Microsoft to launch Office for Mac 2011 on Oct. 26

Comments

• Reply 41 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grking View Post

something is definitely wrong then, as it shouldn't take that long to sync at all. I was reading somewhere that Outlook does not support 2003 Server, so that may be an issue.

exchange 2007.

syncing from home now, getting the same result. sync is taking forever.
  • Reply 42 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bibbler View Post

Amen, You are correct!

Well, I'm sure things like Open Office, iWork, NeoOffice, work fine for some folks. Unfortunately for me (and millions of others), I would never take the chance of sending a file that does not open properly or that is formatted wrong to a client..

Like it or not most of the corporate world operates in the Office ecosystem . I'm sure the alternatives are fine for personal use or for a small group that doesn't have interact with anyone besides themselves, but not for anyone serious with doing interactive business.

ODF is an ISO Standard.

e.g.

Quote:

One objective of open formats like OpenDocument is to guarantee long-term access to data without legal or technical barriers, and some governments have come to view open formats as a public policy issue. Several governments around the world have introduced policies of partial or complete adoption. [48] What this means varies from case to case; in some cases, it means that the ODF standard has a national standard identifier; in some cases, it means that the ODF standard is permitted to be used where national regulation says that non-proprietary formats must be used, and in still other cases, it means that some government body has actually decided that ODF will be used in some specific context. The following is an incomplete list:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenDoc...dwide_adoption

What about ODF and Office for Mac 2011?

Also take a look: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_xm...zation_process
  • Reply 43 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

exchange 2007.

syncing from home now, getting the same result. sync is taking forever.

Most odd. What and how much are you trying to sync?
  • Reply 44 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by apfel View Post

ODF is an ISO Standard.

e.g.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenDoc...dwide_adoption

What about ODF and Office for Mac 2011?

Also take a look: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_xm...zation_process

can't open ODF with 2011. don't see a plugin for 2011 either from oracle...
  • Reply 45 of 69
    Quote:

Thx
  • Reply 46 of 69
    Quote:

I would expect a plugin to be released once 2011 is formally released.
  • Reply 47 of 69
    Support for the OpenDocument Format in Microsoft Office 2010

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Microsoft

Microsoft, as part of its commitment to Interoperability with the European Commission, includes support for ODF 1.1 in Microsoft Excel 2010, Microsoft Word 2010, and Microsoft PowerPoint 2010. With the inclusion of ODF support in Office 2010, Microsoft added a file format selection screen to enable you to select the default file format for these products.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/wo...101878944.aspx

But no (native) ODF Support for Office 2011 (Mac)?

-> looks like the critics are right that in reality MS is not interested in supporting ODF and it is just fake to save the office monopoly.
  • Reply 48 of 69
    Quote:

i thought you just said you loved the ribbon on windows? no ribbon on office 2008 for the mac. and the ribbon on 2011 isn't identical to office 2010 for win.

for some people open office doesn't 'do it'. if you work on across win, apple, linux distro, the OO is just fine (when text editor won't do lol).

Office 2011 wasn't available and still isn't.
  • Reply 49 of 69
    Well, so far Word, Excel, and PowerPoint were reviewed. All got 4.5 mice (out of five):

Word 2011

Excel

PowerPoint
  • Reply 50 of 69
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Keep a copy of this post and check back in a decade. I suspect MS Office will be another memory as well written, intuitive, collaborative web apps that are totally cloud based replace it. They won't be MS IMHO.

Although Word may be a standard for business communication, people really need to keep it simple. It is fine for flowed text with minimal formatting, but trying to make complicated documents is foolhardy since those types of documents tend to go haywire in a hurry when someone opens them in some other version or application. Complicated text documents need the assistance of a DTP expert for publishing. Collaboration should always be done in smaller pieces as to not complicate matters with lots of chapters and sections in a large single document.

But like you said, 10 years from now it may be obsolete and that big complex Word document may not be able to open in any current application. You only have to look at portable storage formats to see what will likely happen. When optical diskettes were all the rage they said the data was secure for more than 100 years. Maybe so, but even now, you can't read the disk because nobody has a drive.
  • Reply 51 of 69
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bibbler View Post

Office is a fine product and millions of people use it daily on their Macs and PCs (I use both). Microsoft is NOT coming down crashing on itself anytime in the foreseeable future and Office is NOT "crap".

Your post is silly and childish.

Well I'm jumping from Office 2004 on PPC Macs to NeoOffice on Intel Macs. Still have Office 2004 on one Intel Mac in case it's needed.

Sorry M$, open source does the job for me.

Yes, I made an open source donation.
  • Reply 52 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Until I can get Access for Mac, I'm not really interested. I use Office as a last resort for compatibility sake only. Plus I have a PC sitting side by side with my Mac so I just use Windows whenever the need arises.

why not use parallels or fusion?
  • Reply 53 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boomshala View Post

Office 2011 ? It does not interest me. I already have it at the office, and I can tell you that the much touted "ribbon" is a pain in the bum, you just can't find the regular menus and have to relearn the short cuts. Plus the graphs are always the same boring stuff... No matrix charts, no waterfall, the bubbles charts are always difficult to get. The gallery ? What's so new ? Keynote does it very well. Office 2011 for Mac ? No thx !

I agree that keynote absolutely hammers powerpoint. Unfortunately I am forced to use PowerPoint at work and it stinks. What always amazes me is its inability to handle many basic file formats. fur fox snake - it is supposed to be a media program!
  • Reply 54 of 69
    To each his own but some of you here have been critical of a product you haven't even used! I have been using the beta versions of Office 2011 and it flat out rocks! That is no exaggeration. I really don't think anything else out there is a robust and feature rich.

You guys can find Microsoft Office 2011 beta 6 on torrent sites. Download it, use it with an open mind and I promise you will be impressed.
  • Reply 55 of 69
    I love iWork
  • Reply 56 of 69
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macosxp View Post

performance is not something they can yet brag about.

I found it to be a lot faster than 2008. One of the managers from the MBU posted on this forum a while back:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=92472

I think it's commendable that they have listened to the feedback about performance, VBA support and improving Entourage and the UI and done something about it.

The application launch times are significantly faster and the apps use less RAM. Previously, a blank document used over 150MB RAM and now a single page template uses around 80MB. Large documents also don't hang up while you open them. It will load the pages into RAM when it needs to.

The cold boot times are still a bit slow, the video I posted in the above thread was comparing Word for Windows cold-booting in 2 seconds vs the Mac launch times. The cold boot times are still long but it might be that they do some different loading at startup on the Windows side. The startups after it being launched are still quicker than before and I noticed that loading any one of the apps seemed to make the others load quickly afterwards so they perhaps cache a common set of code.

I did find that if I made a layout document with 60-70 pages, typing started lagging considerably even without any spell-checking, auto-correct etc. Perhaps if they unloaded surrounding pages from RAM it would help. For example, only maintain 5 active pages in RAM and load/unload them as you scroll. Obviously future pages need to be reformatted but it can do that as you scroll down them.

I think the ribbon UI is much better than the floating palette and hiding the other bars makes the UI very clean.

I can't say I find Pages to be all that responsive/efficient and you have very little compatibility with most of the rest of the world. If you have to import/export between Word or Excel the majority of the time, which you do in any business environment then there's little point in buying iWork. iWork is more cost-effective but it's a headache dealing with compatibility issues.
  • Reply 57 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grking View Post

It may be a RAM issue. I have Beta 6 and 8 gigs of RAM, and the whole office suite just zips along.

yeah but 8gb of RAM? jeaz, i don'T even use anywhere near all 4gb of mine with my recording studio and this is to write a word doc? something is very wrong.
  • Reply 58 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by diamondgeeza View Post

I agree that keynote absolutely hammers powerpoint. Unfortunately I am forced to use PowerPoint at work and it stinks. What always amazes me is its inability to handle many basic file formats. fur fox snake - it is supposed to be a media program!

I for one won't be crying if powerpoint ever dies. It's a classic example of microsoft and "no taste", whatsoever. Keynote does indeed hammer it.
  • Reply 59 of 69
    OK. I've made my opinions on Word clear over the last years, ferociously, sadly and with great puzzlement at times, but the 2011 edition is excellent.

It's absolutely superb. I'm really enjoying it.

I've got no wish to play with the other apps really, although I might, now... This Word, I have to say, is the best word processor I've ever used. Seriously.

You still have to turn off everything you don't want, but that's easy. It's still a monster. But the implementation of the stuff I use is absolutely excellent.

Edit: should add, Word is my tool. I use it every day for hours and hours. This tool is the best tool.
  • Reply 60 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mumbo Jumbo View Post

OK. I've made my opinions on Word clear over the last years, ferociously, sadly and with great puzzlement at times, but the 2011 edition is excellent.

It's absolutely superb. I'm really enjoying it.

I've got no wish to play with the other apps really, although I might, now... This Word, I have to say, is the best word processor I've ever used. Seriously.

You still have to turn off everything you don't want, but that's easy. It's still a monster. But the implementation of the stuff I use is absolutely excellent.

Edit: should add, Word is my tool. I use it every day for hours and hours. This tool is the best tool.

IF you are an ms office fan then i am sure you will enjoy 2011. if you didn't care for it then i doubt it will make you switch. personally any day i don't have to use ANY 'Office" type product is a good day.