Heatwave!

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014

It's actually not so bad, even with no air-con (as-is the case with most places of residence in SF). Popsicles are your friend.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

It's actually not so bad, even with no air-con (as-is the case with most places of residence in SF). Popsicles are your friend.

High 29º, low of 17º. Brrrr. Sounds just like summer in San Francisco..

Ok... ºC. But since when did the US start going Euro?
  • Reply 2 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sammi jo View Post

Ok... ºC. But since when did the US start going Euro?

i think you mean the metric system, a far superior system than imperial. anyways, from what i recall, San Francisco is usually warm in late September and October.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emacs72 View Post

i think you mean the metric system, a far superior system than imperial. anyways, from what i recall, San Francisco is usually warm in late September and October.

Yes, but it is unusually unusually warm.

As for centigrade vs. fahrenheit, it is not very hard to get used to C in a world where cell phones readily access the weather. I recommend making the switch -- all the cool people use metric. The story of Louis XVI making the decree to measure the distance of a meter (based on global coordinates) at the last minute before revolutionaries stormed the palace is much more interesting party conversation than any story about the width of some random English king's thumb or foot.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Quote:

As for centigrade vs. fahrenheit, it is not very hard to get used to C in a world where cell phones readily access the weather. I recommend making the switch -- all the cool people use metric.

For some reason, my partner tried to get me used to using military time since he uses it all the time. He change the time on the microwave to military time thinking it would help me. But now when I see 19:21 on the microwave I think, what's he timing? Then I remember and just look up at the other clock on the wall to see what time it is.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emacs72 View Post

It's the superior mind that knows that the scale used is irrelevant.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

It depends on your field and your mindset. It's certainly not irrelevant to the scientist or to someone who travels a lot.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    emacs72emacs72 Posts: 356member
    Quote:

the irony in your post is so telling.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    floorjackfloorjack Posts: 2,726member
    If you guys knew your stuff you'd be advocating for kelvin. That's what we use where I work but not because of the scale but rather that nasty divide by zero problem that exists in the inferior metric system.

Scale still irrelevant. Are you guys so lame you can't convert a number or rescale to a unit less systems. Pussies!
  • Reply 9 of 14
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

If you guys knew your stuff you'd be advocating for kelvin. That's what we use where I work but not because of the scale but rather that nasty divide by zero problem that exists in the inferior metric system.

Scale still irrelevant. Are you guys so lame you can't convert a number or rescale to a unit less systems. Pussies!

Kelvin is the same unit as Centigrade, just shifted. Around 2003 I started using Centigrade because I wanted to get my mind in the same units that I work with. I would argue that, overall, most Americans are already more comfortable using mL/L than the completely asinine English system of volumes. There might be something to it, you know ... All of those French cookbooks written with the metric system.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

For some reason, my partner tried to get me used to using military time since he uses it all the time. He change the time on the microwave to military time thinking it would help me. But now when I see 19:21 on the microwave I think, what's he timing? Then I remember and just look up at the other clock on the wall to see what time it is.

Funny... I also use twenty-four hour time, although set to Pacific, not Zulu (that would be military time). Tonton figured it out: I am an R&D engineer who travels a lot. 24-hour time prevents me from mangling my iCal appointments. My watch still is only 12 hour, due to mechanical limitations. I want one that has 24 hour! It is brutally annoying when the day ticker gets out of sync because you've been fiddling with it on the airplane, and you've inadvertently put in on the wrong half of the gear.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Quote:

San Francisco is one of the most beautiful cities in the world and the weather is perfect to go along with this observation I am making. Try a heatwave live in the Philippines where I reside and than you will welcome the bay area weather.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:

PFFFT I'm near the equator too, 24degC is the minimum, at night when it's raining. Most days it's 30degC-35degC outside, all year 'round...

SF Bay Area has some nice weather, except for really cold winter early mornings... London, rubbish.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:

Funny... I also use twenty-four hour time, although set to Pacific, not Zulu (that would be military time). Tonton figured it out: I am an R&D engineer who travels a lot. 24-hour time prevents me from mangling my iCal appointments. My watch still is only 12 hour, due to mechanical limitations. I want one that has 24 hour! It is brutally annoying when the day ticker gets out of sync because you've been fiddling with it on the airplane, and you've inadvertently put in on the wrong half of the gear.

Er... Get a digital watch?
  • Reply 13 of 14
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gerald apple View Post

San Francisco is one of the most beautiful cities in the world and the weather is perfect.

Debatable, but see below

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

SF Bay Area has some nice weather, except for really cold winter early mornings... London, rubbish.

Bay Area, yes. SF, not as much. Nonetheless, you may notice the first post I had where I acknowledged the heatwave but also acknowledged that "it's not so bad." I lived in South Florida for three years. That was heat: 40 degrees in the shade, 90% humidity.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    emacs72emacs72 Posts: 356member
    Quote:

Scale still irrelevant ...

again, irony at its finest. well done!

anyways, i'm sure people in San Francisco welcome the warmth, to a certain degree of course, during these past few weeks.