Facebook executive expects to reach Ping deal with Apple

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techno View Post

The problem I have with Ping is that I am not really interested in the marketing type of posts that bands/artists make. I get enough advertising in my daily life. I just want to know what music they recommend, other than their own. Maybe a FB integration will swing it more to the social aspect of the medium.

As one of the first Ping superusers, Rick Rubin (Def Jam founder and current Columbia VP) has consistently recommended great stuff.

And there are bands and other band members who really do recommend great music. The Fleet Foxes Facebook page has been a Godsend, and although the band's not on Ping yet (probably some record label hang-up), Robin Pecknold has a Ping page and has been recommending good stuff. Brian Molko is also someone I follow on Ping.

As mentioned before, Trent Reznor and the NIN Ping page have been helpful as well, even pointing fans to an awesome free download of Reznor tracks from the "The Social Network" movie.

If you want a particular band's recommendations, it's a good idea to search for the frontman on Ping.
  • Reply 22 of 28
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Well, since I don't post my credit card number, my social security number or even my home address on Facebook, I don't really care. I'm not going to run for office. No one cares that much about ME that they'll collect any info on me that is going to be used for anything more than an innocuous marketing scheme.

I think the people who think they are so important that anyone cares about archiving their friends' photos or inane comments about their day or musical tastes are really the narcissistic ones.

Well, there you go... Facebook is the final answer for people who have 'given up'.
  • Reply 23 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Well, there you go... Facebook is the final answer for people who have 'given up'.

Given up on being king of the world? Sure. No interest.

I'm very VERY happy with my life... and I'm happy I've gotten back into touch with friends from high school, my cousin who I never had the chance to get close with (not because I didn't want to, just because we lived in different places), and friends I really care about but don't have enough time to see on a regular basis.

For those of you who still aspire to "win" whatever game you think life is... all power to you. I'm too busy enjoying life to be bothered with juvenile competition.
  • Reply 24 of 28
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Well, since I don't post my credit card number, my social security number or even my home address on Facebook, I don't really care. I'm not going to run for office. No one cares that much about ME that they'll collect any info on me that is going to be used for anything more than an innocuous marketing scheme.

employers try to look at facebook when assessing potential job candidates. the pictures of you at your buddy's bachelor party posted on facebook might not help in getting that new job, nor the posts about how much some old co-worker sux...
  • Reply 25 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

employers try to look at facebook when assessing potential job candidates. the pictures of you at your buddy's bachelor party posted on facebook might not help in getting that new job, nor the posts about how much some old co-worker sux...

I'll keep that in mind.

Fortunately, I'm not looking for a job now.

And I ALWAYS keep personal work politics out of public commentary (with one exception).
  • Reply 26 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blah64 View Post

The conversation here so far is hilarious.

Facebook is a huge phenomenon, that's for sure. It fills a strong perceived need for people to be in constant contact with others, whether they're "real" friends or not. And it helps people feel important, and "tuned in".

Quote:

The problem is this folks: Facebook is not a benign entity.

The best solution(s) will probably be open source and/or distributed in nature, where each individual has full and complete control over who sees their information, with no private corporation serving as a central warehouse. One interesting project along these lines is Diaspora (http://www.joindiaspora.com), which is fresh out of the gate. No idea if this particular solution will be "the one", but at least some smart people are paying attention.

I agree. Zuckerberg is a punk-ass kid who thinks he's King of the World. Because of that, people need a viable alternative to Facebook. I'm planning on migrating to Diaspora as soon as they go live. I've asked them specific questions about privacy issues and how content is managed, and they've responded to me quickly and satisfactorily.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

any idiot who can clik on privacy settings can lock all of this down as much as they want.

if you request it, they will permanently delete all of your information at any time.

You're awfully trusting of a company that has been hit with countless criticisms of abusing users' privacy. And it's not about users being idiots or whatever. It's about a company not behaving in an ethical manner, i.e. honoring the trust of its users. I have my privacy settings set to "Friends only" on everything, and I also disabled search engine access, and I still found comments I made through a Google search. Granted, they're not legally obligated to be good corporate citizens, but they don't have to be evil either.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I quit FB and accidentally rejoined many months later when trying to reply to a blog. It came up with all my pics and vids still there even though I had quit and had the account removed ... I thought.

I'm inclined to think that even when they supposedly "delete" your account, they merely block your access to your account, while retaining all of your content. As far as you're concerned, your account has been deleted, but I'm sure they still have everything about you.

When you sign up w/ Facebook, you effectively give them control of your online social life.

Bringing this back to Ping, I'm sure that in the initial round of negotiations, the Facebook gang tried to bully Apple into making Ping and "opt-out" service, and to allow Facebook to have access to users' entire libraries. Honestly, I'm not sure why Apple wants any kind of deal with Facebook. I know I certainly need or even want them to form a partnership.

I've never harbored any illusions that Facebook is anything other than a large data mine, using the "social network" model to get users to disclose as much personal information (via wall posts, "Likes", etc.). As such, I've been very careful about what I post and to whom. But I shouldn't have to be paranoid. In a good social network, I would have complete control over who has access to my content?my content should be my own.
  • Reply 27 of 28
    I'd just as soon not bleed more personal information to Facebook.
  • Reply 28 of 28
    Google knows more about you than Facebook does.