iOS 4.1 version of Apple TV firmware posted, jailbroken

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Hackers have succeeding in running a jailbreak exploit for a newly posted Apple TV iOS 4.1 firmware file.

iPhone developer chpwn first noticed the firmware update and posted a link to it on Twitter. "AppleTV2,1_4.1_8M89_Restore.ipsw," a 242 MB download, is available from Apple's download site.

The iPhone Dev-Team subsequently announced that it had already successfully used SHAtter, an in-development iOS 4.1 exploit, to jailbreak the new Apple TV firmware, Maggadget reports .

"Even though the new AppleTV isn?t yet in people?s homes, the firmware is available on Apple?s normal public distribution servers and SHAtter has been used to decrypt its keys," wrote the iPhone Dev Team on their blog.

Apple began shipping the set-top box on Monday, in time for a September delivery date as promised.

Rumors leading up to the Apple TV's Sept. 1 announcement had suggested that a drastically redesigned Apple TV would run iOS and have access to the App Store. However, when the $99 streaming Apple TV was first revealed, it was unclear whether the device was running iOS.

References to a mysterious iProd device in the USB configuration list for iOS turned out to be for the Apple TV, suggesting that the device would use a modified version of iOS.

Although the new Apple TV isn't setup to run third party apps, a special Apple TV App Store may still be in the works. On Sept. 1, Apple CEO Steve Jobs told Bloomberg BusinessWeek that "when the time is right, Apple could open an App Store for the TV that could do for television sets what all those apps have done for the iPhone."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 76
    Why on earth does AI put so much effort on reporting on these hacks? If I want that information I could go to the hacker paradise. I prefer to stay outside that world.
  • Reply 2 of 76
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ereinion View Post

Why on earth does AI put so much effort on reporting on these hacks? If I want that information I could go to the hacker paradise. I prefer to stay outside that world.

Probably because hacks will be the only way to get apps into the Apple TV. If Apple hadn't been so conservative, they'd of done Apple TV properly and such hacks wouldn't be needed.

Google TV is going to eat Apple TV for breakfast.
  • Reply 3 of 76
    Quote:

Why on earth does AI put som much effort on reporting on these hacks? If I want that information I could go to the hacker paradise. I prefer to stay outside that world.

Because its awesome.

But seriously, hacking the apple tv to run unauthorized apps could have some very interesting results.

Not just games, but things like hulu, vlc, p2p, being able to sync to virtual storage, adding a camera feed with a linked iPhone, even adding flash (just kidding), screen sharing, hacking it to work with a wii remote, the list is endless....
  • Reply 4 of 76
    Quote:

Just ignore the thread and go back to your cave.
  • Reply 5 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IOSWeekly View Post

Because its awesome.

But seriously, hacking the apple tv to run unauthorized apps could have some very interesting results.

Not just games, but things like hulu, vlc, p2p, being able to sync to virtual storage, adding a camera feed with a linked iPhone, even adding flash (just kidding), screen sharing, hacking it to work with a wii remote, the list is endless....

But Airplay will do this for you without the need for a hack. Run the app on your iphone/ipod, and airplay stream it. Done.
  • Reply 6 of 76
    Good news. I expect Hulu Plus and Atomic Web Browser to show up on the new AppleTV real soon. Expect weather apps, VLC player, Air Video, and Flash to follow.

• Reply 7 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Google TV is going to eat Apple TV for breakfast.

Things are going to get interesting, that's for sure. Especially if Apple opens the floodgate(app store) - and I expect Apple will.
  • Reply 8 of 76
    Waiting for someone to successfully allow the new OS to be on the old ATV (if at all possible). So I can have the benefits of both. HDD with some storage and all the new stuff of the iOS (Airplay, rentals etc).

Now THAT would be great :-)
  • Reply 9 of 76
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stuffe View Post

But Airplay will do this for you without the need for a hack. Run the app on your iphone/ipod, and airplay stream it. Done.

Because some people don't own an iPad, or iPhone, it is a bit stupid to have to spend $1000 to get a $99 device to work properly
  • Reply 10 of 76
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IOSWeekly View Post

Because its awesome.

I see - and how are these apps going to be controlled exactly - with an apple remote?!

lmao.

Pointless jailbreak.

Apple will introduce apps when they've worked out how to best control them.
  • Reply 11 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pinolo View Post

Waiting for someone to successfully allow the new OS to be on the old ATV (if at all possible). So I can have the benefits of both. HDD with some storage and all the new stuff of the iOS (Airplay, rentals etc).

Now THAT would be great :-)

You don't need the HDD for storage, use your mac and stream, as the device is meant to...
  • Reply 12 of 76
    Will the new OS run on the older ATV?
  • Reply 13 of 76
    Is there any indication that the new apple Tv has some sort of RAM for app storage/ installation? Wouldn't this be a basic requirement? Just saying!!
  • Reply 14 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Because some people don't own an iPad, or iPhone, it is a bit stupid to have to spend $1000 to get a $99 device to work properly

Spend $1000 - on what?! An iPad is around $500

And the $99 device does "work properly", it streams media from your home network and the apple rental store, also netflix if yr in a netflix enabled territory. This is what it's advertised as being able to do, and if you bought it to do anything else on, you should just have bought a mac mini.
  • Reply 15 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bytor View Post

Is there any indication that the new apple Tv has some sort of RAM for app storage/ installation? Wouldn't this be a basic requirement? Just saying!!

You don't use RAM for storage, you use a hard drive for storage. I'm sure there's a small harddrive for the OS and buffering content. The whole point is that the device is for streaming content from elsewhere, it's "storage" is unlimited.
  • Reply 16 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

You don't need the HDD for storage, use your mac and stream, as the device is meant to...

Whoa! Think about what you just said. I absolutely hate having to take out my laptop just because my old apple tv can't hold all of my content. It's a five minute process that is literally a pain in the ass. Sounds stupid, but it gets old...seriously.

Now, with that said, someone makes iOS available for the old apple tv. I hate that I can't use my old apple tv as an airport express anymore. Especiallyy now that I can stream from my phone. Sucks that I have to keep my airport express AND my old apple tv in the bedroom just to have the functionality of apple tv and streaming music with the rest of the house. Dumb. I can understand not streaming video to old apple tv. That's fine. BUT, don't strip a feature that the previous generation could do before. (I know it can still do it from my computer but I want to do it from my idevices seeing that they can stream to my airport express).
  • Reply 17 of 76
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDunno View Post

Will the new OS run on the older ATV?

"Existing Apple TV owners are unable to take advantage of the new firmware due to fundamental differences in the hardware between the devices. " from MacRumors. I suspect the hacks can't address this issue, although I wish Apple would at least do some sort of update for us original owners.
  • Reply 18 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

"Existing Apple TV owners are unable to take advantage of the new firmware due to fundamental differences in the hardware between the devices. " from MacRumors. I suspect the hacks can't address this issue, although I wish Apple would at least do some sort of update for us original owners.

It is very, very easy to hack your AppleTv to add Boxee and XBMC. Just copy the installer to a USB stick, stick in the back of your AppleTV, restart and let it do its thing. Boxee is a great thing to have on your AppleTV, is updated regularly and works well. There's a free remote control app for your iPod touch/iPhone too. Give it a try - it will give your old AppleTv a new lease of life.
  • Reply 19 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

You don't use RAM for storage, you use a hard drive for storage. I'm sure there's a small harddrive for the OS and buffering content. The whole point is that the device is for streaming content from elsewhere, it's "storage" is unlimited.

No, Bytor's question was a good valid question. The AppleTV must have a certain amount of storage to store the operating system, plus storage to buffer a video that is being streamed. Surely it's got to be at least 1GB. We'll find out soon enough when we see the tear-down reports in a couple of days time!
  • Reply 20 of 76
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    I had no interest in jailbreaking my phone, but, I am intrigued by the possibilities with the new AppleTV.