Sharbat Gula

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
This is the Afghan Woman that was made famous with her "Electric" eys on the cover of Nat Geographic.

<a href="http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?g=photos_highlight_fp&a=&tmpl=sl&ns=&l=1&e=1&; a=0" target="_blank">http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?g=photos_highlight_fp&a=&tmpl=sl&ns=&l=1&e=1&; a=0</a>

Check out the current pics. Looks like she's suffered tremendous hardships...the eyes are the window to the soul.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    I think she was already and orphan when they took that pic. I'm sure afghanistan is not a fun place to be an orphan.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    The eyes truly are the windows to the skull. I remain, as ever, impressed by the human capacity to equate beauty with importance, depth, and even, dangerously so, goodness.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    thats amazing that they found her! Indeed that photo of her so young and with those incredible green eyes.. incredible impression.

I also remember seeing that in Iran. Once while visiting Persepolis when I was a kid I saw all these veiled school girls on a school trip and as they would look at us tourists out of curiosity, there would be a pair of emerald or aquamarine eyes that would catch you from 100 meters away every now and then. All in black veils (shadors) and wham... green eyes all of a sudden.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    [quote]Originally posted by Matsu:

<strong>The eyes truly are the windows to the skull. I remain, as ever, impressed by the human capacity to equate beauty with importance, depth, and even, dangerously so, goodness.</strong><hr></blockquote>

No Matsu...that's incorrect. Whether the eyes be beautiful or treacherous..they still tell a story about that person. I don't think beauty really enters into the equation much honestly. However I will support your sentiments that beauty is on overused measuring stick....it's a shame that we Humans can be so fickle.