Facebook executive expects to reach Ping deal with Apple

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
The chief technology officer of social networking site Facebook said he expects that his company will reach a deal with Apple to integrate with its own music-centric social networking service, Ping.

Bret Taylor said at a dinner with media in New York this week that he is "very confident" his company will find a way to work with Apple for Ping, according to Silicon Alley Insider. Previous reports had suggested that tensions were high between the two companies, which led some to conclude that talks may have stalled entirely.

Taylor's optimistic comments would imply that a deal will be reached, however the Facebook CTO did not provide a timeframe for a deal to be struck.

Earlier this month, it was alleged that Facebook and Apple were in talks for 18 months before the launch of Ping, but deals fell apart at the last minute. Industry insiders characterized Facebook as "abrasive" in its negotiations with other companies.

When Ping was launched with the debut of iTunes 10, Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs revealed that the iTunes-based service is not tied in to Facebook because, he said, the website demanded "onerous terms." He said that Apple and Facebook talked about a variety of partnership opportunities, but could not come to a deal.

After the talks apparently fell apart, Apple included a "Facebook Connect" login interface without a deal in place. Facebook then allegedly responded by blocking API access to Ping.

Apple has boasted that it registered more than a million users for Ping in its first 48 hours. The opt-in service is built in to the new iTunes 10, and can also be accessed from the iTunes application on the iPhone.

Earlier this week, the release of iTunes 10.0.1 brought about even greater integration with Ping, allowing users to access the new Ping sidebar, and "Like" or "Post" about music right from their library.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    I'm looking forward to this integration.

Alerting me to music my friends are listening to will help in the never ending hunt for new tunes.

I would like to see bands recommend music they listen to as well.

flick.
  • Reply 2 of 28
    I'm not a fan of Facebook so this deal is nothing special to me. I'd rather look in Ping for my friends music updates. If I'm looking in Facebook, I'm sure sampling the track or checking out the artist page won't be as easy as it is in iTunes.

But I know that I'm in a minority here. For some reason, the Facebook integration will make a lot of people happy.
  • Reply 3 of 28
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Some do, I've found a few things following Trent Reznor.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flick Justice View Post

I'm looking forward to this integration.

Alerting me to music my friends are listening to will help in the never ending hunt for new tunes.

I would like to see bands recommend music they listen to as well.

flick.

• Reply 4 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yensid98 View Post

I'm not a fan of Facebook so this deal is nothing special to me. I'd rather look in Ping for my friends music updates. If I'm looking in Facebook, I'm sure sampling the track or checking out the artist page won't be as easy as it is in iTunes.

But I know that I'm in a minority here. For some reason, the Facebook integration will make a lot of people happy.

I just plain hate Facebook, it's a service that encourages and feeds on narcissism like most social networking sites... which makes it a brilliant business, but a real time sinkhole.
  • Reply 5 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I just plain hate Facebook, it's a service that encourages and feeds on narcissism like most social networking sites... which makes it a brilliant business, but a real time sinkhole.

The rest of us will enjoy that sinkhole, as it gives us a reprieve from the boring-ness that is daily life.
  • Reply 6 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bartfat View Post

The rest of us will enjoy that sinkhole, as it gives us a reprieve from the boring-ness that is daily life.

Yes! Being mindful and actually experiencing the simple joys of human experience in our own lives is just too boring. If we can just stay a bit more in touch with the musical tastes of friends and celebrities, our lives will finally become more meaningful and bearable.
  • Reply 7 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Bret Taylor said at a dinner with media in New York this week that he is "very confident" his company will find a way to work with Apple for Ping, . . .

Imagine that a confident executive from Facebook. How surprising.

I wonder when people will start to figure out that Facebook is a leach of a spam platform and that the internet itself has been one big "social media" platform since its inception decades ago?

I wonder when the'lly figure out that the whole "social media" thing could all be a public utility where the users control their own information? Hmmm . . .
  • Reply 8 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Have you got a gaming console? TV? TV is the real time sinkhole, and gaming is just as bad. At least Facebook serves a useful purpose.

I don't watch TV, I don't play games (though currently I play StarCraft II once or twice a week). I do use Facebook, and I've found it an invaluable way to keep in touch with friends who live too far away or have no time to meet regularly in person.
  • Reply 9 of 28
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Have you got a gaming console? TV? TV is the real time sinkhole, and gaming is just as bad. At least Facebook serves a useful purpose..

Yeah, because clicking on cows and getting swamped with friend requests from people you stopped talking to for a reason is so productive.
  • Reply 10 of 28
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    That'd be great! It'd be the best of both worlds:

1. Apple has a great music service but a poor social user base.

2. Facebook has a great social user base but a poor music service (I don't really like iLike).
  • Reply 11 of 28
    blah64blah64 Posts: 993member
    The conversation here so far is hilarious.

Facebook is a huge phenomenon, that's for sure. It fills a strong perceived need for people to be in constant contact with others, whether they're "real" friends or not. And it helps people feel important, and "tuned in".

The problem is this folks: Facebook is not a benign entity. They do not exist to help you communicate with others. They exist to make a profit, and the way they do that is by extracting as much personal information from you as they possibly can. And as often as they can. And then by taking advantage of that information (and you, and your friends) as broadly and as deeply as they can. There is no reason for them to discontinue this behavior, since they are not regulated, and people are still fawning all over them and signing up like fleas at a dog show.

Just remember that NOTHING you post or upload is likely to remain out of view of the general public. Every time you turn around you're going to be fighting with Facebook's revolving privacy settings - which ALWAYS expand toward fully public. Look at this wonderful pie chart showing how the privacy settings have changed over time: http://mattmckeon.com/facebook-privacy/ And above all, know that EVERYTHING you post or upload is available forever to The Facebook Corporation. And they can do whatever they want with it.

On a (hopefully) more positive note, there is nothing wrong with the desire to communicate and share with your friends. And I expect that because of Facebook's somewhat evil mindset, something else will come along that will not be driven by the same type of profit-by-extracting-personal-information, and make-everything-public intent. The best solution(s) will probably be open source and/or distributed in nature, where each individual has full and complete control over who sees their information, with no private corporation serving as a central warehouse. One interesting project along these lines is Diaspora (http://www.joindiaspora.com), which is fresh out of the gate. No idea if this particular solution will be "the one", but at least some smart people are paying attention.
  • Reply 12 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

Yeah, because clicking on cows and getting swamped with friend requests from people you stopped talking to for a reason is so productive.

LOL, I don't play any FB games and they're easy to ignore completely or block so you don't get any requests at all. And really... "not talking" is so childish.

Meanwhile, there are many people we don't talk to not out of choice but out of convenience. That's where Facebook helps immensely.
  • Reply 13 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blah64 View Post

Just remember that NOTHING you post or upload is likely to remain out of view of the general public. Every time you turn around you're going to be fighting with Facebook's revolving privacy settings - which ALWAYS expand toward fully public. Look at this wonderful pie chart showing how the privacy settings have changed over time: http://mattmckeon.com/facebook-privacy/ And above all, know that EVERYTHING you post or upload is available forever to The Facebook Corporation. And they can do whatever they want with it.

Well, since I don't post my credit card number, my social security number or even my home address on Facebook, I don't really care. I'm not going to run for office. No one cares that much about ME that they'll collect any info on me that is going to be used for anything more than an innocuous marketing scheme.

I think the people who think they are so important that anyone cares about archiving their friends' photos or inane comments about their day or musical tastes are really the narcissistic ones.
  • Reply 14 of 28
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I'm sure Ping is small potatoes to them, I don't know why they're playing such hardball, as to not have had an agreement at launch. Perhaps they have learned not to underestimate Stev... errr.... Apple.
  • Reply 15 of 28
    blah64blah64 Posts: 993member
    Quote:

Well, since I don't post my credit card number, my social security number or even my home address on Facebook, I don't really care.

You only think you haven't posted your home address. ;-)

http://www.google.com/search?q=nyt+g...veal+more+wish

click the first link, the New York Times article.

Okay, maybe you don't post photos either, or you're smart enough and on the ball enough that you've already removed that info. Or you have an older camera (but that will change). But y'know, there are millions of people doing shit that they have no idea about.

Quote:

I'm not going to run for office. No one cares that much about ME that they'll collect any info on me that is going to be used for anything more than an innocuous marketing scheme.

I think the people who think they are so important that anyone cares about archiving their friends' photos or inane comments about their day or musical tastes are really the narcissistic ones.

Heh. I enjoyed the humor there, it's cute. And there is some truth to what you're saying.

But security through obscurity doesn't work very well for computers and it doesn't work very well for humans either. Not once the internet is full of massive (direct and inferred) data about nearly every person breathing. Just like bots can run through millions of servers testing every port for security holes, your data will eventually be ransacked by anyone and everyone with an agenda, whether you're important or not.

People are sort of hiding in their little worlds, thinking it's no big deal because they're so unimportant. And for lots of people that's probably true for now. But look ahead, look at the trend lines and extrapolate what's coming. Along the trajectory we're on, imagine what things will look like in a few years. No longer are you some obscure dude (or dudette) minding your own business, but you're a potential mark for pretty much anyone who wants to find someone to take advantage of. If your data fits their profile, your obscurity no longer matters. And there will be a thousand vectors, available to anyone. Might cost a few bucks, but even that will approach zero on a per-person basis because of the massive amounts of data available. Yes, this is sort of a depressing tinfoil-ish view, but seriously, few people are looking ahead and trying to understand where we're going to be 10 years from now. And those who are looking down that road and putting critical thought into it have serious concerns.

Here's another thing to consider. You might have no concerns about yourself, but what about your kids? think they might want to do something with their lives? or your family/friends? And people post millions of pictures of their kids online every day, giving potential predators valuable information. Why?! Sometimes it's for distant relatives, but that can be done more privately. Mostly it's narcissism.
  • Reply 16 of 28
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I have no interest in social networking like this but I can see Apple is doing a great job with the younger generations and that is all for the betterment of Apple's long term future. Those teeny boppers glued to FB will one day be business men and woman or graphic designers or video editors. They are the future so Apple is right to not only embrace but lead in those fields of great importance to the younger set. BTW I do realize many older folks love FB too so maybe it's just me that doesn't feel the need
  • Reply 17 of 28
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    Quote:

The problem is this folks: Facebook is not a benign entity.

Just remember that NOTHING you post or upload is likely to remain out of view of the general public. Look at this wonderful pie chart showing how the privacy settings have changed over time: http://mattmckeon.com/facebook-privacy/

any idiot who can clik on privacy settings can lock all of this down as much as they want.

Quote:

And above all, know that EVERYTHING you post or upload is available forever to The Facebook Corporation. And they can do whatever they want with it.

if you request it, they will permanently delete all of your information at any time.

...i did hear they're working on wifi mind control, but i'm sure you're wearing your tin foil cap to protect yourself.
  • Reply 18 of 28
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

any idiot who can clik on privacy settings can lock all of this down as much as they want.

if you request it, they will permanently delete all of your information at any time.

...i did hear they're working on wifi mind control, but i'm sure you're wearing your tin foil cap to protect yourself.

The delete part is good news (I assume the other is a joke ), I did read a while back something about anything you uploaded was theirs by right and you had so agreed in the TOS. So a) They no longer do this and b) They will delete everything?

I quit FB and accidentally rejoined many months later when trying to reply to a blog. It came up with all my pics and vids still there even though I had quit and had the account removed ... I thought. I assume even though I quit I need to go an extra step to have the data deleted? As an expert can you please explain how that's done. Thanks much.
  • Reply 19 of 28
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

can you please explain how that's done. Thanks much.

https://ssl.facebook.com/help/contac...delete_account

this will permanently delete your account and anything contained in your account. Facebook will not be able to use that info in the future.

what's important to know is that if you post something on someone's wall, or send someone an email via facebook, THEY KEEP that info, even if you delete your account. You would have to ask them to delete the post or message.

...before you get all up in arms about this, understand that it's the EXACT same as sending someone an email. just because you delete that email account doesn't mean your message to them is deleted.

you can also email [email protected] with more specific questions.

it may take a day or two, but they're very good about responding

for more info: http://blog.facebook.com/blog.php?post=54434097130
  • Reply 20 of 28
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    The problem I have with Ping is that I am not really interested in the marketing type of posts that bands/artists make. I get enough advertising in my daily life. I just want to know what music they recommend, other than their own. Maybe a FB integration will swing it more to the social aspect of the medium.