Goldman Sachs says Apple planning thinner iPad with camera, mini usb

Comments

• Reply 21 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 801 View Post

Everybody is always going on about needing a USB connector on the Ipad.

Now a 30 pin connector has an output of 3.3 volts and a USB 2 connector has an output of 5 volts. So I have always wondered if the lack of USB has more to do with the power output specification against battery life then anything else. I mean, what does that screen and cpu pull? anyone know?

the A4 hardly uses any. it's all the screen. Jobs mentioned this after the iPad announcement.
  • Reply 22 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by balsy2001 View Post

I hope memory cards aren't the future. I hate them and I am glad I don't have to deal with them for my iPhone (2G version). I rarely use the whole 16GB on my iPhone so I don't feel like it would add anything to have card capacity.

I never change the one in my camera (even though I have 2). I wish it just had a couple GB internal.

I realize that I may be in the minority on this one.

You are not alone. Instead of adding memory card slots to devices, we should just add wifi/bluetooth to cameras. several already have this feature, plus there are memory cards with wifi built in.

wireless transfer, that's the future... (and present)
  • Reply 23 of 78
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I know people keep saying it is, but liquid metal is not actually lighter than other metals. It's still metal, it's just cooled differently.

It has a higher strength to weight ratio, so products can be made thinner and still be as strong, but it isn't actually lighter than other metals by any appreciable amount.

Yep, it's SG is greater than Aluminum. Never the less it seems pretty amazing and product bodies would be far easier to make, cheaper and stronger than the current uni body. I also suspect it or other products in the pipe line will have some interesting and novel uses for Apple.
  • Reply 24 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by balsy2001 View Post

You speak the truth on the bailout.

My problem with Goldman is how they were selling customers one set of securities and then betting that those same securities would go down in value with house money. See the link below.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...evin-says.html

Yes, I know. But the problem is, much as it might have been distasteful, what they did was not illegal. (They settled, but only to avoid the negative (and continuing) publicity about the charges.)

It's like smoking: If we really feel it's such a problem, then we should have the policy courage to make it illegal. (For the record, I don't smoke; but I respect the right that people have to do things that are legal).

Similarly, if we think Goldman's double-dealing is a problem, then we should make it illegal.
  • Reply 25 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Yep, it's SG is greater than Aluminum. Never the less it seems pretty amazing and product bodies would be far easier to make, cheaper and stronger than the current uni body. I also suspect it or other products in the pipe line will have some interesting and novel uses for Apple.

Yes, it sounds really promising. I wonder if it's a bit too soon to expect it to be used on major product lines though. We shall see.
  • Reply 26 of 78
    I guess this GS analysis is just clear proof that one should not pay for financial advice these days. You can get more accurate analysis for free from "expert amateurs" and enthusiasts on the web.
  • Reply 27 of 78
    You guys are retarded.

The mini USB is real. It's part of an EU requirement for standardization of charging portable devices. This will show up on everything you own.

I'm ambivalent. On the one hand, it's nice to have some standardization here. Really, industry should have done it a long effing time ago. I say this as a product design engineer.

On the other hand, the dock connector works really well, and of course, you have legacy ecosystem inertia. However, legacy is never a good reason by itself to continue doing something.

Edit: oh, also.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 801 View Post

Everybody is always going on about needing a USB connector on the Ipad.

Now a 30 pin connector has an output of 3.3 volts and a USB 2 connector has an output of 5 volts. So I have always wondered if the lack of USB has more to do with the power output specification against battery life then anything else. I mean, what does that screen and cpu pull? anyone know?

This has nothing to do with anything. Buck and boost are cheap, efficient if your window is small, well understood, and readily available.

P=IV.
  • Reply 28 of 78
    The mini-USB maybe in response to the upcoming regulation standard in Europe that calls for a universal plug on mobile devices. It's supposed to be in effect starting next year..
  • Reply 29 of 78
    camera and lighter design is obvious, anyone can guess that. USB port is retarded, there's no way apple is gonna go for that, they developed 30pin just so every iDevice can integrate.
  • Reply 30 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oxygenhose View Post

Idiotic. This is pure BS.

Why would Apple put a mini-USB on a small iPad, when they put a full iPod dock connector on a iPod nano? Answer: they wouldn't, Goldman Sachs just wants to pretend to be savvy to their clients. No wonder they needed bailout money from the Fed. R-tards.

Apple will put a mini-USB for CHARGING purposes because the EU rules that in future devices (at least in future phones) you HAVE to have the mini-USB for charging, so you can use ONE charger for all your devices, instead of having to carry a half dozen when travelling. This might even allow them to ship the charger as an option. (Extra ??? but faster charging....)

Of course they will still keep the dock connector.
  • Reply 31 of 78
    Quote:

I know people keep saying it is, but liquid metal is not actually lighter than other metals. It's still metal, it's just cooled differently.

It has a higher strength to weight ratio, so products can be made thinner and still be as strong, but it isn't actually lighter than other metals by any appreciable amount.

A higher strength-to-weight ratio means it's lighter for the same strength, so products can be made *lighter* and still be as strong. Hence "lighter".
  • Reply 32 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Yes, I know. But the problem is, much as it might have been distasteful, what they did was not illegal. (They settled, but only to avoid the negative (and continuing) publicity about the charges.)

It's like smoking: If we really feel it's such a problem, then we should have the policy courage to make it illegal. (For the record, I don't smoke; but I respect the right that people have to do things that are legal).

Similarly, if we think Goldman's double-dealing is a problem, then we should make it illegal.

Let's not forget the politicians sucking up to people by way of making it so people who couldn't afford a home were able to get one!...

http://www.hud.gov/offices/adm/hudclips/acts/naha.cfm
  • Reply 33 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I guess this GS analysis is just clear proof that one should not pay for financial advice these days. You can get more accurate analysis for free from "expert amateurs" and enthusiasts on the web.

Yeah good luck with that, lol
  • Reply 34 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A team of analysts for investment bank Goldman Sachs said Monday that their sources lead them to believe Apple will introduce a second-generation iPad during the spring of 2011 that will feature a camera, mini USB and a lighter design ...

if this is true, i may get an iPad next year.
  • Reply 35 of 78
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by samwight View Post

A higher strength-to-weight ratio means it's lighter for the same strength, so products can be made *lighter* and still be as strong. Hence "lighter".

This is almost right. Although, the (likely) design goal is not necessarily that products are made thinner -- we need to be a little more specific. At some point, it just doesn't make sense to make an iPhone "smaller." So, let's make the most of what space we do have. The real win is that you can keep driving wall thickness down for your metal parts. This increases the device's enclosed volume for the same lump of phone in your hand.

The silicon keeps getting smaller and smaller, until you basically have screen, battery, and connectors.

iPhone 4 doesn't get enough credit for just how well-engineered it is. It's disappointing that the antenna thing got so much...coverage. WHEEEEOOOOO :sunglasses:
  • Reply 36 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by applol View Post

iPhone 4 doesn't get enough credit for just how well-engineered it is.

Ahhh hahahahahaha. Good one!
  • Reply 37 of 78
    Lighter is definitely a good thing if it doesn't compromise battery life, but there is an optimum thickness for something intended to be held by its edge. Too thin and it seems heavier than it really is because you're having to use finger tips to hold it. I think that could be the source of some of the "it's too heavy" comments regarding the iPad.

I will not buy an iPad because it's too big to be truly portable. If I can't just shove it in a jacket pocket, if I'm forced to carry a bag or stick it under my arm I'm not going to take it with me all the time thereby defeating the whole point of being portable.

I think many buyers of the new 7" Samsung and RIM devices are going to find the same thing is true, that the devices are just a little too big to be true go everywhere devices. Apple will learn from their mistakes and come out with an intermediate sized device that actually fits in the pocket of most coats.
  • Reply 38 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

Ahhh hahahahahaha. Good one!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by applol View Post

You guys are retarded.

kekeke
  • Reply 39 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

Lighter is definitely a good thing if it doesn't compromise battery life, but there is an optimum thickness for something intended to be held by its edge. Too thin and it seems heavier than it really is because you're having to use finger tips to hold it. I think that could be the source of some of the "it's too heavy" comments regarding the iPad.

I will not buy an iPad because it's too big to be truly portable. If I can't just shove it in a jacket pocket, if I'm forced to carry a bag or stick it under my arm I'm not going to take it with me all the time thereby defeating the whole point of being portable.

I think many buyers of the new 7" Samsung and RIM devices are going to find the same thing is true, that the devices are just a little too big to be true go everywhere devices. Apple will learn from their mistakes and come out with an intermediate sized device that actually fits in the pocket of most coats.

They already have one out. It's called an iPod Touch. Fits most pockets.. I'm not really understanding you. 9.7 okay I understand but 7 is too big also? What is it then? What's the perfect "portable" size for you? I've held the Streak and that thing sticks out of my pants pocket and I can't sit with that thing in my pocket without the risk of breaking it in half. And no I don't have tight pants, I haven't worn one since the 80s touring with Bon Jovi. Just regular pants and it sticks out. If I wear a pants with deep enough pocket, people are looking at me like I'm Ron Jeremy or Tommy Lee below the waist area. Sluts and gay guys look at it more and seem to like it.. I don't know.
  • Reply 40 of 78
    Webcam is a no brainer. Doubt a USB would be needed, but I do see the need for a SDcard reader. perfect travel companion can now back up your images when you run out of space on your camera, or quickly show pictures you've taken on a bigger screen than the camera.

The only 2 features I personally would like to see to even consider buying a tablet.