Apple loses patent-infringement trial over Cover Flow, Time Machine

Comments

• Reply 81 of 130
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alansky View Post

Why isn't it illegal to file patent suits in this Kangaroo Court unless you actually live in Tyler County, Texas??? What a crock!!! There is so much corruption in the U.S. legal system that the whole country has grown accustomed to the stench of it!

Yep, there should at least be some law that says any court hearing a technology case should at least be in an area where they don't think the Earth is 6000 years old!
  • Reply 82 of 130
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Yep, there should at least be some law that says any court hearing a technology case should at least be in an area where they don't think the Earth is 6000 years old!

Awesome
  • Reply 83 of 130
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Awesome

And where they don't think Adam and Eve rode dinosaurs to church.
  • Reply 84 of 130
    Quote:

Awesome

OMG you quoted me in your sig! I am honored ... you sir are no old fogey!
  • Reply 85 of 130
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Wow.

The internetz is such a wonderful thing. It is simply amazing to behold its ability to enable folks like you to inhabit a world about which you know nothing!

I'm a professor. So maybe I do maybe I don't know much, but that would only prove my point! Ouch! You got yourself stuck on an unwinnable petard! -- The title doesn't let you know anything about a persons intelligence, I work with some smart folks and some amazingly din ones, all "professors".

I also have spent the years seeing what the graduate studies are really about. They are nothing short of a medieval guild apprenticeship which really only requires average intelligence and above average persistence to complete.

Now would you like to further show the "internetz" (sic) how to insert hear into arse some more?
  • Reply 86 of 130
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

You know I don’t care for politics or religion on tech sites, but I can’t resist when it comes to this classic pic. It cracks me every time I see it.
    Note: If this offends anyone or even looks like it’s going to start a debate about the age of the Earth I will take it down.
  • Reply 87 of 130
    Removed
  • Reply 88 of 130
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Headrush69 View Post

My god these patents sound awfully vague and obvious.

If iTunes Coverflow is a violation, clearing holding playing cards fanned in your hand is a pre-cursor to this. Is it really any different?

The patent system, at least for software, is hideously broken. It needs to be repaired before it destroys the entire industry.
  • Reply 89 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

I'm a professor. So maybe I do maybe I don't know much, but that would only prove my point! Ouch! You got yourself stuck on an unwinnable petard! -- The title doesn't let you know anything about a persons intelligence, I work with some smart folks and some amazingly din ones, all "professors".

I also have spent the years seeing what the graduate studies are really about. They are nothing short of a medieval guild apprenticeship which really only requires average intelligence and above average persistence to complete.

Now would you like to further show the "internetz" (sic) how to insert hear into arse some more?

How do you win a petard? Just curious.
  • Reply 90 of 130
    shobizshobiz Posts: 207member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Quote:

Awesome

Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Kind of immature if you ask me.
  • Reply 91 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

I'll bet you're not a professor at Yale.
  • Reply 92 of 130
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splash-reverse View Post

So why does he submitted the claim in a place where the outcome is favourable to him if he is confident he is still entitled to it then? Not so 'honest' himself does he?

If I was suing, honestly or not, I'd file in Eastern Texas. Wouldn't you?
  • Reply 93 of 130
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    http://www.yaledailynews.com/news/20...ing-invention/

http://answers.google.com/answers/th...id/603242.html

Mirror Worlds Technologies failed. The rights to the patent changed hands numerous times. Looks like it was time for them to cash in when Apple got involved.

Patent trolls: some of them even have degrees.

They had nothing to sell since 2004.

http://web.archive.org/web/200406070...scopeware.com/

The year their Scopeware product was taken off the market. Seems to have failed. They couldn't sell their product and Mirror Worlds Technologies disbanded in 2003.

There's barely any word of them, especially since 2004.

Good for Apple. Pay out the patent trolls and continue actually making use of the tech.

The original owner of the tech couldn't do anything meaningful with it. Dollars-to-donuts he was sitting on it until he could milk someone for it. His *new* company, Mirror Worlds LLC, resurfaced later and was incorporated in . . . surprise, surprise . . . Tyler, Texas. He was just waiting for the opportunity to cash in.
  • Reply 94 of 130
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

oh dear, I think that you will find that Academics can be the worst infringers of intellectual property. They often 'borrow' the ideas of others to advance themselves. Its a serious cutthroat business. Morals have no place in academia. Glad you picked Albert Einstein as an example as he was also a thief/plagiarist.

I think you'll find that Academia is structured to cross-pollinate ideas between research to advance fields of Science.

How much has Corporate America ripped off Academia? W/o Academia there is not technical innovation.

It cuts both ways.
  • Reply 95 of 130
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Just because Gelernter et al. no longer holds the patents involved--if you believe him, he's not under oath in the interview--it doesn't mean he won't profit from this lawsuit through a royalty mechanism or even as an expert witness.

If Gelernter wasn't interested in the money and had truly wanted to make the ideas "freely available as academics", he could have simply published the ideas without patenting.
  • Reply 96 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

If Gelernter wasn't interested in the money and had truly wanted to make the ideas "freely available as academics", he could have simply published the ideas without patenting.

'Publish' where?

It's probably not the kind of work that a high-level 'academic' (as opposed to practitioner-) journal would accept.
  • Reply 97 of 130
    Quote:

'Publish' where?

It's probably not the kind of work that a high-level 'academic' (as opposed to practitioner-) journal would accept.

Really, probably? How did you determine P > 0.5?

How about the student's thesis?

Gelernter could even have applied for a patent and given the technology away if a patent was actually awarded. If a patent wasn't awarded, his application would still be published by the US PTO and become included in prior art.
  • Reply 98 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Really, probably? How did you determine P > 0.5?

How about the student's thesis?

Gelernter could even have applied for a patent and given the technology away if a patent was actually awarded. If a patent wasn't awarded, his application would still be published by the US PTO and become included in prior art.

He should 'give the technology away' because he is an academic?

And, I have no idea what a 'student's thesis' or p > 0.5 have to do with anything. You completely lost me there.

Add: Something is not 'probable' only if (or because) p > 0.5.
  • Reply 99 of 130
    Quote:

He should 'give the technology away' because he is an academic?

I was just quoting from his own interview.

Quote:

And, I have no idea what a 'student's thesis' or p > 0.5 have to do with anything. You completely lost me there.

Add: Something is not 'probable' only if (or because) p > 0.5.

Ah, but you wrote "probably", which means something very different than probable.
  • Reply 100 of 130
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    This pic is 100% pure WIN.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism;

You know I don’t care for politics or religion on tech sites, but I can’t resist when it comes to this classic pic. It cracks me every time I see it.