Apple extends its legal battle with Nokia into the UK

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple has sued Nokia in Britain, accusing the Finnish smartphone maker of violating nine patents it owns and extending the legal battle between the two companies.

According to Reuters, Apple sued Nokia over the same nine implementation patents it has challenged the company over in the U.S. A spokesperson for Nokia said the company was investigating the claims.

The first shot in the legal battle between the two companies fired by Nokia last October, when it accused Apple's iPhone of violating patents related to GSM and wireless LAN technology. It is believed that Nokia's losses in the market prompted the company to sue over the alleged use of 10 patented wireless standards in the iPhone.

Apple then responded to Nokia with its own lawsuit, accusing the Finnish company of infringing on iPhone-related patents.

The battle of the two smartphone giants is expected to drag out for years, with both companies looking for a court hearing to be held in 2012. The U.S. International Trade Commission -- the group with which the complaints were filed -- has agreed to look into both Nokia's and Apple's complaints against the other.

Earlier this month, Nokia's CEO stepped down, and Stephen Elop, former head of Microsoft's Business Division, took over. The company also revealed that its chairman will depart in 2012.

Nokia remains the largest mobile phone company, in terms of market share, but it has lost significant ground to Apple since the iPhone launched. Apple has also commanded the lion's share of profits in the smartphone market.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Almost as exciting as watching tennis...
  • Reply 2 of 17
    I should've been lawyer.. Sigh..
  • Reply 3 of 17
    I suspect Nokia is the wrong target to shoot at, but, if they have the cash, why not.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

I suspect Nokia is the wrong target to shoot at, but, if they have the cash, why not.

Nokia shot at Apple first. Apple fired back, it's only natural. What's Apple supposed to do? Just sit back and do nothing?
  • Reply 5 of 17
    Good move Apple. About time they started defending their IP which everyone is ripping off. Look at all the cloners out there now...it is disgusting.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

Nokia shot at Apple first. Apple fired back, it's only natural. What's Apple supposed to do? Just sit back and do nothing?

Nothing implied about blame, just wondering why Nokia is even on the radar. Blackberry and their new tablet, Samsung's new tablet (the samsung version looks like a iPad clone).

Wondering why not let Nokia continue to compete with Google, they seem to attract the same customers.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    I never want to grow up, it's great to see that others are the same too.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    More importantly, Nokia should be barred from infesting the market with their garbage. But alas ......
  • Reply 9 of 17
    I'm going to patent patent suits. I'll make a fortune in royalties.
  • Reply 10 of 17
     can trash Nokia easily in innovation ( Nokia should have been doing what  is doing,  aesthetic is very North-european & Japanese. )!

But i guess that will not suffice (not a perfect world)?
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Apple should sue Nokia for everything they can. Nokia's cellphone division is known to be in the red for a while, and then they decided to kill (literally) the competition.

They went as far as to try to block Apple from selling computers in the US. F(word) them!

I really hope they (nokia) get screwed as much as possible. If it was for them, I would still be paying $20 for a data cable and using a shitty software that didn't integrate with the rest of my operating system for contacts and calendar.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbarriault View Post

I'm going to patent patent suits. I'll make a fortune in royalties.

good idea, rofl, best i have heard involving there suits
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by igorleandro View Post

I really hope they (nokia) get screwed as much as possible. If it was for them, I would still be paying $20 for a data cable and using a shitty software that didn't integrate with the rest of my operating system for contacts and calendar.

Nokia has been using standard USB cables for a few years now, and Bluetooth for many years to sync, I think you will find it is Apple that uses a proprietary cable. And I'm not sure what you mean, my Nokia phones have intergrated into iCal, and the address book on my Mac for years as well.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Quote:

Nothing implied about blame, just wondering why Nokia is even on the radar. Blackberry and their new tablet, Samsung's new tablet (the samsung version looks like a iPad clone).

Wondering why not let Nokia continue to compete with Google, they seem to attract the same customers.

You are obviously late to this party. Nokia filed a patent infringement suit in the US against Apple months ago. Apple has filed countersuits against Nokia for patent infringement in the US and now the UK as well.

Kind of pointless to file a lawsuit over a product that is not shipping.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

I should've been lawyer.. Sigh..

Maybe I should change my major
  • Reply 16 of 17
    xsuxsu Posts: 401member
    Quote:

Nokia may not have a hot product, but they do have some nice patents. As these type of case usually end up with a settlement where involved parties cross license patents, it will end up in Apple's favor. Since they will be the one with multiple hot products, plus the nice patents to maybe enhance them further.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    Apple should buy nokia and then close it. Problem solved.