Apple plans to push HTML5 by creating new, 'innovative' websites

Comments

• Reply 61 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Almost everything in Flash can be replicated with HTML 5 + Canvas + Javascript. Once you have a programmable graphics context that supports vectors you can build pretty much any type of graphics content. Here's a games site with HTML 5 games on it:

http://html5games.com/2010/04/asteroids/

While running that game the CPU on my MBP spiked to 98%. Gosh, I thought only Flash did that.

Quote:

That site has quite a number of games. Some Flash games will look nicer as the SDK is more mature and has effects like motion blur and particle animations but it's just a matter of time until those things are added to HTML 5 if they haven't been done already by 3rd parties. There are even HTML 5 game engines:

http://ajaxian.com/archives/aves-game-engine

Ironically, the video on that page uses Flash.
  • Reply 62 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tjw View Post

I agree. It is only a matter of time before android market share matches iOS and now even blackberry can run flash (not sure about the phones but the new blackberry playbook does). Soon apple and iOS are going to be in the minority with a relatively featureless product....

Sure websites like youtube and iplayer have mobile versions that run - no flash required but let's be honest.... The flash sites are much much better. You guys in the UK check out iplayer on the ipad for a perfect example.

Apple has really run themselves into a corner with the whole anti flash thing. Soon people will realise that limited choice and featureless is not worth it just to have a shiny apple logo.

Marketshare - since it is the only metric that android fans can bring to the table - a logical selection to throw up here. But not relevant in light of all the other statistics for the platforms. And the clock is ticking on Android anyway. Google doesn't have the support infrastructure to maintain Android for an extended length of time and Microsoft is poised to wrestle Google best two out of three falls for the marketshare Redmond surrendered to Google in handhelds. Just wait. As soon as they are ready to spring ChromeOS to the public via tablets and netbooks Android will be put out to semi-retirement.

Don't know where you've been but Apple has ALWAYS been a minority marketshare in computers - just the most profitable part of the market. iPods were an anomaly, pretty much because none of the other PMP makers had the foresight to build a coherent ecosystem to support their devices. Ironically, with the amount of market growth Apple is showing across pretty much all of it's consumer products (you do follow the news and stuff - right?) the rest of your commentary is pretty much meaningless nonsense. How soon is "soon" going to be anyway? Never mind, you don't have the remotest idea regarding the subject matter do you.
  • Reply 63 of 92
    tjwtjw Posts: 216member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by knwbuddy View Post

I disagree. Apple can and does change their strategy when they believe the change is a path to increased profits. They are making a big gamble here, but they can and will cut their losses if it is the wisest choice at the time.

They are huge, and it is becoming increasingly difficult to be nimble. But I wouldn't say that they are anywhere near a corner yet. They can change course any time it becomes a wise thing to do.

So far, iPad sales are booming, despite the lack of certain things. Plenty of people fail to realize what you identify. And Apple makes huge profits currently. Whether enough people will eventually realize - nobody knows. But betting against Apple has been foolish for several years now.

My whole point is based on the fact that the market is about to be flooded with competition touting flash on mobile devices - people will notice then...
  • Reply 64 of 92
    Quote:

I disagree. Apple can and does change their strategy when they believe the change is a path to increased profits. They are making a big gamble here, but they can and will cut their losses if it is the wisest choice at the time.

They are huge, and it is becoming increasingly difficult to be nimble. But I wouldn't say that they are anywhere near a corner yet. They can change course any time it becomes a wise thing to do.

So far, iPad sales are booming, despite the lack of certain things. Plenty of people fail to realize what you identify. And Apple makes huge profits currently. Whether enough people will eventually realize - nobody knows. But betting against Apple has been foolish for several years now.

Let's make sure we are comparing things correctly here - Microsoft is HUGE. Massive staff, tall hierarchical management structure, wide network of paid consultants working directly in corporate systems support across the globe. They dwarf Apple in all ways except market capitalization. And while Apple slowly closing the gap on Msoft in profits and networth, they are still run very leanly with less than half the staff. We should not confuse market capitalisation, networth or profitability with actual physical size or operational density. My own Fortune 10 company is over twice the size of Apple.

But for example:

Microsoft (from most recent corporate reporting)

Revenue ~ $62.484 billion

Operating income ~ $24.098 billion

Profit ~ $18.760 billion

Total assets ~ $86.113 billion

Total equity ~ $46.175 billion

Employees ~ 89,000(not counting contractors)

Subsidiaries: in excess of 100 subsidiaries, with operating stakes in over 100 more

Apple (from most recent corporate reporting)

Revenue ~ $42.91 billion

Operating income ~ $11.74 billion

Profit ~ $8.24 billion

Total assets ~ $47.50 billion

Total equity ~ $31.64 billion

Employees ~ 34,300(not including contractors)

Subsidiaries: 2

It seems they are nimble enough to out maneuver the rest of the industry by introducing and selling the iPad - forcing everyone else to cough up knock-offs and wannabees. But yes, they are much bigger and less nimble than you.
  • Reply 65 of 92
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RationalTroll View Post

Chome has a tiny market share, and given Microsoft's history of ship dates which do you think will happen first: IE9 will ship, or HTML5 will be finalized?

See also:

http://www.deepbluesky.com/blog/-/br...-and-html5_72/

...where you'll find the current status of IE support for HTML5:

So what you meant to say is that Apple is in the vanguard of where the fleet is headed, albeit slowly.
  • Reply 66 of 92
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Everyone is aware that HTML5 lacks modern tools. And Apple needs iOS devices to offer the best web experiences.

I would bet a gazillion dollars that Apple's interest in 'creating new, innovative websites' is Cupertino's code for building and road-testing a new Mac-based HTML5 web-development tool.
  • Reply 67 of 92
    Quote:

The reason Apple remains nimble is because of 1 person, Steve Jobs. When he barks, the whole Apple universe shudders.
  • Reply 68 of 92
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

Flash is yesterday's technology. HTML5 is tomorrow's.

What is today's technology then?
  • Reply 69 of 92
    cimcim Posts: 197member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

What is today's technology then?

Both of them.
  • Reply 70 of 92
    cimcim Posts: 197member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Everyone is aware that HTML5 lacks modern tools. And Apple needs iOS devices to offer the best web experiences.

I would bet a gazillion dollars that Apple's interest in 'creating new, innovative websites' is Cupertino's code for building and road-testing a new Mac-based HTML5 web-development tool.

Adobe has HTML5 tools out.
  • Reply 71 of 92
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Content authoring is not Apple's forté. Apple has a poor track record of developing top tier content authoring tools. That is more an Adobe gig. Apple has purchased a few pro tools but developed few other than Motion that I can think of. iWeb is strictly consumer level.

For those who do have experience in JS/CSS programming surely realize what a major can of worms it would be to try to dumb down JS/CSS into a drag and drop GUI. Next to impossible in my opinion. Certainly one of the major things holding up widespread adoption of the technologies.

Apple may be taking the approach of creating a lot of HTML 5 type content just to inspire coders to raise their game a notch because the level of expertise required for high end JS is huge. Pretty steep learning curve.
  • Reply 72 of 92
    ajmasajmas Posts: 597member
    If you want to test your browser support, visit: http://html5test.com/
  • Reply 73 of 92
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

1) Don't be a jerk. Why be so rude?

He's probably being justifiably rude because he knows he's dealing with the new Newtron, Knwbuddy.

But thanks for all the good detail in your replies. This has been an unusually informative thread, with only minor obstructions from the SODs (sowers of discord).
  • Reply 74 of 92
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Oh, but Flash games, FWIW is not replaceable by HTML5 at this stage.

This one's kinda fun... But also shows the limits of web games development, in terms of resources and income.

http://www.crazymonkeygames.com/Shadez.html

What do you guys think of Flash games?

I think I can't be bothered clicking "Click to Flash" on that site.

What do you think of iOS games?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymlCWbxTgds
  • Reply 75 of 92
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

I think I can't be bothered clicking "Click to Flash" on that site.

What do you think of iOS games?

Now I don't play flash games, but they have the advantage that they will work on my computer, where ios games won't
  • Reply 76 of 92
    Let's hope they stop misleading people into thinking Safari is the only browser that support html5, like they do at http://www.apple.com/html5/
  • Reply 77 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

There will always be a need for fallback. That is what QuickTime, Flash and even Silverlight will be used for in the future of web based video. This is the nature of progress.

I almost totally agree...

The video tag should be the no.1 priority with h.264 and then WebM. If the user doesn't have a browser capable of the video tag Apple could fall back to QuickTime, or alternatively they could just display something along the lines of "You need a HTML5 compatible browser to view this movie. Upgrade your browser using one of the links below..."

I imagine people still running IE6\\7\\8 or older versions of Safari, Chrome, Firefox and Opera would eventually get the point if most websites started doing the same thing.
  • Reply 78 of 92
    Development tools are needed not web sites.

How about e-learning development tools!? The iPad is the perfect mobile device for e-learning, and yet, most e-learning 'stuff' is coded in Flash. Bummer.

So, someone please develop some easy to use excellent e-learning tools.
  • Reply 79 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

I think this is a head fake for what they are really up to... iAds for the general web. Google be warned!

You're joking, right? Please tell me you're joking.
  • Reply 80 of 92
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    People are still learning how to use some of the more dynamic features of HTML5. The changes to Apple Trailers just get up my nose, for example. Hopefully this new team will make some real progress.

However I have my doubts, since there are thousands of developers working on iPhone and iPad apps, which use Cocoa Touch, a more powerful GUI framework than HTML5, so I suspect anything this new team can think of would already have been done on an iDevice, and they will be reduced to reinventing the wheel in Javascript.