RIM unveils 7-inch 'PlayBook' tablet set to launch in early 2011

Comments

• Reply 161 of 411
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cy_starkman View Post

How are the specs impressive?

They are the standard specs from, what, early this year maybe.

I don't think the interface looks all that handy. It has the same penchant as iOS for a task switcher on top of a task switcher, except the playbook wastes masses of space doing it. It is also really mechanical in the way it moves between items, no acceleration or other things which will make it slow to use.

It's also a full 10mm thick, it's a freakin slab. It has to be 7" or it would snap you at the wrist.

Okay maybe it wouldn't quite snap you at the wrist, just severely fracture.

I am wondering if you actually read the press release.

Dual core processor - iPad is a single core

10 mm thick - iPad is 13.4 mm thick

.9 lbs - iPad is 1.5 lbs

So, it is smaller, thinner and lighter than the iPad - and how exactly is it a "freakin slab".

The specs also exceed the current iPad (in terms of processor, memory, and cameras). So if these are specs from early this year, then what are the iPads.
  • Reply 162 of 411
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

This is the classic, "Shit, our customers are all going to already have bought competitors products by the time we can bring something to market. Maybe if we announce a product we can stall some of them till we actually have something." In other words, a move of desperation.

This is absolutely true. Corporations are buying into the iPad big time already and RIM has to try some FUD at this point or lose big time. Buying the iPad will lead to more corporations to buying the iPhone and dropping the BlackBerry eventually.

It's a smart thing for RIM to do although I don't think it will work against Apple's iPad/iPhone combination.

I think a Gig of RAM is over kill and will lead to more power consumption. A QNX derived OS may be good but if the UI and API is not well designed and well integrated with the OS they can forget it.

Time will tell.
  • Reply 163 of 411
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Selling the sizzle instead of the steak. Apple's ads don't dwell on specifications, or even the functions of their products. If the ads work at all, it's because they make you excited about the concept they are selling. I've got nothing against it; this is just how advertising works. This is what RIM is doing with this ad. Very light on the specifics and long on eye-catching generalities. A lot like an Apple ad, is what I thought when I saw it. That BTW is not a criticism. Apple is the master of this approach.

It seems to me as best I can recall that Apple and usually SJ in person, always demos an actual product regardless of the level of specifications you may feel are lacking. I don't remember a new hardware product being merely shows as a video concept since Steve returned. It isn't sizzle at all to me when he hold a product in his hands and actually uses it live, mishaps and all. It is steak I can always taste. Shipping dates may be some time later in some cases but often they are pretty swift. I also seem to recall SJ usually details the tech specs pretty well, usually telling us what we will see, showing us and then telling us again what he told us already.
  • Reply 164 of 411
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Dual core A9 and 1 GB RAM caught my eye -- though it seems overkill for a smaller screen.

It better have a big ass battery.
  • Reply 165 of 411
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Selling the sizzle instead of the steak. Apple's ads don't dwell on specifications, or even the functions of their products. If the ads work at all, it's because they make you excited about the concept they are selling. I've got nothing against it; this is just how advertising works. This is what RIM is doing with this ad. Very light on the specifics and long on eye-catching generalities. A lot like an Apple ad, is what I thought when I saw it. That BTW is not a criticism. Apple is the master of this approach.

Lets compare like devices. The iPad, Kindle and PlayBook.

— iPad: Ads show the device in use and what the output is of various functions.
    — Kindle: Ads show the device in use in a real world setting, an emphasis of how it bests current LCD display tech in the chosen setting and even lists the price point.
    — PlayBook: The ad is 5x as long as the others yet you don’t get any feel for actual usage of the device and they don’t even show the HW until the end of the video with a brief display of app windows (or something) scrolling.

Does this ability to project onto all these different items for the first 2 minutes come with the PlayBook?

How did they manipulate the windows at the end when i saw no hand touching it?

BTW, they are not light on specifics. They gave a details of the specs for some reason, but left out the price. Kindle lists the price in the commercial while Apple listed the price and configuration at the end of the very first introduction and handheld demo of the iPad.

This is RiM and I consider them a good company that will absolutely follow through with this product, but it seems clear they are unsure what the price will be. This could be due to an unsure manufacturing strategy at this point or wanting to wait to see what other tablets (CES 2011?) are coming out at, including the iPad 2.

This is vapourware at this point, just like Courier was. They can list all the specs you want but they can change, and they probably list that in small text on their site somewhere. They showed no demo of the device in actual use, just professional animations to give the effect of it running smoothly… but nothing in a real world setting on in the hands of actual users.. Did you watch Jobs using the iPad and think that is didn’t function exactly as fast as it was shown? I didn’t.

My point is made better by this comparison to the Nokia N97 promo video, not unlike what we have in the PlayBook video except the N97 promo video actually focuses on the device itself, even if it all done by skilled animators. Note, the limitations of the N97 aren’t just the speed of transitions but how they are done. We’ll see when this comes out how accurate this video was to the real OS and UI on the real HW.
  • Reply 166 of 411
    Quote:

I don't think it's just a concept. They did release specifications too, which IIRC, Apple did not when the iPad was introduced in January, long before anyone could actually get their mitts on one.

Again, unless someone is prepared to argue that RIM is a really stupid company (with evidence for same) then I think it's ridiculous to suggest that this is their Courier.

Why didn't they actually go on stage and demo it to an assembled group from the tech press? Just curious. My guess is they are a ways off and this is a PR stunt to bolster their position for investors.
  • Reply 167 of 411
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

And a great OS that can use power very efficiently.

I?m wondering if they needed that for some of the things they wanted to do with that OS because it?s just too inefficient, and if we?ll see some HW changes before this thing is released.

I hope RiM growing pains are left behind them on the Storm smartphones, but this promo ad doesn?t give me much hope.
  • Reply 168 of 411
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

It seems to me as best I can recall that Apple and usually SJ in person, always demos an actual product regardless of the level of specifications you may feel are lacking. I don't remember a new hardware product being merely shows as a video concept since Steve returned. It isn't sizzle at all to me when he hold a product in his hands and actually uses it live, mishaps and all. It is steak I can always taste. Shipping dates may be some time later in some cases but often they are pretty swift. I also seem to recall SJ usually details the tech specs pretty well, usually telling us what we will see, showing us and then telling us again what he told us already.

The SJ demos aren't without their ooops moments -- app crashes, reboots... Asking everyone to turn off their cells/WiFi so he could get a connection to continue the demo.

But, hey, that's the stuff we mortals understand.

• Reply 169 of 411
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Seriousely you are gonna call a professional tablet a PLAY book. I mean I get what you are driving at, but I would have chosen planbook, workpad, even slateberry. As always with products like these, they have nice renderings, but we'll see how it will perform once it ships.
  • Reply 170 of 411
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I?m wondering if they needed that for some of the things they wanted to do with that OS because it?s just too inefficient, and if we?ll see some HW changes before this thing is released.

I hope RiM growing pains are left behind them on the Storm smartphones, but this promo ad doesn?t give me much hope.

There is a certain irony that phone makers were quick to point out Apple was entering their realm and that Apple knew nothing about phones. I am not saying RIM knows nothing about computers but then again they don't have Apple's experience and know how either. The mobile devices running iOS are far more than phones and I wonder if RIM maybe in for a rough ride taking on iOS and Android based on their success with BBs.
  • Reply 171 of 411
    Quote:

Well the hardware specs on paper look good but I have no clue how the OS and UI are going to look and function which of course is going to be major.

By the way off topic only because we talked about this before and I know you also keep up with other products but I just got an Evo update that removed the 30fps cap.

Flash 10.1 is working really great now except of course its a battery killer. I really like the phone and Android 2.2 but the battery is going to drive me insane.
  • Reply 172 of 411
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macjbraun View Post

Can someone explain how they can get 1080 HD from this display? Am I missing something?

OUTPUT 1080P from the HDMI connector to an external display
  • Reply 173 of 411
    Quote:

The SJ demos aren't without their ooops moments -- app crashes, reboots... Asking everyone to turn off their cells/WiFi so he could get a connection to continue the demo.

But, hey, that's the stuff we mortals understand.

True, and that's all the more reason I say I can taste the steak lol not just hear the sizzle as Mr Dillmoss characterized SJs demos. Give me a demo of a real product with warts and all over a flashy concept video and I suspect share holders will feel the same way about RIM this time. It's not that far back to the MS tablet video.
  • Reply 174 of 411
    Quote:

AIR, one of the major reasons for Apple's custom silicon A4 was power management -- then take advantage of this in custom OS software/firmware...

So far, nobody has been able to match Apple's power management.

• Reply 175 of 411
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

What I thought of when I saw playbook wasn't some book to play with, but rather a useful tool much like that of a playbook a football coach would use. Playbook can be equated to what the plan for the business day would be, or what the plan to achieve certain goals is. Know what I mean?

Do we really want to go down this road after the whole Ipad name controversy?
  • Reply 176 of 411
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

This is vapourware at this point, just like Courier was. They can list all the specs you want but they can change, and they probably list that in small text on their site somewhere. They showed no demo of the device in actual use, just professional animations to give the effect of it running smoothly? but nothing in a real world setting on in the hands of actual users.. Did you watch Jobs using the iPad and think that is didn?t function exactly as fast as it was shown? I didn?t.

I believe this is RIM with all guns blazing, fighting for future sales from their existing client base. They don't have anything to show, they're under pressure and they MUST deliver the goods (at least according to the media). I think we are all slightly suspicious here because they are promising a lot for a tablet in terms of specs and capability. I suspect the thing will be pretty heavy and with many 'problems' based not upon technical know-how but upon the belief that they cannot possibly manage to bring such a powerful, capable product to market with an all new OS in such a short time. But regardless of what the product may be and how well it will perform - RIM is shouting loud and waving promises in order to make their existing clients 'jump ship'. There may be a lot of companies thinking they have so much invested in RIM, and that this looks like a very capable product so they'll wait. They are waving impressive specs and they are aiming the device squarely at business users. I think it is what they MUST do at this point but who know what will happen if they fail.
  • Reply 177 of 411
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by agolongo View Post

Do we really want to go down this road after the whole Ipad name controversy?

But I am not sure there was a controversy. A few people with certain fixations and a complaint that grew old very very quickly.
  • Reply 178 of 411
    Quote:

Well the hardware specs on paper look good but I have no clue how the OS and UI are going to look and function which of course is going to be major.

By the way off topic only because we talked about this before and I know you also keep up with other products but I just got an Evo update that removed the 30fps cap.

Flash 10.1 is working really great now except of course its a battery killer. I really like the phone and Android 2.2 but the battery is going to drive me insane.

How does Flash handle mouseovers -- a modal hover mode?

It's ironic, but Apple with its integrated CPU and OS, could, likely, do an acceptable job of solving the Flash battery drain...

'Course that means that Adobe and Apple would need to develop a "joint" implementation.

• Reply 179 of 411
    Quote:

It seems to me as best I can recall that Apple and usually SJ in person, always demos an actual product regardless of the level of specifications you may feel are lacking. I don't remember a new hardware product being merely shows as a video concept since Steve returned.

The closest I can recall is the AppleTV, then called iTV. They actually intoruced a new product by a code name they knew wouldn?t be used for the shipping product!!!

Jobs showed slode of the HW with all the various ports, and one in hand and a working one to use with the IR remote to show you how it will function. The sound it makes when you press the remote to the time it takes for the menu to change actually seems a little slower than the working product that shipped. But it was about 6 months so I?m sure they refined some things before then.

This was still a working demo of a working product, still 6 months away from shipping (and is was still delayed by a month). If that is Apple, then I don?t have high hopes for any of these vapourware promo videos.
    To me, this atypical demo screams that Apple was focusing on convincing the content owners of giving Apple rights before the AppleTV launched, not focusing on the consumer. Not that they re-introduced it before introducing the iPhone.

Quote:

Rehearsed or not, it?s a real test. Though I have to say that Jobs fumbling with the iPad seemed completely unrehearsed, like he was given a tour for the first time 10 minutes before and then sent out on stage to show it off.

Quote:

There is a certain irony that phone makers were quick to point out Apple was entering their realm and that Apple knew nothing about phones. I am not saying RIM knows nothing about computers but then again they don't have Apple's experience and know how either. The mobile devices running iOS are far more than phones and I wonder if RIM maybe in for a rough ride taking on iOS and Android based on their success with BBs.

Everyone was in for a rough ride and still is. No one else has or had the expertise of HW, SW, UI and ecosystem for devices ranging from the iPod Shuffle to the Mac Pro. We talked about how great we thought Apple could make a phone if they wanted to, and how efficient and module Mac OS X was that they would eventually be able to run that is handheld devices. They?ve done that and they are expanding it. I don?t see anyone besting Apple in the profits game (the one that matters to companies) for the foreseeable future, but I hope some, RiM, can carve out a healthy niche for themselves.
  • Reply 180 of 411
    Quote:

Yeah - that's why I sense a lot of scepticism here. The other thing is the eco system. Even if it can grow and become relevant and significant RIM face a big task laying the foundations for this to blossom.