Hackers demonstrate 'jailbreak' exploit on new Apple TV

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
The same exploit hackers have used to run unauthorized software on iOS 4.1 for the iPhone and iPod touch also works with the new Apple TV, a new screenshot has proven.

When the iOS 4.1 firmware for Apple TV was released earlier this week, hackers said the "SHAtter" exploit would likely work on the new set top box. A new picture released Friday is the first evidence from the group of hackers known as the iPhone Dev Team that the exploit does in fact work.

However, as was stated in the released screenshot, the software is "not quite ready for prime time yet."

A member of the iPhone Dev Team who goes by the handle "MuscleNerd" posted the screenshot via his Twitter account on Friday. It shows a photo of a text entry screen on the device for Home Sharing with modifications made.

"MuscleNerd" indicated that he and his team are "not quite sure how to run apps yet," though. But the ultimate goal is to allow users to install their own third-party software on the device through the "jailbreak" process.

When the iPhone was first released in 2007 and Apple's official App Store for third-party software did not yet exist, hackers who would jailbreak the handset enabled developers to create their own unauthorized software for the device. Though the new Apple TV runs the iOS operating system, it does not have an App Store of its own like the iPhone or iPad.

The first Apple TV orders began arriving this week, and people have been prying away at the secrets contained within the tiny second-generation device. A disassembly of the hardware conducted this week found that the device has 8GB of storage and 256MB of RAM inside.

While hackers are interested in bringing iPhone and iPad features to the Apple TV, another person this week demonstrated the ability to export the "Lowtide" user interface on the new set top box to other iOS devices. Its rough compatibility accomplished with an iPod touch could be a sign that Apple plans to bring playback services to its iOS-powered mobile devices.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    This is great, it will allow functionality that Apple either won't or cannot allow. For us UK users I think we can look forward to iPlayer and Lovefilm.com access pretty soon as both these services run on all the other iOS devices just fine.
  • Reply 2 of 37
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Low Tide UI could be a great way to watch movies on the iPad, should get integrated into iTunes for iPad. Does anyone know when is SHAtter jailbreak for iPod touch 4G coming?

Edit: And will it really jailbreak for life?
  • Reply 3 of 37
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

the device has 8GB of storage and 256MB of RAM insider.

Sounds painful.
  • Reply 4 of 37
    Great. Now I can get one. And I can watch what I want and not spend a hundred bucks just to feed the iTunes store.
  • Reply 5 of 37
    All I need is to run VLC on it and stream movies that are stored on my shared drive . . . Then life will be grand!!
  • Reply 6 of 37
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Sounds painful.

• Reply 7 of 37
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by phasornc View Post

All I need is to run VLC on it and stream movies that are stored on my shared drive . . . Then life will be grand!!

There is a VLC app? Airvideo would be great too has it support most file format. But I prefer to convert to .m4v and then populate metadata with Identify so my own movies look exactly like the itunes store ones, complete with dvd covert and description.

imo this AppleTV is going to be the cheapest HTPC in the world. Enabling Safari would be great too. In fact, Apple should add safari in there, why not?
  • Reply 8 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Enabling Safari would be great too. In fact, Apple should add safari in there, why not?

Enable Safari with Flash support and watch Hulu for free. Probably ain't gonna happen.
  • Reply 9 of 37
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

Enable Safari with Flash support and watch Hulu for free. Probably ain't gonna happen.

Yep. but since its a A4 chip like the ipad I am gonna assumed there wont he any flash support even if they add safari. They dont want to enable Flash on mobile device, but the AppleTV is NOT mobile
  • Reply 10 of 37
    Just received my new new ATV yesterday and I was underwhelmed. The new features they have, appart from Netflix, were poorly integrated. For example, the movie reviews did not only allow about four reviews, but these reviews were truncated to show about three or four lines! I couldn't read any Podcast reviews. It's just way too generic and un-interesting.

It will be more interesting if I were:

- Able to "email" a YouTube video to friends, with the ability to pull an adress from a MobileMe account.

- Be able to recomend shows, movies, and podcasts to friends who have an iProduct.

- Be able to read FULL-reviews for Movies, TV Shows, and YouTube videos instead of only being restricted to the star-ratings.

- Be able to write a review and post star-ratings right from the iTV (Movies, TV Shows, Podcasts, and YouTube) using a bluetuth keyboard or the Remote app.

- External USB storage to extend the storage capacity of the iTV instead of using your PC's drive.

- Be able to buy a movie or show at a discounted rate after you've just rented it.

- Be able to share a movie (Purchased ones) with a friend who has an iProduct. Otherwise, the movie prices should be considerably less than their DVD counterparts.

- Add a custom category system to Podcasts, so you can categorize your Favorites.

- App Store would be great!!

- *I know this would be unlikely* A BlueRay/DVD player would be a big plus! And the ability to store those movies on the iTV thus becoming a jukebox.

- A better remote!
  • Reply 11 of 37
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Just received my new new ATV yesterday and I was underwhelmed. The new features they have, appart from Netflix, were poorly integrated. For example, the movie reviews did not only allow about four reviews, but these reviews were truncated to show about three or four lines! I couldn't read any Podcast reviews. It's just way too generic and un-interesting.

- Able to "email" a YouTube video to friends, with the ability to pull an adress from a MobileMe account.

- Be able to recomend shows, movies, and podcasts to friends who have an iProduct.

- Be able to read FULL-reviews for Movies, TV Shows, and YouTube videos instead of only being restricted to the star-ratings.

- Be able to write a review and post star-ratings right from the iTV (Movies, TV Shows, Podcasts, and YouTube) using a bluetuth keyboard or the Remote app.

- External USB storage to extend the storage capacity of the iTV instead of using your PC's drive.

- Be able to buy a movie or show at a discounted rate after you've just rented it.

- Be able to share a movie (Purchased ones) with a friend who has an iProduct. Otherwise, the movie prices should be considerably less than their DVD counterparts.

- Add a custom category system to Podcasts, so you can categorize your Favorites.

- *I know this would be unlikely* A BlueRay/DVD player would be a big plus! And the ability to store those movies on the iTV thus becoming a jukebox.

- A better remote!

It seems that a MacMini would fit your needs not an AppleTV. Don't expect a $99 device to do all of that without a keyboard and a pointing device.
  • Reply 12 of 37
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

It seems that a MacMini would fit your needs not an AppleTV. Don't expect a $99 device to do all of that without a keyboard and a pointing device.

He did have one good point though, I understand Apple dumping the hard drive to lower the price, but why not allow a USB hard drive to plug into the back for offline storage.

If they had done that they'd have pleased everyone, stupid damn decision on their part.
  • Reply 13 of 37
    Quote:

Yep. but since its a A4 chip like the ipad I am gonna assumed there wont he any flash support even if they add safari. They dont want to enable Flash on mobile device, but the AppleTV is NOT mobile

Yeah. Kinda blows a hole in Steve Job's arguments against Flash.
  • Reply 14 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

He did have one good point though, I understand Apple dumping the hard drive to lower the price, but why not allow a USB hard drive to plug into the back for offline storage.

If they had done that they'd have pleased everyone, stupid damn decision on their part.

Because with the new Apple TV you can stream from a computer, iPhone, iPad, or an iPod touch. Your average customer don't really want to bother moving and managing around files and having multiple copies of the same thing. If you want to do that then you are better off with a desktop computer (MacMini) attached to your TV.

Personally, I think what Apple needs now is to upgrade their Time Capsules to act like home media server.
  • Reply 15 of 37
    Quote:

Well, you can't enable Flash on iOS devices since there is no Flash for iOS. Maybe it will take Adobe another three years to develop it for Apple TV. And maybe the new Flash for AppleTV will be optimized for AppleTV remote like Adobe optimized Flash on Android for touch screens... oh wait!
  • Reply 16 of 37
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:

Great. Now I can get one. And I can watch what I want and not spend a hundred bucks just to feed the iTunes store.

You've never had to.
  • Reply 17 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

- A better remote!

Wow... not a single item on your wish list is anything I'm particularly interested in, particularly on a gen1 release.
  • Reply 18 of 37
    Quote:

Yeah... Apple SO doesn't know what they're doing.
  • Reply 19 of 37
    donlphidonlphi Posts: 214member
    Quote:

I think you can already do that with your AppleTV. You just store the movie in your iTunes Library. I have terabytes of DVDs stored in my iTunes Library. This is not something you need to Jailbreak for.

I do like the thought of adding some other apps to the store, but I don't know how that would work without a touch screen.
  • Reply 20 of 37
    Quote:

This is great, it will allow functionality that Apple either won't or cannot allow. For us UK users I think we can look forward to iPlayer and Lovefilm.com access pretty soon as both these services run on all the other iOS devices just fine.

So are you saying when your shiny new atv finally arrives your going to break it?

Have you had any confirmation of delivery yet? I got billed today but still haven't got mine. \ Next Monday apperently.