which show the device at work (and are admittedly time-compressed in spots) this isn't a definitive demonstration of what it CAN do, only what they want you to think it can do. It's marketing, and not bad stuff at that. The actual device remains to be seen in the wild until next year sometime (assuming at best EARLY in 2011 - with no parts issues or short-run problems). After all they need to stay in the market and be seen as relevant. It's their market segment under attack here.

My name is Dick Applebaum, and I support this message!

• Reply 122 of 411
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

ATT is making money hands over fist with the iPhone.

The "profit warning" (not sure what you are talking about, tbh, since these can be for many reasons, but I am assuming you are talking about when they advised shareholders in the first quarter after the $200 iPhone released that the next quarter profits would be depressed) was issued because the iPhone has a large upfront cost for ATT (they pay Apple the ~600 bucks the moment an iPhone is sold) which depressed the first couple of quarters' earnings for ATT, but the nearly 2400 they make off a customer comes over a period of 2 years. As a decently large iPhone subscriber base was built up, this effect completely disappeared.

Verizon Wireless is a lot more profitable than AT&T Wireless.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

This has nothing do to with verizon. I don't know why you love to stick verizon in every iPhone and blackberry discussion. Verizon is not the only carrier in the world to offer free blackberry phones. The fact is blackberry phones cost almost no initial payment to purchase.

A few iphone carriers around the world have free iphones on contract -- like Vodafone in Ireland.

http://www.vodafone.ie/iphone/paymonthly/
  • Reply 123 of 411
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

How is it professional when it's called PlayBook. that's so awful!

What I thought of when I saw playbook wasn't some book to play with, but rather a useful tool much like that of a playbook a football coach would use. Playbook can be equated to what the plan for the business day would be, or what the plan to achieve certain goals is. Know what I mean?
  • Reply 124 of 411
    Quote:

I disagree. The difference is that you wont see Apple TV in classrooms, and conference rooms where you might want to show a presentation. This is an extremely useful feature, that serves a different purpose from AirPlay.

That being said, its not like the iPad cannot do it already...

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...eo_output.html

Why do you think that we won't see AppleTV in the classroom, conference room, boardroom, operating room?

$99 is a lot cheaper than many projector setups... And most of these rooms already have TVs.

• Reply 125 of 411
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

What I thought of when I saw playbook wasn't some book to play with, but rather a useful tool much like that of a playbook a football coach would use. Playbook can be equated to what the plan for the business day would be, or what the plan to achieve certain goals is. Know what I mean?

ya, what he said
  • Reply 126 of 411
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

awwwww SHNAP

true. But then again, never let a few facts get in the way of an ideologically driven rant.
  • Reply 127 of 411
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Why do you think that we won't see AppleTV in the classroom?

Why would you expect to see it in the classroom? As I understand it, the Apple TV will stream rented content (at least initially). if you had to pay for viewing in each classroom, that could cost a lot more than buying a dvd to show in different classrooms.
  • Reply 128 of 411
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:

The comparison to Apple's style makes no sense. When was the first time Apple showed us anything about a product without demo'ing and actual working unit on stage first?

And are you seriously asking me what is fake about a demo where we don't see the device, but all we see are projections of a touchscreen device on bus stops, guitar amps, and photo frames?

For all you know, they could have captured the output of an iPad app they created, and placed it on all those surfaces...

And a public demo of the type Apple does tells you a LOT. But more importantly, Apple's track record of demoing completely new devices, and releasing them withing at worst a couple of weeks of the promised date says a lot more. Blackberry has no such record (or at least as deep a record as Apple) of doing anything outside of a phone.

As a way to demonstrate how worthless this video is,consider an impartial observer viewing this video, and the video of MSFT courier that was floating around Youtube. Most assuredly they would expect the Courier to be released first. Alternatively, consider the demos the "Duke Nukem Forever" team kept releasing (most of which were more polished than this) and ask where that game has been for the last decade...

Duke Nukem Forever is scheduled for shipping in 2011! Finally! They showed it off at PAX a couple weeks ago.

Oh wait,

nothing changed did it...
  • Reply 129 of 411
    if it's a good product, it'll sell well. BB has a good sized market share...

If it sucks, well it'll tank. Personally, I prefer the 7" size, having used an ipad, and used a samsung tab. That's my own preference. But at this point, like the iOS platform best. We'll see where android/BB goes from here.

At best, competition, drives others to make better things, and more features.
  • Reply 130 of 411
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Apple's 'paranoia' has as much to do with showmanship and presentation as anything else. I have no idea why people get upset about the secrecy. Do you (you, as in all the people that routinely complain about this), get all petulant when your parents refuse to tell you what they bought for your birthday present? The secrecy is part of the event. The showmanship is SJ's thing. He loves the 'one more thing' as much as the next guy and he is the one who gets to deliver the line. But the true reason behind Apple's secrecy is that it has always been, and continues to be the primary reason the company receives millions and millions worth of free publicity every year. (see previous article)

Do I seem upset? Thats odd. My comment was based on something another member posted about RIM giving out their specs. Apple didn't always get alot of press some of you have very short memories the times haven't always been good for Apple or for those of us that hold stock.

Steve Jobs have always been paranoid.
  • Reply 131 of 411
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samab View Post

Verizon Wireless is a lot more profitable than AT&T Wireless.

A few iphone carriers around the world have free iphones on contract -- like Vodafone in Ireland.

http://www.vodafone.ie/iphone/paymonthly/

Few not Every.
  • Reply 132 of 411
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

How is it professional when it's called PlayBook. that's so awful!

It is a bad name. The BlackPad would have been much better. Using the word 'play' doesn't work when it comes to adults. Playschool, playground etc work in a kid's context but for a professional device... I agree - awful.
  • Reply 133 of 411
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

It is a bad name. The BlackPad would have been much better. Using the word 'play' doesn't work when it comes to adults. Playschool, playground etc work in a kid's context but for a professional device... I agree - awful.

No one cares about a name. That was talked about here for weeks when it came to the iPad and we can see that name really hurt sales. The real world could care less what a product is called that stupid nonsense only comes up on forums.
  • Reply 134 of 411
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grking View Post

Well, according to CNBC, this thing ships next month to corporations and developers

http://www.cnbc.com/id/39386888

So the idea that this is pure vaporware just took a hit.

The article also states that pricing will be in the lower range of current tablet prices.

Ahh.... Yes CNBC! The article did shed some light on why Dual Cores... My guess it's one core for each of the co-CEOs.

Good thing they aren't planning a quad-core..... Or.....

What's that all about?

• Reply 135 of 411
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grking View Post

Why would you expect to see it in the classroom? As I understand it, the Apple TV will stream rented content (at least initially). if you had to pay for viewing in each classroom, that could cost a lot more than buying a dvd to show in different classrooms.

...and it will stream stuff thrown at it from an iPad via AirPlay

...and it will stream stuff from iTunes on your Mac or PC. Doesn't have to be commercial iTunes store material, any video you have in iTunes will be just fine.
  • Reply 136 of 411
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markm49uk View Post

all I can think is 'Microsoft Courier' whenever I see these marketing based promotional videos - too early to say whether this is pure hot air or actually has some substance.

So a full on media event, with the big boss, multiple partners and so on is the same as a series of videos that Microsoft never really admitted existed?
  • Reply 137 of 411
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Oh come on. Enough with the double standards. Apple does this kind of thing all the time.

Care to elaborate?
  • Reply 138 of 411
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Do I seem upset? Thats odd. My comment was based on something another member posted about RIM giving out their specs. Apple didn't always get alot of press some of you have very short memories the times haven't always been good for Apple or for those of us that hold stock.

Steve Jobs is smart enough to know what might happen if a product is announced too soon, especially if it replaces an existing product.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osborne_effect
  • Reply 139 of 411
    Quote:

Don't get upset, now. (That's why I qualified my comment s - so you wouldn't ... never mind..) Apple has not alway been getting as good or as much press but the SJ's presentations are legendary and have Apple's product unveilings have always received good more press than they probably ever warranted. Keeping the faithful on their toes during the less good years was also important and in the end, extremely valuable.
  • Reply 140 of 411
    Quote:

No one cares about a name. That was talked about here for weeks when it came to the iPad and we can see that name really hurt sales. The real world could care less what a product is called that stupid nonsense only comes up on forums.

I agree but it is bad name nonetheless. The ridiculous discussion that went on here and in other forums had to do with the fact that a number individuals couldn't get past the idea of the sanitary towel connection. That and that the iPod could be confused with the iPad in some countries. The iPad as it turns out is a good name. Once a name has been around for a while we tend to stop being critical. But while the fun lasts - PlayBook is an awful name.