Apple issues new beta of Mac OS X 10.6.5 to developers

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple seeded Mac OS X 10.6.5 build 10H548 to developers Thursday with no known issues.

Apple's sixth build comes two weeks after the previous build, which was released alongside the first beta of iOS 4.2.

The first beta of Mac OS 10.6.5 was issued on Friday, Aug. 13. Apple initially released weekly builds of the OS, but builds have recently been coming two weeks apart.

Apple released Mac OS X 10.6.4 on Tuesday, June 15.

People familiar with the build have reported that the focus areas are:

3D Graphics

iCal

Mail

QuickTime

Time Machine

USB Devices

Comments

• Reply 1 of 50
    ejieji Posts: 39member
    Good to see USB devices on there, although I suppose many peripherals could fall under that heading. My Logitech mouse has been incredibly flaky since the 10.6.4 update, mostly in terms of drag-and-drop functionality. So for example, rearranging text in Word or dragging icons from .dmgs to the Applications folder can be a three-, four-, or five-attempt process.
  • Reply 2 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eji View Post

Good to see USB devices on there, although I suppose many peripherals could fall under that heading. My Logitech mouse has been incredibly flaky since the 10.6.4 update, mostly in terms of drag-and-drop functionality. So for example, rearranging text in Word or dragging icons from .dmgs to the Applications folder can be a three-, four-, or five-attempt process.

I forgot about osx. Still in beta?
  • Reply 3 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sleepy Dinosaur View Post

It certainly feels like it when the mouse doesn't seem to "grip" the selected object. Hard to pinpoint, though, as it could be my aging mouse or OS X's interaction with this particular Logitech model.
  • Reply 4 of 50
    Quote:

I see what you did there. Yeah, but I wish they would just get on with 10.7 and surprise us with some new features. What features, I have no idea.
  • Reply 5 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bartfat View Post

I see what you did there. Yeah, but I wish they would just get on with 10.7 and surprise us with some new features. What features, I have no idea.

Facetime for Mac would be a start
  • Reply 6 of 50
    Quote:

Apple seeded Mac OS X 10.6.5 build 10H548 to developers Thursday with no known issues.

Apple's sixth build comes two weeks after the previous build, which was released alongside the first beta of iOS 4.2.

But, when will it come to "the rest of us" to paraphrase the Apple slogan in the 1984 SuperBowl TV Ad "Computers for the rest of us" (the Mac not being an IBM PC clone running Microsoft DOS operating system)?

• Reply 7 of 50
    wingswings Posts: 261member
    I've got bunches of old mpg movies. Ones taken back when mpg (and sorenson - yuk) was about the only game in town. And for the past several iterations of QT, scrubbing through an mpg movie now results in the dreaded spinning wagon wheel, often followed by a QT crash. Will they fix it this time? Doubt it. What am I supposed to do, re-encode to h.264 and further reduce the already marginal quality of those old mpgs?

Sorry for the rant, but QT is starting to bug me. You would think that Apple would make QT the number one video player on the planet, capable of playing anything, kinda like VLC. But no. They want to focus on stuff they want to promote and don't give a twit to the rest of the world who just wants one damn player that plays everything.
  • Reply 8 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by merlinw View Post

yes!!
  • Reply 9 of 50
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

Windows must still be in alpha.
  • Reply 10 of 50
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

10.7 has been continuously developed even before the day 10.6 was released. That's standard.
  • Reply 11 of 50
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Snow Leopard... just over a year old but already feels like "old reliable" to me. I think I have had only about 3 crash boxes from Apple software in the last 6 months. It's becoming a rarity.
  • Reply 12 of 50
    Will 10.6.5 reflect the changes made to iCal on the mobileme platform also on the desktop? iCal looks so outdated.
  • Reply 13 of 50
    Quote:

If there is a Mac OS X 10.7 it will likely be the last traditional desktop operating system for Macs. And I believe it will be minimalist compared to OS X now (Think of QuickTime X as the precursor to the direction it will take). It's difficult even for me to think about it but the computer is no longer the focus of technology any more, for the entire industry not just Apple. All future efforts Apple puts into them will be secondary or less to the multitudes of iDevices that are to come.
  • Reply 14 of 50
    Quote:

It certainly feels like it when the mouse doesn't seem to "grip" the selected object. Hard to pinpoint, though, as it could be my aging mouse or OS X's interaction with this particular Logitech model.

All our Razer Pro mice have gone to pieces since 10.6.4. One; faulty mouse, six; faulty drivers. No driver updates from Razer, so maybe they're witting on a fix from Apple.
  • Reply 15 of 50
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:

No mouse issues here - sure it's not your mouse that could have something physically wrong with it? I don't see any common reports of this being an issue?
  • Reply 16 of 50
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Snow Leopard... just over a year old but already feels like "old reliable" to me. I think I have had only about 3 crash boxes from Apple software in the last 6 months. It's becoming a rarity.

I've had a few Finder freezes, not always cured with a FQ and always caused by 3rd party software or USB but I have not seen a full blown system crash once on any of six Macs since SL ... just my 2 cents.

The 3D element mentioned intrigues me. Is this bug fixing or performance boosting I wonder.

Regarding QT. I wonder if QT will merge features of 7 into the 10 version I seems weird having two very different versions of player. I need all the features of 7.
  • Reply 17 of 50
    Quote:

NO, it's an incredible OS, perfectly stable no issues, far outperforming it's predecessor - what issues are you having that suggest this OS is somehow not release ready?

I'm running 10 27" i7 iMacs, each with 4 or 8 gigs of ram, all running CS5 ultimate collection, office and various other utilities/applications. No issue with any of the machines. Some of the creative suite can be a little flakey, but none of the USB connected intuous 2 have any issues, nor external USB harddrives etc. No issues at all. Do you understand that some people are always going to experience issues, and most of these are caused by other software and hardware, rather than the OS, but somehow it's always the OS that gets the focus. WHen thinking "My battery powered mouse hasn't worked so well since the update", your first thought should be "have I checked the batteries recently" rather than screaming "this update broke my mouse".

Yes, there are minor issues which affect some people with certain software/hardware configurations and these are being addressed. That is not "beta" software, it is an inevitable part of OS development that it will constantly need refining and bugs addressed as they are found.

It is not possible to test every configuration, every software combination and every environmental factor - the testing process would last two to three centuries...
  • Reply 18 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by merlinw View Post

Facetime for mac will be a software update to iChat, possibly tied in with a small point release. This is not a major feature requiring "10.7".
  • Reply 19 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ouragan View Post

But, when will it come to "the rest of us" to paraphrase the Apple slogan in the 1984 SuperBowl TV Ad "Computers for the rest of us" (the Mac not being an IBM PC clone running Microsoft DOS operating system)?

When the testers give it a clean bill of health. That way it's considered safe to release. Although no matter how much testing Apple do, there will inevitably be some issues that have been missed and some people will scream that the software is "beta", "rushed" and "not fit for release" - the same people who scream day in and day out that Apple should hurry up and release the software more quickly...
  • Reply 20 of 50
    matt_smatt_s Posts: 300member
    Maybe they'll finally fix the Finder bug where you can't throw something away because it's "in use" - even when it's clearly not. Quitting an application just so you can empty the Trash is not the hallmark of an advanced OS.

I also wish they'd add a merging function to the Finder. Instead of replacing or overwriting items in a ?, it would be great to be able to merge folders without deleting anything.

This one isn't about 10.6.5: it would be nice to have a "private" function in iPhoto. Not "Hide" but an actual private folder.