First look: Unboxing Apple's new $99 Apple TV with streaming HD content

Comments

• Reply 41 of 174
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webpoet73 View Post

I actually prefer the older AppleTV. Syncing it makes music and movies, etc available even when the network is running slow, etc.

Is it true that 802.11n slows down to g speeds if there are g devices on the network?

Wireless 'g' is still at least 20Mbps, which will be higher than any media being streamed from a LAN source and should be higher than the internet connection speed. Typical media content will be under 4Mbps data rate.

If you still prefer the old one for 1080p and buying from the device and don't care for Netflix, the new one will at least pull the prices of the old one down dramatically.
  • Reply 42 of 174
    Already covered upthread - I'm too slow commenting today!
  • Reply 43 of 174
    Going to operate snark-free today - comment removed
  • Reply 44 of 174
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fishstick_kitty View Post

I wish the article had more pictures

I wish "The Stripper", by the David Rose Orchestra, was playing in the background, while I looked at the pictures.
  • Reply 45 of 174
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    All-

I just got off the phone with an employee at the Apple Store in Tucson AZ. He said that some units of AppleTV had been shipped to them and would be arriving on Friday morning. He didn't know how many units, but he said that a ton of people have called in already and expressed their intent to be there at opening time on Friday. Give your local stores a call if you are interested in picking one up. UPDATE: Just to clarify, there was no way to reserve a unit. These folks are just going there hoping to get one of the N units.

Even with an unannounced store launch of a lower profile product, it's possible that we'll have pandemonium at the Apple Store once again.

Thompson
  • Reply 46 of 174
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:

I don't get it. It's a smaller version of the old AppleTV with no local storage. The Netflix integration is pretty nice. Still need multiple boxes to do everything. I actually prefer the older AppleTV. Syncing it makes music and movies, etc available even when the network is running slow, etc.

Is it true that 802.11n slows down to g speeds if there are g devices on the network? Or does it transfer at the highest speed available between two devices?

I have three g devices on my network (Wii, PS3 and iPod touch 2G), hoping these don't slow down my entire network to g-speed.

G/N dual band routers have independant broadcast. But you could still cap the wired internet connection capacity, especially if you have a PC doing a big download.

imo SJ is right about the old AppleTV storage, its useless. Just store your files a network drive or a PC.

The real solution would be a network itunes server that deserved the whole house. I have one on my D-link DNS323 box but never tried it. Apple should build it up on the time capsule box.
  • Reply 47 of 174
    that's gotta be the fugliest packaging I've ever seen from Apple
  • Reply 48 of 174

With tv, Apple has created the platform that is going to rule home entertainment.

There will be IOS updates and apps that I can't imagine, but Steve Jobs can and he will implement them.

For now I am thrilled to be receiving my own tv, it's due to arrive today 9/30/10.
  • Reply 49 of 174
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frankie View Post

I still don't get why they did;nt use the iOS and make a killing on more apps sold and distributed. Get everyone hooked just like the iphone....Then just have an iTV app on the front.

It looks like you haven't been reading up on news from MacRumors and AppleInsider in the last 48 hours or so. Apple posted files relating to the OS that is running on the new Apple TV, and the Dev team confirmed it is iOS. Not only this but they (the DevTeam) have already successfully jailbroken it using the same exploit as the iPhone 4.

In addition to it being iOS, Steve also hinted awhile back that Apps might be coming. It seems pretty clear that it will happen, it's just a matter of when. Of course, I am guessing that resourceful users out there will have apps up and running before Apple does it officially.
  • Reply 50 of 174
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJinTX View Post

It looks like you haven't been reading up on news from MacRumors and AppleInsider in the last 48 hours or so. Apple posted files relating to the OS that is running on the new Apple TV, and the Dev team confirmed it is iOS. Not only this but they (the DevTeam) have already successfully jailbroken it using the same exploit as the iPhone 4.

In addition to it being iOS, Steve also hinted awhile back that Apps might be coming. It seems pretty clear that it will happen, it's just a matter of when. Of course, I am guessing that resourceful users out there will have apps up and running before Apple does it officially.

It's been confirmed to be iOS for even longer than that, I'm surprised people still don't know.
  • Reply 51 of 174
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kisin View Post

that's gotta be the fugliest packaging I've ever seen from Apple

It seems like their normal packaging aesthetic.

What's not to like?
  • Reply 52 of 174
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Does anybody know if Netflix will it work on Apple TV in Canada now that the service has officially landed?

OK - I have the answer to all interested parties - it will.
  • Reply 53 of 174

deleted

• Reply 54 of 174
    Quote:

I am looking at the 99 dollar Roku box. At least with it, you can add local storage via USB. Unfortunately, it doesn't support AAC, so there goes most of my music. Except that it can be played the old fashioned way... from the cd! [via DVD player]

I really dont get why people want local storage. I had a WDTV with USB and to add something new you had to unplug the drive, plug it into a Pc then wait for the file to copy, then plug it back into the WDTV. Why would you want to do this when you can just stream from the network...

imo local storage is bad files management, files should be on a netdrive with an external USB drive backup that is store OUT of the house (work, family, friends,...). I have two 1TB USB drives with one at work and one at home and I do backup rotations with them.
  • Reply 55 of 174
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

A smaller aperture would make for pictures that are in focus.

When do owners of earlier models get NetFlix?

No Netflix on legacy AppleTV

wouldn't suprise me if they weren't allowed to implement this because the studios want absolutely no risk of people hacking the legacy ATVs to record the streaming movies? Maybe a strech, but I wouldn't put it past those SOBs!
  • Reply 56 of 174
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

I really dont get why people want local storage. I had a WDTV with USB and to add something new you had to unplug the drive, plug it into a Pc then wait for the file to copy, then plug it back into the WDTV. Why would you want to do this when you can just stream from the network...

People want local storage because the computer that does streaming is turned off. Apple sells more laptops than desktops so this scenario is applicable to many.
  • Reply 57 of 174
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Does anybody know if Netflix will it work on Apple TV in Canada now that the service has officially landed?

OK - I have the answer to all interested parties - it will.

Yep, but Canadian movie selection is very very bad. Hope it gets better soon.
  • Reply 58 of 174
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pt123 View Post

People want local storage because the computer that does streaming is turned off. Apple sells more laptops than desktops so this scenario is applicable to many.

I have an old AppleTV and an iMac and I still dont see your point. The AppleTV will "wake" my iMac whenever I need to stream content from it. You dont NEED to turn off you mac, it will go to sleep on its own and the beauty is the AppleTV can wake it up without you having to go touch the keyboard.

But the real solution, has I said, would be an itunes that run from a netdrive so its always available for anyone in the house and for any devices.

Now if you have a win-garbage Pc than abends half the time when it wakes up thats another story.
  • Reply 59 of 174
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

The real solution would be a network itunes server that deserved the whole house. I have one on my D-link DNS323 box but never tried it. Apple should build it up on the time capsule box.

I have over three hundred movies ripped into iTunes, thousands of songs, all of my photos and video footage stored on my main computer, with Home Sharing turned on. This server runs on the 5 GHz band of the AE dual router all by itself. Other devices attach to the 2.4 GHz band and pull info from it that way.

It seems like I could get a number of AppleTV's to place at every TV in the house. I can just store my DVD's in the garage and not have to futz with them anymore. I'm looking forward to an all-digital future.

I wish the studios would get on board with that vision... if they can figure out how to monetize it.

Thompson
  • Reply 60 of 174
    I just sold my old Apple TV in prep for new model. However, I note there are no audio output jacks on the new model. How do I get my iTunes music to play on my audio system? I use to take the audio output and plug it into my preamp/processor>