China Unicom iPhone 4 sales hit 100K in first four days

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Sales of the iPhone 4 by China Unicom hit 100,000 in the first four days of availability. Another 100,000 customers will have to wait until as late as the end of October for their preorders to be fulfilled.

China Unicom announced the figures Tuesday, the People's Daily reports. First day shipments exceeded 40,000 units, with the total reaching 100,000 within the first few days after launch.

Chinese demand for the iPhone 4 has been greater than expected. According to China Unicom, over 200,000 customers preordered the smartphone in the week leading up to the launch. The 100,000 customers who preordered the iPhone and have yet to receive it should get their phones by the end of next month, China Unicom said.

Apple and China Unicom have built upon last year's launch. "The sales of previous versions of iPhones created a solid foundation for the explosive performance of the iPhone 4 this year," China Unicom senior vice-president Li Gang said.

In the first week after the initial iPhone launch in 2009, China Unicom signed up just 5,000 iPhone customers.

Heavy subsidies of the iPhone 4 may be driving sales. According to a China Unicom press release (Google Translation), customers who sign up for the 16GB iPhone 4 with a 2-year contract and a 286RMB ($43) monthly plan will pay nothing for the phone.

Last week, thousands of fans lined up outside Apple's Chinese retail stores eager to purchase the new handset.

Apple did not respond to a request for the iPhone 4's sales figures from Apple's four stores in China.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Apple needs to step it up with the demand. The demand is just to high and people are getting impatient. And where is the white iphone 4?!
  • Reply 2 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Heavy subsidies of the iPhone 4 may be driving sales. According to a China Unicom press release (Google Translation), customers who sign up for the 16GB iPhone 4 with a 2-year contract and a 286RMB ($43) monthly plan will pay nothing for the phone.

The last few articles I have read on the launch in China have acted like it is a real surprise that launch figures are 200,000 vs. the 5,000 of last year. If there were no subsidies at all available last year and everyone had to pay full price, then that could indeed be a driving factor.

And yet, each article has failed to mention a key difference: last year's iPhone for China was missing WIFI.

This was not an Apple failure, this was required by the China govt./regulators. Small wonder that figures are up this year and are more in line with iPhone launches elsewhere. Much as I would not settle for anything less than an iPhone, WIFI makes it the compelling device that it is. If I really wanted an iPhone, whether or not I was part of the Chinese economy, I would still pay full price if I had too (and I am sure there are more than 5,000 others in the whole of China who felt the same way) -- but if it was missing WIFI, no deal. That's why last year's numbers were so low.

I mean, that's like selling Wii's with its famous motion control disabled. Big news. Enable motion controllers a year later and see if the sales figures increase, then say it was because the stores offered financing.
  • Reply 3 of 13

I can't believe, the whole world would buy more white iPhones, if the thing is finally out.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    How do you know it is 'subsidized' as opposed to people simply paying for it in monthly installments as part of their $43/month plan?!
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

How do you know it is 'subsidized' as opposed to people simply paying for it in monthly installments as part of their $43/month plan?!

Coz that's what it says on the China Unicom iPhone website. How much you pay for the iPhone 4 there depends on the plan. Its the same in some countries. The $43 plan is the cheapest plan you can get the iPhone for free. The most expensive is $132 with 4GB cap.

I swore I could've read that the iPhone 4 was unsubsidized in China. I guess not..
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

Coz that's what it says on the China Unicom iPhone website. How much you pay for the iPhone 4 there depends on the plan. Its the same in some countries. The $43 plan is the cheapest plan you can get the iPhone for free. The most expensive is $132 with 4GB cap.

I swore I could've read that the iPhone 4 was unsubsidized in China. I guess not..

That's what what says?

Are you implying that just because China Unicom uses the word 'subsidized' in its website, it must be true? Is this description is in Chinese? If so, do you know you have the right translation of the word they're using? And what do you mean by you 'could've read that the iPhone was unsubsidized in China'?

I guess I don't follow what you're saying.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    And there were already 100's of thousands of iPhone 4's here in China before they officially went on sale. And Millions of previous models! You see them everywhere. (And no they aren't clones.)
  • Reply 8 of 13
    I can only imagine, what average Chinese or American would do, if he appears to be boarding an aircraft to France or hanging in line inside french movie theater. He would probably faint like a goat from Tennessee.

The number of iPhones in hands and how sharply it increases comparedly to in any other crowds surprises even the eyes, being used to see Apple products.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    No matter how you slice it, it's all good news for Apple.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

That's what what says?

Are you implying that just because China Unicom uses the word 'subsidized' in its website, it must be true? Is this description is in Chinese? If so, do you know you have the right translation of the word they're using? And what do you mean by you 'could've read that the iPhone was unsubsidized in China'?

I guess I don't follow what you're saying.

http://iphone.10010.com/buy/

my chinese is a little bit rusty so if there's anyone here who can read well feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

the website doesn't mention the word subsidized at all.. what i meant was that the previous articles i've read was that it was being sold at full price even with a 2 year contract.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    I think my previous post may answer your question.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...23#post1717923

I'm a native Chinese reader, you can trust my translation

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

http://iphone.10010.com/buy/

my chinese is a little bit rusty so if there's anyone here who can read well feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

the website doesn't mention the word subsidized at all.. what i meant was that the previous articles i've read was that it was being sold at full price even with a 2 year contract.

• Reply 12 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by popeyelin View Post

I think my previous post may answer your question.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...23#post1717923

I'm a native Chinese reader, you can trust my translation

I believe you.. Thanks for clearing it. I just got back from a business trip to the Philippines and they launched same day as China and from how you explained it, it's actually kinda the same pricing scheme they have over in the Philippines. Now I'm realizing how much AT&T truly is ripping our balls out. I mean I know they have but comparing the price is.. damn. I'm sure there are carriers in other countries that are worst than AT&T when it comes to pricing.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    it is not about wifi. it is about iphone 4. when previous iphone w/o wifi was announced in china, most of chinese who can afford iphone might already have had it. now, they need to upgrade. also over the past 2 years, chinese started to know what a smart phone is about and how iphone is cool, specially those hypes generated by apple/iphone fans across the global. though i don't have a statistics, i doubt that majority of chinese iphone 4 users would use wifi or know how to use wifi. the most important aspect of iphone 4 for majority of chinese users are: coolness; text messaging; phone. it might take another couple of years for them to realize iphone as a powerful computing platform.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by krabbelen View Post

And yet, each article has failed to mention a key difference: last year's iPhone for China was missing WIFI.