NPD: Early iPad adopters more satisfied, active than recent buyers

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
The NPD Group revealed this week that customers who bought an iPad at launch are extremely satisfied with the device and use it quite often, but more recent purchasers are less active with their tablet.

Stephen Baker, vice president of industry analysis with NPD, revealed on the company's official blog that customer satisfaction with the iPad is very strong, but early adopters are more satisfied. The survey, conducted in August, found that 65 percent of customers who bought the iPad after launch said they are "very satisfied" with their purchase.

That's a decrease from the nearly 80 percent who said they were "very satisfied" with their purchase at launch. NPD separated the two groups by considering anyone who bought in the first two months of availability as an "early adopter."

The survey also found that early iPad adopters use the device for more than 18 hours per week, and for almost a third of users, that time is increasing.

"Clearly early adopters love their iPads and are finding increasing opportunities to use them," Baker wrote.

The most popular tasks are surfing the Internet, handling e-mail and playing games. Early adopters are also 44 percent more likely than more recent buyers to watch YouTube videos, 50 percent more likely to watch movies, 60 percent more likely to watch TV shows, and 38 percent more likely to read e-books.

As for complaints about the iPad, 51 percent said they were most dissatisfied about the lack of USB ports. Following that were lack of printing and multi-tasking, both of which will be resolved with the release of iOS 4.2 in November.

In addition, NPD said on Friday that it found 87 percent of iPad sales have been purchases in addition to a traditional computer, suggesting Apple's tablet is not "cannibalizing" the PC market.

The study found that an overwhelming majority of users purchased an iPad as an "incremental" device, rather than one intended to replace an existing computer. In fact, 24 percent said they planned to purchase an e-reader in addition to an iPad.

"Early adopters, like iPad owners, follow a traditional pattern of consumer behavior; they purchase products because they want them, not because they need them," Baker said. "However, as Apple increases iPad distribution and consumer interest peaks, the profile of an iPad owner is much more likely to mirror the overall tech population. When that does happen other tech products with similar usage profiles as the iPad, such as notebooks, netbooks, and e-readers will come under increased pressure from the iPad."

"Until then, however, most iPad sales are likely to be incremental additional technology devices in the home, rather than a one-for-one replacement of a planned purchase."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 115
    zindakozindako Posts: 468member
    I use my iPad everyday.
  • Reply 2 of 115
    takeotakeo Posts: 446member
    The USB thing is so stupid. What do people expect they'd to be able to plug into it if there was a USB port? Mouse? Printer? Scanner? Gamepad? Even if it had a USB port, 99% of the things you'd try to plug into it wouldn't work or make any sense.
  • Reply 3 of 115
    I think the study has validity in terms of the iPad purchase being an incremental purchase that doesn't displace some other purchase of a notebook or netbook.

In my case, for instance, we had no plans to buy another notebook or laptop. I have a 17" MBP, my wife and son have iMacs and my older son who is off at college has a 15" MBP.

Yet when the iPad came out, my older son and I went off to the Apple store stood in line ostensibly to just check it out. By the time we had played with on for about 10 minutes, we were sold and left the store with 1 iPad, which the boy claimed. After we had a chance to play with it for the weekend he was staying over, we decided to buy another since the one we had was headed off to college 50 miles away.

My younger (high school age) son and I use it every day, and thankfully the kid has homework, so I get to use it when he gets done.

My MBP now stays on the desk in my study ( I work out of the house) where it gets used throughout the workday.

However after work hours and on weekends, the MBP hardly gets touched except for the things that the iPad cannot do. The surprise is that there is precious little that I want with the iPad that it can't do.

I suspect that my family's experience is not unique.
  • Reply 4 of 115
    mj1970mj1970 Posts: 9,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

As for complaints about the iPad, 51 percent said they were most dissatisfied about the lack of USB ports.

I'm curious about this. It lends some credence to the rumors that Apple is considering adding a USB port to iPad 2. But I wonder, with regard to the complaining users, what do they want to do with that USB port?
  • Reply 5 of 115
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    It’s as though the people who saw the most applications for it in their life decided to buy it sooner! Weird.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

I'm curious about this. It lend some credence to the rumors that Apple is considering adding a USB port to iPad 2. But I wonder, with regard to the complaining users, what do they want to do with that USB port?

Survey design is complicated... maybe they were just picking from a list and had to choose something? The “iPad lacks USB” meme has huge traction in some circles, I’ve noticed. But exactly what is the iPad failing to do as a result, that SO many people (51%??) need to do? This, as you suggest, is a mysterious question...

Without USB people are still loading photos, using keyboards, printing, sharing files, making music, making paintings, writing letters, taking notes, running spreadsheets, playing games, communicating, managing their schedules, watching movies, listening to music, etc. etc.

I think the lack of USB ports is something almost nobody cares about much at all... but if they can’t find a flaw they care about a lot, then they have to answer with one they care about a little! Or think they should care about because some “smart techie” told them they should...

I wouldn’t mind being able to do wired printing, wired typing, and wired camera transfers without an accessory. I don’t have an iPad yet, but maybe the lack of USB would be my biggest want-list item too! Who knows. It doesn’t mean it’s a significant problem for me not to have it.
  • Reply 6 of 115
    Umm....shouldn't the article be corrected to say 4.2 in November and not 4.1?
  • Reply 7 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

The USB thing is so stupid. What do people expect they'd to be able to plug into it if there was a USB port? Mouse? Printer? Scanner? Gamepad? Even if it had a USB port, 99% of the things you'd try to plug into it wouldn't work or make any sense.

Printer, definitely

Game pad, certainly

MIDI controller

Control surfaces

High-end audio devices ( for recording)

Mass-storage devices.

Lest you claim that these devices wouldn't work without appropriate software, I would pointing that no one will write the software until the port exists.

BTW, I'd be perfectly happy with a dongle or cable solution, though having the port built in would encourage hardware and software developers.
  • Reply 8 of 115
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Thumb drives and memory card readers are probably what they want, but indirectly that means people actually want a file system to copy pictures and word files to. The card reader from Apple costs extra and is kind of a hassle. Emailing things to yourself from a real computer is a rather dumb way to move files as well. People are still used to copying files from a media to their hard drive which is a single step. The only approved Apple methods are a 3-5 step process. Just a little inconvenient.
  • Reply 9 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

Printer, definitely

Game pad, certainly

MIDI controller

Control surfaces

Mass-storage devices.

Lest you claim that these devices wouldn't work without appropriate software, I would pointing that no one will write the software until the port exists.

BTW, I'd be perfectly happy with a dongle or cable solution, though having the port built in would encourage hardware and software developers.

A dongle solution exists. All Apple would have to do is to open the port to developers.
  • Reply 10 of 115
    Quote:

Exactly. It's a solution without a problem.

I asked one person who demanded the iPad have a USB port what they needed it for:

"Well, it should just have one. All computers do!"

"But what would you plug into it?"

"I don't know, maybe my camera or something."

"They make an SD card adapter."

"Oh. Well, still, it should have a USB port. Or, what if I want to transfer files to it."

"Well, there are 21st solutions to that, some of which involve magically managing files on the iPad--get this--wirelessly! Check out Dropbox if you really need that functionality."

"Well, you're stupid."

"Oh, but I do need to let you know that they're releasing a Floppy Disk Attachment for the iPad sometime next month."

"Really?! Cool."
  • Reply 11 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

Printer, definitely

Game pad, certainly

MIDI controller

Control surfaces

Mass-storage devices.

Speaking of control surfaces, MOTU actually did an iPhone app for use with Digital Performer. I downloaded it and played with it while doing a demo. While it is really cool and works pretty well, I prefer my Mackie Control.
  • Reply 12 of 115
    That's because recent buyers, after reading Blackintosh and Newtron's posts realize how bad their devices are. They wish to thank them for making them understand how unhappy they are.
  • Reply 13 of 115
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

"Well, there are 21st solutions to that, some of which involve magically managing files on the iPad--get this--wirelessly! Check out Dropbox if you really need that functionality."

Sure that works, but not very efficiently.

Here is another hypothetical dialog:

"Hey, can you lend me 5 bucks for lunch?"

"Sure, no problem. What is your bank account #?"

"I'll call my bookkeeper and she can transfer the funds into your account."

"Then all you have to do is find an ATM and withdraw the cash"
  • Reply 14 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Thumb drives and memory card readers are probably what they want, but indirectly that means people actually want a file system to copy pictures and word files to. The card reader from Apple costs extra and is kind of a hassle. Emailing things to yourself from a real computer is a rather dumb way to move files as well. People are still used to copying files from a media to their hard drive which is a single step. The only approved Apple methods are a 3-5 step process. Just a little inconvenient.

Well said. Will AirPlay and iOS 4.2 remedy this? Will it go beyond sending audio and include file transfer?
  • Reply 15 of 115
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    I'm curious about the supposed 'lack of USB' issue.

Exactly what USB functionality is it that people think is missing?

And FWIW, the camera connection kit does provide USB connectivity, for whatever use that is.
  • Reply 16 of 115
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

I'm curious about this. It lends some credence to the rumors that Apple is considering adding a USB port to iPad 2. But I wonder, with regard to the complaining users, what do they want to do with that USB port?

Likely they were not thinking of what they wanted to connect.

They just needed to come up with something to answer the question "What are you most dissatisfied about it"?
  • Reply 17 of 115
    Quote:

It's typical thinking from those who evaluate purely from feature lists.
  • Reply 18 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by knwbuddy View Post

All of the above.

But mostly, a printer. Second most: A decent external drive. Maybe an external BD

Printer, not necessary with iOS 4.2

But seriously... external HD? Really? What part of 'portable' does that fit into? Laying on the couch with a iPad and hard drive cooking your lap?
  • Reply 19 of 115
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

I asked one person who demanded the iPad have a USB port what they needed it for:

"Oh, but I do need to let you know that they're releasing a Floppy Disk Attachment for the iPad sometime next month."

"Really?! Cool."

• Reply 19 of 115
    I lost interest in buying an iPad as soon as I got my iPhone 4. Look at the displays side by side.

Maybe if they 'Retinaize' the next generation.