Apple updates iOS Remote app to add iPad, Retina Display support

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple on Tuesday updated its iOS Remote application to version 2.0, adding support for the iPad, improved picture on the Retina Display found on the iPhone 4 and newest iPod touch, and functionality with the new Apple TV.

With Apple's new Remote application (iTunes link), users will be able to control their Apple TV, as well as iTunes, from anywhere in their home. It also allows users with an iOS device to send music to AirPlay-compatible speakers.

The new Remote application allows control of the new iOS-based Apple TV with simple finger gestures. Users can also enter text with the onscreen keyboard.

"Choose playlists, songs, and albums as if you were right in front of your computer or Apple TV," the official description reads. "From anywhere in your home change a song, pick a playlist or browse through your entire library.

"With a flick of your finger, you can even control every aspect of the Apple TV user interface. Use your device?s QWERTY keyboard to quickly tap out the title instead of clicking letters on the Apple TV screen. Then keep tapping to play, fast forward, rewind, and pause to your finger?s content."

The full list of new features in version 2.0, according to Apple, include:

Designed for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad

Optimized for Retina displays and large screen real estate on iPad

Support for Shared Libraries on iTunes and new Apple TV

Bug fixes and compatibility with iTunes 10 and the new Apple TV

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    My AppleTV shipped this morning - can't wait!
  • Reply 2 of 29
    The Airplay thing sounds like it could be huge, but the content has to be there. Since it must be difficult trying to work with the studios I can't blame Apple on this point .
  • Reply 3 of 29
    Oh nice, it uses home sharing to automatically find libraries. No need to pair it or anything.
  • Reply 4 of 29
    Wow, the iPad version of Remote is awesome...
  • Reply 6 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

For all the Apple TV guys:

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/art...-tv-2-for-now/

But he lost my faith in his objectivity some time ago during one of his more off-the-wall tirades, and has yet to earn it back. I think he believes himself to be a consumer white-knight, but since I'm a well-informed consumer his intention are only bothersome and intrusive. Once he regains some objectivity, he is welcome to try and rescue me from my rapant consumerism.
  • Reply 7 of 29
    cant wait to get my Apple TV. I basically am viewing it as an airport express that also streams video with audio. Plus I hope it gets hacked with something like Air Foil that will allow me to stream anything to my apple tv. Meaning I can just run everything on my iPad/iPhone and when I need it on a bigger screen I can just send the output to my AppleTv and use the iPad/iPhone as a remote with screen mirroring.
  • Reply 8 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

For all the Apple TV guys:

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/art...-tv-2-for-now/

Sums Apple TV up quite nicely. Apple calls it a "hobby" for now but it will be more interesting to see what Apple comes up with when they treat it more seriously.
  • Reply 9 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LewysBlackmore View Post

But he lost my faith in his objectivity some time ago during one of his more off-the-wall tirades, and has yet to earn it back. I think he believes himself to be a consumer white-knight, but since I'm a well-informed consumer his intention are only bothersome and intrusive. Once he regains some objectivity, he is welcome to try and rescue me from my rapant consumerism.

I could not care less about his opinions. Who looks to Jeremy for advice on which toys to spend their money on?

Should I value his insight over my own? Hell no!
  • Reply 10 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

The Airplay thing sounds like it could be huge, but the content has to be there. Since it must be difficult trying to work with the studios I can't blame Apple on this point .

but the content is there. You can use it with anything in your itunes library. plus there's the built in netflix which is growing in leaps and bounds
  • Reply 11 of 29
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hogan View Post

Sums Apple TV up quite nicely. Apple calls it a "hobby" for now but it will be more interesting to see what Apple comes up with when they treat it more seriously.

It states some unknowns as reasons not to buy. I'd say those unknowns are reasons to wait and see what 4.2 brings, which we should be hearing about very soon. I'm sure some developers testing 4.2 ordered an Apple TV. A teardown will also determine if there is available storage space for apps (either through jailbreak or a future app store). I think they would have been better off writing that article later this week.
  • Reply 12 of 29
    One thing for sure is that Remote 2.0 is vastly superior to version 1.0 which had been reported recently as kinda neglected and dying on the vine. The real reason was that Apple was working on a completely new app that has little in common with the old one outside of the fact that both control iTunes remotely. The iPad version finally gives me the flexibility I knew this product could really do.

I'm sure there will be a bug fix or two down the line but it'll be really interesting to see this mate up to the new Apple TV. Right now, my Airport Expresses feel they just got an upgrade.
  • Reply 13 of 29
    I guess I'm just an optimist but I thought with the new remote that the iPad/iPhone/iPod would become an AirPlay device. Did I miss something or is Apple still not streaming media from my desktop to my iP.* ?
  • Reply 14 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hessml View Post

I guess I'm just an optimist but I thought with the new remote that the iPad/iPhone/iPod would become an AirPlay device. Did I miss something or is Apple still not streaming media from my desktop to my iP.* ?

If that's going to happen (technically possible since Apple TV, another iOS device, will be doing that) then 10.6.5 and iOS 4.2 will be necessary. Both should arrive in the next several weeks.
  • Reply 15 of 29
    Quote:

But he lost my faith in his objectivity some time ago ..

And I didn't see much objective in his 5 reasons why it's not right for him article. I like where Apple is going with this product - bringing content to the living room without having to figure out how to connect your PC or learn about NAS or DLNA or codecs or, or, or.

If it all doesn't work to their plan, fine - I'll still be picking up shows from those cable channels I refuse to pay subscriptions to, stream lossless music from playlists and enjoy the occasional rental without having to find a redbox that has it in stock.

My belief is Apple and their iTunes library will continue to struggle with content owners just as cable & satellite providers do. Contents want a piece of the new w/o damaging the current distribution model too much.
  • Reply 16 of 29
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Does anyone know if BestBuy will stock new Apple TV/ I have a $100 gift voucher for there burning a hole in my pocket.
  • Reply 17 of 29
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    Quote:

I deleted my iLounge bookmark months ago for the reasons you noted. That site is just a megaphone for Apple accessory makers. Whatevs.
  • Reply 18 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

but the content is there. You can use it with anything in your itunes library. plus there's the built in netflix which is growing in leaps and bounds

Well then, there's nothing to complain about. I'm completely happy. Except for one thing: The Apple TV is not in stores yet. Slight inconvenience. But I'm patient.
  • Reply 19 of 29
    I just can't get excited over this new Apple TV. I kind of feel like my "old" one with 160GB is a lot better. Seems like a step backwards to me.
  • Reply 20 of 29
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    I just ordered an Apple TV. Apparently, they have ditched WebObjects as the store platform. Seems faster now.

I am looking forward to using the Netflix feature.