Apple loses patent-infringement trial over Cover Flow, Time Machine

Comments

• Reply 21 of 130
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,336member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

These are pretty arrogant views, is all I can say.

Arrogant or not, I agree with their sentiments.

There are too many lawsuits over software patents. Heck, there are too many lawsuits in general. For that reason, it doesn't matter if the case is good or bad, frivolous or not, promoting "freedom and liberty to sue" or not. I just want to see less suing and less media coverage of that suing as a result.

The sad fact of the matter is, anyone can sue over a nutty software patent and win, just by bring the case to Texas state. It's ridiculous.
  • Reply 22 of 130
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Frankly, I think apple could drop CoverFlow completely and no one would notice.

I would!...

And besides, doesn't that diagram look like a feature of Windows 7?

Why weren't they sued?!
  • Reply 23 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

I would!...

And besides, doesn't that diagram look like a feature of Windows 7?

Why weren't they sued?!

i have win7 on my lenovo, i have not found any feature that does that, at least not on the ultimate edition.

I think that this is really pointless, Apple should really just try to buy it instead of appealing etc.
  • Reply 24 of 130
    He ain't doing it for the money?

Man kiss my a**!!

it's always about the money! you ain't heard?

OMFG!!!!!!

Patent troll like all the rest of them.
  • Reply 25 of 130
    Quote:

They say if you can't "do"... teach.

Being a professor in no way implies any special abilities or merit. In fact it's a deliberate career path to take yourself out of the world of competition for business and ideas. Those ivory towers are designed with excessive insulation.

So his idea of a 'lifestream' somehow covers an album cover flipbook? I think that's a bit of a stretch.
  • Reply 26 of 130
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oxygenhose View Post

Being a professor in no way implies any special abilities or merit.

Yeah, like that Professor Einstein fellow, he was a total retard. How about that imbecile Professor Hawking, eh?

If a guy is a professor in a place like Princeton, or Cambridge, or Yale --that guy is plenty smart no matter how many snide remarks you can come up with.
  • Reply 27 of 130
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

Yeah, like that Professor Einstein fellow, he was a total retard. How about that imbecile Professor Hawking, eh?

If a guy is a professor in a place like Princeton, or Cambridge, or Yale --that guy is plenty smart no matter how many snide remarks you can come up with.

oh dear, I think that you will find that Academics can be the worst infringers of intellectual property. They often 'borrow' the ideas of others to advance themselves. Its a serious cutthroat business. Morals have no place in academia. Glad you picked Albert Einstein as an example as he was also a thief/plagiarist.
  • Reply 28 of 130
    So why does he submitted the claim in a place where the outcome is favourable to him if he is confident he is still entitled to it then? Not so 'honest' himself does he?
  • Reply 29 of 130
    rybryb Posts: 56member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splash-reverse View Post

So why does he submitted the claim in a place where the outcome is favourable to him if he is confident he is still entitled to it then? Not so 'honest' himself does he?

According to the article, the suit was filed by the owners of the patent, Mirror Worlds. It says the professor is no longer the owner of the patent. Why are you and others going off on the professor? Maybe the story could have been written more clearly.
  • Reply 30 of 130
    pg4gpg4g Posts: 383member
    The question is: What intent did this professor have to actually implement this feature? If he had none, then he shouldn't have a patent, and he would be a "patent troll" - Whether or not it is a ligitimate person who's actually done research or not. If he had no plans to use it, he was sitting on the patent.

Its not fair to say "I claimed the idea first so you have to pay me if you have the same idea." Its only fair to say "I came up with this idea, and I have a right to bring it to market and monetise it.
  • Reply 31 of 130
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    It seems likely that Apple (and Mr. Coverflow) came up with these ideas independently. They?re really not the same thing, merely similar in some ways.

I can imagine the frustration that could be felt by someone who came up with something similar?I?d feel the same way! But these things happen?it doesn?t mean an intentional theft and cover-up! (Still, if he has legal rights because of his ideas, then I hope Apple will comply with the law.)
  • Reply 32 of 130
    drudru Posts: 43member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Apple acquired the coverflow tech from a guy who posts over at Ars-- can't remember his screen name off hand. The Ars guy had been selling (or maybe it was freeware?) a very popular coverflow-esque piece of software and when Apple released their implementation everyone at Ars was like "Wow, dude, did Apple just steal that from you or what?"

That would be Catfish. It was written in Cocoa and based on an idea someone had about flipping of physical albums to find one you want. Apple acquired the intellectual property and code.

Here's the Ars thread: http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtop...?f=19&t=313706

To be honest I'm shocked there is a patent from '99. This was a well researched topic during the 80s and early 90s in the Human Computer Interaction field, including at Apple.

Best to Apple in its appeal.
  • Reply 33 of 130
    drudru Posts: 43member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by galore View Post

Apple is famous for patenting the most trivial details so it serves them right to lose a patent suit against someone who invented technologies that Apple sells.

Have you looked at Apple's patent portfolio? Ever?
  • Reply 34 of 130
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Coverflow, the first time I saw it, reminded me of this device they used to advertise in the 70's where you'd load it up with LP's and you could flip through them, I can't remember what it was called, it was a long time ago.

As far as timescape goes a text based list will serve the same purpose as a series of screenshots.
  • Reply 35 of 130
    emulatoremulator Posts: 251member
    Quote:

Don't be surprised, they all come from users who think Apple invented GSM.
  • Reply 36 of 130
    ltmpltmp Posts: 204member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

My father was a very respected professor. Many of his colleagues are people I have immense respect for. Many of them are complete assholes. Some of them are idiots.
  • Reply 37 of 130
    Nobody read the article. The prof. NO LONGER owns the patent. He is NOT the one suing apple.
  • Reply 38 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Frankly, I think apple could drop CoverFlow completely and no one would notice.

I thought I was the only one who could see little value in Coverflow - I never use Coverflow preferring instead the list views as I find them faster and more efficient.

Each to their own I guess.
  • Reply 39 of 130
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markm49uk View Post

I thought I was the only one who could see little value in Coverflow - I never use Coverflow preferring instead the list views as I find them faster and more efficient.

Each to their own I guess.

CoverFlow is the least important of the items listed though. TimeMachine would be the top of the importance list IMHO. As others have said, the concept of time in filing seems to go far further than any examples cited, every OS out there is underpinned by this I would have thought.

On the specific claims in this trial I see an appeal coming unless Apple simply buy the rights.
  • Reply 40 of 130
    I never use CoverFlow, either, and don't know anyone who does. They could easily drop it, IMO, and few would notice.

Patents are an odd beast, at best.