Apple TV teardown finds 8GB of storage, 256MB of RAM

Comments

• Reply 41 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) I have 84 apps in Mobile Applications folder that come to 2.5GB. That includes TomTom weighing in at 1.5GB.

2) Take a 25GB Blu-ray disc and note how much of that space is used. Then subtract all data except the actual movie. Then consider that is a local version of the video and therefore will be using High-Profile which is much higher than any streaming content will be over the next several years. Now download a 1080p movie trailer or 1080p YouTube video. Now take those bit rates and multiply that by 60, then by 150 to get the bit rate in a 2.5 hour movie. Finally divide that figure by 8 to get the number of kiloBYTES, then you can divide by 1000 to get MiB and 1000 again to get GiB. (I used BASE-10 because that is how Apple measures it?s storage on all devices)

Well, that certainly clears things up!

I'm good to go.

• Reply 42 of 61
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:

2) Take a 25GB Blu-ray disc and note how much of that space is used. Then subtract all data except the actual movie. Then consider that is a local version of the video and therefore will be using High-Profile which is much higher than any streaming content will be over the next several years. Now download a 1080p movie trailer or 1080p YouTube video. Now take those bit rates and multiply that by 60, then by 150 to get the bit rate in a 2.5 hour movie. Finally divide that figure by 8 to get the number of kiloBYTES, then you can divide by 1000 to get MiB and 1000 again to get GiB. (I used BASE-10 because that is how Apple measures it?s storage on all devices)

65% of current releases are BD50, so maybe you should be referring to the 50GB discs.

And sure, if you are happy with the results of an overly compressed 1080p file, I'm sure they can fit one in 8GB
  • Reply 43 of 61
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Well, that certainly clears things up!

I'm good to go.

I didn?t have any examples to use for the second one. I had hoped someone would take the ball but I think this thread is just about dead. Oh well.

PS: I recieved an iPad today as a gift.
  • Reply 44 of 61
    Quote:

PS: I recieved an iPad today as a gift.

So, tell us: changed your mind about it yet?
  • Reply 45 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

So, tell us: changed your mind about it yet?

Not exactly. I was going to get the $139 Kindle for some basic document reading but the delay between shipping had me hold off on that. I also reconsidered and then held off on the iPad because I figured I?d just get the the next one. I?ll have it in hand tomorrow (still in the mail) and it will be useful for some basic docs. Outside of that I don?t know yet. I?ll have v4.2b2 on it immediately so we?ll see if that changes anything. If the Safari issue is still there I?ll just get a 3rd-party browser for it. One good thing is the number of 3rd-party apps and apps that now have multitasking added for when v4.2 goes live in November, unlike the v4.0 release where it was still few and far between.
  • Reply 46 of 61
    Quote:

I?d rather have the next AppleTV release, after the SDK and App Store make it a smashing hit, to include a larger version. Something the size of the new Mac Mini, with a 3.5? HDD, HiP 1080p and GB-Ethernet. Selling for quite a bit more, but designed for those that want a primary AppleTV for their main HDTV and the little $99 units for their other TVs.

I don't think it's going to work out that way. The AppleTV is what it is -- an expiditer device. If you are streaming, yeah, it can buffer that.

But there is no real need for storage of content or apps -- we already have superior, cheaper solutions for that.

Everyone wants to connect a USB drive to the AppleTV. Why? More storage. Well I already have several 2 terabyte drives attached to a Mac Mini computer -- these store and stream content to my old AppltTV just fine. Why should I change anything -- just add a $99 device to the network and be done with it.

• Reply 47 of 61
    Quote:

I don't think it's going to work out that way. The AppleTV is what it is -- an expiditer device. If you are streaming, yeah, it can buffer that.

But there is no real need for storage of content or apps -- we already have superior, cheaper solutions for that.

Everyone wants to connect a USB drive to the AppleTV. Why? More storage. Well I already have several 2 terabyte drives attached to a Mac Mini computer -- these store and stream content to my old AppltTV just fine. Why should I change anything -- just add a $99 device to the network and be done with it.

I really don’t think it will come either, but I would like 1080p in a device and surprised they didn’t include it for local networked content for a device that didn’t get updated in HW for 3.5 years last time.

But more importantly I really would like to see an iOS-based Apple Media Server. I think this is the biggest missing feature in Apple’s lineup. I device with multiple, hot swappable 3.5” HDDs. A device that be be the central repository for all computing devices on the LAN and have a slick WAN access. Windows Home Server does this pretty damn well.. at least for MS.
  • Reply 48 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The new Apple TV uses a Samsung K9LCG08U1M 8GB NAND Flash chip, which is the same part found during the site's iPad teardown. The memory is likely used to cache content that is being streamed.

Steaming buffer for sure. Also if they are still allowing itunes rentals like before, the files need some place to go.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ihxo View Post

I guess that pretty much confirms that there will be an appstore for AppleTV.

Jobs confirmed that an app store of some kind is not out of the question. At some point and to some degree.

Honestly I suspect that it not be support for every app out there but, at least in the beginning, for specially designed apps that would work in conjunction with an iDevice. Like games that use the device as a controller and the Apple TV turn the tv into the game board.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

My guess is that people are mistakenly referring to the rentals as "streaming,"

ANd my guess is that you missed the key new feature of the device -- Netflix support.
  • Reply 49 of 61
    I'm really dying to know two things:

1) Does the new ATV support 1080i/p upconversion? All the 720p iTunes content looks fantastic through my "old" ATV upconversion.

2) How do standard/high def Netflix videos look? I have a Mac Mini hooked up to my 56" 1080P set but the Netflix video quality over the already poor svga connection to the television is horrible.
  • Reply 50 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Is RAM soldered or socketed? Anyone?

The 256MB RAM is embedded within the A4 chip.

But as I can tell you actually mean the flash memory - that's soldered on.
  • Reply 51 of 61
    Quote:

I really don’t think it will come either, but I would like 1080p in a device and surprised they didn’t include it for local networked content for a device that didn’t get updated in HW for 3.5 years last time.

I believe we'll see it updated more frequently. At $99, it's expendible-- more so than some remotes.

Quote:

But more importantly I really would like to see an iOS-based Apple Media Server. I think this is the biggest missing feature in Apple’s lineup. I device with multiple, hot swappable 3.5” HDDs. A device that be be the central repository for all computing devices on the LAN and have a slick WAN access. Windows Home Server does this pretty damn well.. at least for MS.

I agree completely... Add to that a cloud backup using TimeMachine to stage the migration of content from home to cloud.

I really thought Apple was going to do something with a "Home Server" * when they were fiddling with ZFS.

* Home Media Server has a much better connotation.

• Reply 52 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Steaming buffer for sure. Also if they are still allowing itunes rentals like before, the files need some place to go.

ANd my guess is that you missed the key new feature of the device -- Netflix support.

i just tried netflix for the first time ever this morning and did it on my new tv.

it is connected to a killer 55' LG beast of a set.

netflix quality SUUUUUUUUUUX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was really hoping to ditch comcast by using netflix and itunes store.

problems are:

* the netfix quality is way under par for anything but a little screen. its teh suk....

* itunes needs a better rental model than .99 a show

BTW, itunes HD content is very good on my TV, not as wicked as Bluray but the convenience makes up for it. itunes SD is still waaaaaaay better than netflix
  • Reply 53 of 61
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

You'll have to explain what Netflix has to do with my post.
  • Reply 54 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MagicFingers View Post

BTW, itunes HD content is very good on my TV, not as wicked as Bluray but the convenience makes up for it. itunes SD is still waaaaaaay better than netflix

That is what Engadget and others recently rediscovered. People get hung up on 720p and 1080p but it?s the bit rate that matters. They said the 720p from iTunes bsted Netflix, Amazon Roku and cable HD by a large margin. The only one that is better is Blu-ray, as expected, but if you want Blu-ray then you?ll have a Blu-ray player so it?s a non-issue.
  • Reply 55 of 61
    Quote:

That is what Engadget and others recently rediscovered. People get hung up on 720p and 1080p but it?s the bit rate that matters. They said the 720p from iTunes bsted Netflix, Amazon Roku and cable HD by a large margin. The only one that is better is Blu-ray, as expected, but if you want Blu-ray then you?ll have a Blu-ray player so it?s a non-issue.

iitunes HD and SD quality are definitely best of class for streaming/rental or purchase.

Question, how does one watch an NFL game live on espn on a big TV if you dont have cable?

i am a big bears fan
  • Reply 56 of 61
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:

iitunes HD and SD quality are definitely best of class for streaming/rental or purchase.

Question, how does one watch an NFL game live on espn on a big TV if you dont have cable?

i am a big bears fan

Are the games available online? If so, you could hook up a computer to your TV. Eventually I would expect apps for Apple TV and with apps you could potentially have one that streams the games.

Going without cable at this point has some compromises, but it should improve as time goes on.
  • Reply 57 of 61
    Quote:

i am a big bears fan

Thru Justin.tv

Plug your hacked ATV v1.0 with Boxee and stream away on your 55 incher!
  • Reply 58 of 61
    Quote:

i just tried netflix for the first time ever this morning and did it on my new tv.

it is connected to a killer 55' LG beast of a set.

netflix quality SUUUUUUUUUUX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was really hoping to ditch comcast by using netflix and itunes store.

problems are:

* the netfix quality is way under par for anything but a little screen. its teh suk....

* itunes needs a better rental model than .99 a show

I got my new ATV a few hours ago -- been satisfied with everything except AirPlay from iPad is not yet supported.

NetFlix looks great on a 3 year old 46" Sony Bravia -- better than Comcast or UVerse.

• Reply 59 of 61
    Quote:

I got my new ATV a few hours ago -- been satisfied with everything except AirPlay from iPad is not yet supported.

NetFlix looks great on a 3 year old 46" Sony Bravia -- better than Comcast or UVerse.

It's not in the v4.2 beta?

On another note, I'm surprised Apple is even bothering synchronizing iOS 4.2 for all iOS handheld devices come November. I wonder if they will do the same for iOS in the AppleTV or if this and future iOS devices not using CocoaTouch will be seperated.
  • Reply 60 of 61
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:

Dick, would you mind sharing a bit more about your current setup?

You are using the MacMini as the server - check

You have attached multiple drives attached for storage - I assume Firewire?

Are you storing all content in iTunes?

What do you use to rip?

What format?

The reason I am asking is to set it straight in my head which way I want to go. Your setup, and others like it, seem to be the best possible solution. I could just use a little help on the details. Where I get stuck is which way provides the cleanest setup with the best possible HD output. I have a 1st generation AppleTV and can get 1080i output. I may at some point "upgrade" to the newer version, for the NetFlix feature if nothing else.

Your thoughts?