PDF Encrypted Docs on iPad

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
I can read plain PDFs just fine with iBooks. But my university's textbooks (University of Phoenix) are mostly protected PDFs, i.e. from my Windows machine I must be logged onto Internet and must key in my ecampus page uname and pw into box on first page of doc, then they open up. This does not work on my iPad. I just tried buying PDFExpert but it doesn't work either. Any answers out there?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    When you log into your campus intranet with your PC, are you then downloading the PDF files, or just viewing them in a web browser?
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

When you log into your campus intranet with your PC, are you then downloading the PDF files, or just viewing them in a web browser?

Yes, I am downloading them to my PC, then pulling them into iTunes and drag/dropping them onto my iPad (iPad is my first venture into the Mac world so I may not be using the most efficient methods yet).
  • Reply 3 of 12
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    I don't know, but that's how I'd do it. So tell me what you mean by "doesn't work." Do the PDF files not show up in the iBooks bookshelf?
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Quote:

I don't know, but that's how I'd do it. So tell me what you mean by "doesn't work." Do the PDF files not show up in the iBooks bookshelf?

The PDF files do show up in iBooks. But when I open them, the first page is all white and all further pages are pitch black. All of the pages are there, but they are black. In Windows when you open the book PDF file, the first page is mostly white, but with a banner saying that it is a "PDF Protected Document" and then with a login box for uname and pw. I login with my ecampus login, and then the remaining pages are visible. It appears iPad cannot recognize that they are encrypted. When I try to use the PDF Expert program it at least says that it cannot work with an encrypted PDF.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by galdegal View Post

The PDF files do show up in iBooks. But when I open them, the first page is all white and all further pages are pitch black. All of the pages are there, but they are black. In Windows when you open the book PDF file, the first page is mostly white, but with a banner saying that it is a "PDF Protected Document" and then with a login box for uname and pw. I login with my ecampus login, and then the remaining pages are visible. It appears iPad cannot recognize that they are encrypted. When I try to use the PDF Expert program it at least says that it cannot work with an encrypted PDF.

This problem must be unique to the files you are loading, since the iPad does handle encrypted PDF files in the normal way in iBooks. I tested it myself just to make sure. One thing that puzzles me is your reference to a login or user name. Opening encrypted PDF files only requires a password.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Quote:

This problem must be unique to the files you are loading, since the iPad does handle encrypted PDF files in the normal way in iBooks. I tested it myself just to make sure. One thing that puzzles me is your reference to a login or user name. Opening encrypted PDF files only requires a password.

The University of Phoenix proteccted PDF textbooks require the University login to open up, both username and password. I found something about this problem with the UoPhx protected PDFs on discussions.apple.com, although the posts go back to April, before iBooks. But still unsolved. Google with "protected pdf iPad", 4th item down on my output. Thanks for your interest and assistance.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by galdegal View Post

The University of Phoenix proteccted PDF textbooks require the University login to open up, both username and password. I found something about this problem with the UoPhx protected PDFs on discussions.apple.com, although the posts go back to April, before iBooks. But still unsolved. Google with "protected pdf iPad", 4th item down on my output. Thanks for your interest and assistance.

I'm thinking it's not the PDF itself which requires the login, it's the web site where they are downloaded. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but a PDF itself has no provision for such a thing as a username. Maybe your best bet it to contact tech support at the university. You can't be the only person on campus trying to use an iPad to read textbooks.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:

I'm thinking it's not the PDF itself which requires the login, it's the web site where they are downloaded. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but a PDF itself has no provision for such a thing as a username. Maybe your best bet it to contact tech support at the university. You can't be the only person on campus trying to use an iPad to read textbooks.

Like maybe as soon as the next quarter! Seriously a University should not be putting up barriers to learning, which is what I see here. I don't know the specifics of what they are doing but it really doesn't matter, it is the fact that they are doing it that is the issue.

The best way to influence the University is to find another (real) educational institution to attend. Just don't leave though write the dean a letter explaining the issue in stark terms. Further down rate the University where ever you can. Make sure your fellow students do so also.

The other possibility is to simply decrypt the files. There ought to be a crack someplace on the net for these files. You would be completely justified in my non legal opinion. In effect this situation would be like the University selling you a book you could only read by first calling the University for permission. Frankly it sounds disgraceful.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Like maybe as soon as the next quarter! Seriously a University should not be putting up barriers to learning, which is what I see here. I don't know the specifics of what they are doing but it really doesn't matter, it is the fact that they are doing it that is the issue.

The best way to influence the University is to find another (real) educational institution to attend. Just don't leave though write the dean a letter explaining the issue in stark terms. Further down rate the University where ever you can. Make sure your fellow students do so also.

The other possibility is to simply decrypt the files. There ought to be a crack someplace on the net for these files. You would be completely justified in my non legal opinion. In effect this situation would be like the University selling you a book you could only read by first calling the University for permission. Frankly it sounds disgraceful.

What makes another institution "Real"? I assume that statement is meant to imply UOP is not "Real"! What makes one "Real" and another "Fake"?
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Sounds to me like some type of DRM. I just did a quick search online for this, and one person suggested an app called "txtr". Let us know if you try it and if it works or not!
  • Reply 11 of 12
    There is an app called PDF Reader Pro Edition for iPad that just released a new update with support for University of Phoenix PDF files, I'm using it right now and it works!!!!!!!!

this is the direct link:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pdf-r...364502063?mt=8
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by robert.k View Post

There is an app called PDF Reader Pro Edition for iPad that just released a new update with support for University of Phoenix PDF files, I'm using it right now and it works!!!!!!!!

this is the direct link:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pdf-r...364502063?mt=8

I have the same app and I cannot get any of my UOPHX pdfs to open. All I see is a white screen with eBook Collection on it. The rest of the pages are black. I downloaded the pdfs to my computer and uploaded them into the app via iTunes. I cannot get any of my current or older ones to work. What am I doing wrong?