RIM unveils 7-inch 'PlayBook' tablet set to launch in early 2011

Comments

• Reply 141 of 411
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Looks like they are going to need to work on that ecosystem. PlayBook runs QNX with webkit and BB runs ...whatever and BB browser. A completely new platform seams like it would cause problems with compatibility unless they transition their phone OS too. Wow are they screwed.
  • Reply 142 of 411
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grking View Post

Why would you expect to see it in the classroom? As I understand it, the Apple TV will stream rented content (at least initially). if you had to pay for viewing in each classroom, that could cost a lot more than buying a dvd to show in different classrooms.

It streams any streamable content from your iTunes pc or iOS 4.2 device (iPad, iPhone, iPad touch) to your HDTV via AirPlay to the new AppleTV. Ya' gotcher home movies, slide shows, ripped DVDs, Podcast Videos, and, likely KeyNote presos...

Nothing says that AirPlay content has to be rented or purchased from the iTunes store.

There are streaming APIs in thr iOS SDK, so any developer can write a streaming app...

• Reply 143 of 411
    So we all know about the various Apple device "killers" out there. Apple has opened up what has proved (for them) to be a very successful new market segment in handheld devices. The width and depth of this market has not yet been determined, but like their computers, iPod and the iPhone, they have already carved out for themselves the juiciest and most profitable part of the market. In the case of the iPod - that didn't leave much.

To give you an analogy - the fillet of beef is by no means the largest part of the steer, but it IS the most tender and desirable part - and costs the most. Hamburger on the other hand is cheap and plentiful. What remains of the newly re-imagined tablet market is the hamburger part. And that is where Dell, Android, RIM, Samsung and most of the other players will be cutting their part of the market from. Remember, you need to look at their margins on these devices. To support any sort of profitability, they need to keep component costs as low as possible. Cheap parts makes for a cheap device, but also reduces the lifespan of that device, and leaves behind dissatisfied customers.

RIM has already indicated they will price low to drive volume, just as Google and the carriers did with Android. RIM is known also for their BOGOs to drive device sales. There is lots of steer left - ribs, steaks - what have you. And for us carni/omnivores its all tasty. But if I can get filet on a regular basis - yeah that's where I will spend my money.

It's OK. Even though the fandroids love to trumpet marketshare, marketshare isn't the be-all and end-all of success. Owning most of the profits for your segment, being one of the most highly accepted companies by satisfied consumers, and having the ability to drive repeated innovation, not to mention one of the highest capitalizations among your peer companies (are there any, really?) THAT is success.

So let the paranoid former pager/email device companies, the low-end commodity device companies, the entrenched handset and wannabe mobile ad empires all roll out their devices, claim their marketshares and divide up what remains. It's all good.
  • Reply 144 of 411
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Why do you think that we won't see AppleTV in the classroom, conference room, boardroom, operating room?

$99 is a lot cheaper than many projector setups... And most of these rooms already have TVs.

You must have an odd view of the world.
  • Reply 145 of 411
    As our Telecom Manager involved in managing our devices for many years my first thought is, "If RIM cannot even get their smartphones right, how can they be expected to put out a decent tablet"? It seems like their last interesting evolution was the Blackberry Pearl several years ago. Why can't they realize that their touch devices should be flat and easy to type on?
  • Reply 146 of 411
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

not to mention iOS 4.3 with a few enhancements.

And shortly thereafter iOS 5 which hopefully revamps notifications and offers a more modern take on multi-tasking application switching.
  • Reply 147 of 411
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LewysBlackmore View Post

So we all know about the various Apple device "killers" out there. Apple has opened up what has proved (for them) to be a very successful new market segment in handheld devices. The width and depth of this market has not yet been determined, but like their computers, iPod and the iPhone, they have already carved out for themselves the juiciest and most profitable part of the market. In the case of the iPod - that didn't leave much.

To give you an analogy - the fillet of beef is by no means the largest part of the steer, but it IS the most tender and desirable part - and costs the most. Hamburger on the other hand is cheap and plentiful. What remains of the newly re-imagined tablet market is the hamburger part. And that is where Dell, Android, RIM, Samsung and most of the other players will be cutting their part of the market from. Remember, you need to look at their margins on these devices. To support any sort of profitability, they need to keep component costs as low as possible. Cheap parts makes for a cheap device, but also reduces the lifespan of that device, and leaves behind dissatisfied customers.

RIM has already indicated they will price low to drive volume, just as Google and the carriers did with Android. RIM is known also for their BOGOs to drive device sales. There is lots of steer left - ribs, steaks - what have you. And for us carni/omnivores its all tasty. But if I can get filet on a regular basis - yeah that's where I will spend my money.

It's OK. Even though the fandroids love to trumpet marketshare, marketshare isn't the be-all and end-all of success. Owning most of the profits for your segment, being one of the most highly accepted companies by satisfied consumers, and having the ability to drive repeated innovation, not to mention one of the highest capitalizations among your peer companies (are there any, really?) THAT is success.

So let the paranoid former pager/email device companies, the low-end commodity device companies, the entrenched handset and wannabe mobile ad empires all roll out their devices, claim their marketshares and divide up what remains. It's all good.

Wow... Just wow!

• Reply 148 of 411
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Don't get upset, now. (That's why I qualified my comment s - so you wouldn't ... never mind..) Apple has not alway been getting as good or as much press but the SJ's presentations are legendary and have Apple's product unveilings have always received good more press than they probably ever warranted. Keeping the faithful on their toes during the less good years was also important and in the end, extremely valuable.

When Steve Jobs gives a keynote it doesn't make any major news station so I wouldn't call them legendary. The only one that I would say made primetime news was the intro of the iPad.

In any case I don't want too get too far off topic this isn't the press thread.
  • Reply 149 of 411
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

You must have an odd view of the world.

Maybe it's an odd view of the world to you...

But I was able to retire at age 50 -- partially due to selling thousands of computers into classrooms, conference rooms, boardrooms... No operating rooms though -- the technology wasn't there yet!

• Reply 150 of 411
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

I agree but it is bad name nonetheless. The ridiculous discussion that went on here and in other forums had to do with the fact that a number individuals couldn't get past the idea of the sanitary towel connection. That and that the iPod could be confused with the iPad in some countries. The iPad as it turns out is a good name. Once a name has been around for a while we tend to stop being critical. But while the fun lasts - PlayBook is an awful name.

Maybe because I use other products besides Apple I am use to names thats suck...lol. I mean when you have Windows 95 then Windows 98 then Windows Xp how less creative can you get when it comes to naming.

I don't know if RIM is going to do well with this anyways I think RIM is on the downslide big time.

If no Tablet makes it to market in 2010 which is appears it won't then I don't see anyone catching the iPad. I just dont see it happening if the iPad hits a second generation without any real competition.
  • Reply 151 of 411
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samab View Post

Verizon Wireless is a lot more profitable than AT&T Wireless.

A few iphone carriers around the world have free iphones on contract -- like Vodafone in Ireland.

http://www.vodafone.ie/iphone/paymonthly/

You think so, eh?

http://www.google.com/finance?q=T

Net Profit Margins:

AT&T: 13.32

VZ: 5.78

P/E Ratio:

AT&T: 13.46

VZ: 127.26

Market Cap:

AT&T: 13.46

VZ: 127.26

Income Revenues:

AT&T: $170.59 Billion

VZ: $92.89

Stock Price:

AT&T: 28.87

VZ: 32.86

I can go on. Sorry, but Verizon Communications is not more profitable than AT&T
  • Reply 152 of 411
    Quote:

Ahh.... Yes CNBC! The article did shed some light on why Dual Cores... My guess it's one core for each of the co-CEOs.

Good thing they aren't planning a quad-core..... Or.....

What's that all about?

I am sorry, but I do not see how your post is in any way related to mine, unless you are attempting to dismiss CNBC as a news source.
  • Reply 153 of 411
    Quote:

The operative words are going to be!

I suspect that, if he wanted to, Steve could demo a device tomorrow with equal or better specs, for say, $399.

Give it a Feb 2011 availability, with the known ecosystem of iOS, SDK (available today), app store...

What would that do to all these iPad wannabes?

Well right, it is advertising.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

The comparison to Apple's style makes no sense. When was the first time Apple showed us anything about a product without demo'ing and actual working unit on stage first?

And are you seriously asking me what is fake about a demo where we don't see the device, but all we see are projections of a touchscreen device on bus stops, guitar amps, and photo frames?

For all you know, they could have captured the output of an iPad app they created, and placed it on all those surfaces...

And a public demo of the type Apple does tells you a LOT. But more importantly, Apple's track record of demoing completely new devices, and releasing them withing at worst a couple of weeks of the promised date says a lot more. Blackberry has no such record (or at least as deep a record as Apple) of doing anything outside of a phone.

As a way to demonstrate how worthless this video is,consider an impartial observer viewing this video, and the video of MSFT courier that was floating around Youtube. Most assuredly they would expect the Courier to be released first. Alternatively, consider the demos the "Duke Nukem Forever" team kept releasing (most of which were more polished than this) and ask where that game has been for the last decade...

Some people assumed that the Courier was a real product because Microsoft leaked the concept. That was always a silly thing to assume. OTOH, RIM has used this video as their product announcement. If was totally faked, as you suggest it could be "for all we know," you might stop for a moment and consider the consequences for RIM of releasing a product that's nothing like the promotional video, or worse yet, like the Courier, never sees the light of day because it never even existed.

So I guess you're suggesting that RIM is a really, really stupid company. Evidence for this to be provided, of course.
  • Reply 154 of 411
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grking View Post

I am sorry, but I do not see how your post is in any way related to mine, unless you are attempting to dismiss CNBC as a news source.

No... Just as a reliable, objective news source.

Then taking the occasion to make a joke about dual CEOs.

Why don't they just make every employee a co-CEO?

• Reply 155 of 411
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Well right, it is advertising.

Some people assumed that the Courier was a real product because Microsoft leaked the concept. That was always a silly thing to assume. OTOH, RIM has used this video as their product announcement. If was totally faked, as you suggest it could be "for all we know," you might stop for a moment and consider the consequences for RIM of releasing a product that's nothing like the promotional video, or worse yet, like the Courier, never sees the light of day because it never even existed.

So I guess you're suggesting that RIM is a really, really stupid company. Evidence for this to be provided, of course.

I see the RIM Tab announcement as a "concept" announcement! There were a few solid "specs" but they left themselves a lot of wiggle room on almost everything -- price,, apps, SDK, availabiłity, battery, OS specifics, UI... Unimportant details like that.

Hey, if RIM can get away with it, and cause people to defer their tablet decision, then more power to them!

• Reply 156 of 411
    nealgnealg Posts: 132member
    You would think if this was a consumer device that they would have tried to get it out for the holiday shopping season so I am thinking it is more business device, especially since it is wifi only and needs to be tied to a blackberry if there is no wifi around.

What they showed of the os looked nice but it is hard to get any feel for what it can really do. I will have to see about that.

No idea on the cost of this thing but if it is more of a business device, it may not be as price sensitive as a consumer device.

I like the size of my iPad and not sure about the smaller size of this device, especially since there does not seem to be an actual keyboard. I am also not sure how blackberry fans will adjust to a virtual keyboard, especially on a smaller sized device.

I think one of the things this tablet has going for it, is that it is not an iPad. There are those out there that hate Apple enough to buy anything and talk up it's praises as long as Apple doesn't make it. With all the different needs and wants and biases of people and companies in the market, there will be room for a couple of winners in this category of device.

This is just what I am thinking about this thing right now, with the small amount of info I have on it right now. It will be interesting to see how much it will cost battery life how good the screen looks and howvresponsive it is to touch before I could pass final judgement on it.
  • Reply 157 of 411
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Care to elaborate?

Selling the sizzle instead of the steak. Apple's ads don't dwell on specifications, or even the functions of their products. If the ads work at all, it's because they make you excited about the concept they are selling. I've got nothing against it; this is just how advertising works. This is what RIM is doing with this ad. Very light on the specifics and long on eye-catching generalities. A lot like an Apple ad, is what I thought when I saw it. That BTW is not a criticism. Apple is the master of this approach.
  • Reply 158 of 411
    How are the specs impressive?

They are the standard specs from, what, early this year maybe.

I don't think the interface looks all that handy. It has the same penchant as iOS for a task switcher on top of a task switcher, except the playbook wastes masses of space doing it. It is also really mechanical in the way it moves between items, no acceleration or other things which will make it slow to use.

It's also a full 10mm thick, it's a freakin slab. It has to be 7" or it would snap you at the wrist.

Okay maybe it wouldn't quite snap you at the wrist, just severely fracture.
  • Reply 159 of 411
    Quote:

I see the RIM Tab announcement as a "concept" announcement! There were a few solid "specs" but they left themselves a lot of wiggle room on almost everything -- price,, apps, SDK, availabiłity, battery, OS specifics, UI... Unimportant details like that.

I don't think it's just a concept. They did release specifications too, which IIRC, Apple did not when the iPad was introduced in January, long before anyone could actually get their mitts on one.

Again, unless someone is prepared to argue that RIM is a really stupid company (with evidence for same) then I think it's ridiculous to suggest that this is their Courier.
  • Reply 160 of 411
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cy_starkman View Post

How are the specs impressive?

They are the standard specs from, what, early this year maybe.

I don't think the interface looks all that handy. It has the same penchant as iOS for a task switcher on top of a task switcher, except the playbook wastes masses of space doing it. It is also really mechanical in the way it moves between items, no acceleration or other things which will make it slow to use.

It's also a full 10mm thick, it's a freakin slab. It has to be 7" or it would snap you at the wrist.

Okay maybe it wouldn't quite snap you at the wrist, just severely fracture.

Dual core A9 and 1 GB RAM caught my eye -- though it seems overkill for a smaller screen.