Book listing claims Apple's iLife '11 will be 64-bit, iOS compatible

Comments

• Reply 81 of 144
    diddydiddy Posts: 282member
    More on this rumor from TUAW:

Quote:

The book is written by Uwe Nerger, who has no other published titles to his name. That brings up the question how an unpublished author has been given access to a suite of applications that many published authors of Apple tomes have not seen. Take this rumor with a fist-sized grain of salt.

I concur - how does an unknown author have such exclusive access to software no one else has (which would be coved under an NDA)?
  • Reply 82 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

BTW, how many of you will buy iLife ’11 from a DVD instead of simply buying the serial code online after installing the download? DVD media isn’t nearly as common as it used to be for computers. Most videos we consume are streamed, most apps we install are downloaded. It’s only a matter of time before the optical drive is removed from notebooks the way floppy drives and serial ports were.

I use to be really big about making sure I always had a hard copy on DVD even when I had a backup to and external drive. I would always buy on DVD instead of downloading but I have slowly moved away from both.

I would say optical drives are dying faster in the Apple world then they are elsewhere.

For the most part all gaming is still done off DVD, I think most Windows users still buy content rather then downloading it. Things like the PSP GO adn Wii online game buying never took off well.

So I would say content download is still not there yet other places but its moving forward faster with Apple because SJ has been wanting to move in that direction for several years. I remember him talking about that when he intro the first Alu iMac.

But I agree we are moving away from optical drives. It will be interesting to see when things like the Xbox and PS start to move to download only content.

However Blackintoch does have a good point with this comment and I do agree about eldery people not being ready for this.

"Go ahead and buy a HD camcorder, make a movie with iLife and now what are you supposed to do with it? Upload it to Mobile Me and share it with family that might not have broadband?

Hey Grandpa, download this movie this weekend while your out of town and it might be finished by Monday morning. This is assuming Grandpa HAS a computer in the first place.

DVD's are perfect for sharing with non tech people, the kind that don't visit this forum. Not everyone thinks like the community here, thank goodness."
  • Reply 83 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

There are different types of people on the earth, not everybody is a tech head. Only we are in the Apple Insider family of friends.

Get real. You have no friends here Blackintroll.
  • Reply 84 of 144
    Quote:

That would be interesting. I wonder if it will be $10 per app like with iWork.

10$ is quite affordable, although I believe they will settle just a 10-20% below that price. Since iWorks is comparatively a Pro application.
  • Reply 85 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Get real. You have no friends here Blackintroll.

Yes I do. I have YOU!
  • Reply 86 of 144
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

10$ is quite affordable, although I believe they will settle just a 10-20% below that price. Since iWorks is comparatively a Pro application.

Good point, and I?d think they might sell more in general so it could be warrant the price drop.

I?d think. So far there iWeb app is pretty anemic trying to be user friendly as desktop app, but if they can make iWeb an app you can code with drag and drop on a the iPad that would be something.

PS: It?s funny how the App Store has changed our perception of what an expensive program is. (Writing this while drinking my $5 coffee).
  • Reply 87 of 144
    doroteadorotea Posts: 323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

NO, your assumption was that by removing iDVD, DVD burning from the iLife suite would be dropped.

Lots of people don't burn DVDs - do some quick web research, DVD recorders completely failed to take off, people use TiVO/Sky +. Consumers don't like physical media, they like convenience. It takes a LONG time to burn a DVD in iDVD, most people simply upload to youtube or share digitally. I'm more excited by the new features of iLife than I am be the ongoing evolution of how we store and share media - DVDs will always have a place in the market, as will people who still use VCRs and even those who love vinyl. Niche markets are not an important component in a consumer pleasing suite of easy to use software.

Where are we going? We're moving to digital streaming media, the wireless networked home streaming content from all your digital devices to one an other, we're moving to 4096 displays and stunning HD, and we're moving away from £20 to buy a movie on blu-ray. Optical media, physical purchases will die as soon as the telecoms infrastructure can deal with it. At the least, we'll see media on ultra hight capacity SD cards as standard within the next two years.

You live in a different world than I do. In the U.S. We are a long long way from having excellent infrastructure for everyone. Digit steaming requires excellent infrastructure.

The picture you paint is a long way off for most.
  • Reply 88 of 144
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Whatever it contains I wish they would hurry up and release it. Hopefully it will come this month with a new range of laptops.
  • Reply 89 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dorotea View Post

I hate to say it, but I totally agree that non tech people need the DVD. Not everyone can use streaming.

Whenever I have to use Windows driven computers I indeed tend to use DVD's rather than download versions. Luckily this doesn't happen all to often. As for films I stopped buying them on DVD's by 99%. They take too much space, when kept in their packing, and without, they tend to loose their resell value. But anyway I don't understand the mentioning of DVD's being better for non tech folks???
  • Reply 90 of 144
    I thought iDVD is ditched long back.
  • Reply 91 of 144
    Quote:

. (Writing this while drinking my $5 coffee).

You must be joking!!! Is this some exclusive coffee club you spend your good dollars in? Back to topic. Absolutely, iWeb may very well mute to a highly interesting program once made touchable.
  • Reply 92 of 144
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    I may be slightly off topic here but since we are talking about DVD let me ask a question. I make a lot of training movies which I deliver in various ways one of which is on DVD. For organizations that receive federal funding, we are required to deliver the dvd with subtitles, which can be turned off if hearing disabled people are not in the audience. Likewise, we are often asked to make foreign language subtitles available for global organizations.

Subtitles are easily done on DVD since you have a menu. What exactly is the industry best practice for this kind of functionality when we no longer deliver videos by DVD (or Flash, which also handles subtitles quite well)? Do we end up making multiple full copies of the video with slightly different attributes?
  • Reply 93 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

I use to be really big about making sure I always had a hard copy on DVD even when I had a backup to and external drive. I would always buy on DVD instead of downloading but I have slowly moved away from both.

I would say optical drives are dying faster in the Apple world then they are elsewhere.

For the most part all gaming is still done off DVD, I think most Windows users still buy content rather then downloading it. Things like the PSP GO adn Wii online game buying never took off well.

So I would say content download is still not there yet other places but its moving forward faster with Apple because SJ has been wanting to move in that direction for several years. I remember him talking about that when he intro the first Alu iMac.

But I agree we are moving away from optical drives. It will be interesting to see when things like the Xbox and PS start to move to download only content.

However Blackintoch does have a good point with this comment and I do agree about eldery people not being ready for this.

"Go ahead and buy a HD camcorder, make a movie with iLife and now what are you supposed to do with it? Upload it to Mobile Me and share it with family that might not have broadband?

Hey Grandpa, download this movie this weekend while your out of town and it might be finished by Monday morning. This is assuming Grandpa HAS a computer in the first place.

DVD's are perfect for sharing with non tech people, the kind that don't visit this forum. Not everyone thinks like the community here, thank goodness."

If you look at any computer store?s DVD section it?s been dwindling year after year. The internet is just too pervasive, portable HDDs, flash drives, and even email/filesharing (for smaller files) is fast and efficient.

Take the optical drive in the 13? MB/MBP. It?s one of the smallest among fullsized notebooks yet it takes up ¼ of the internal chassis space. On top of that it?s slower to read/write than even a slow HDD and hella* slower than any NAND-based tech, it has moving parts which make it more prone to breaking, and it?s using up 5? of that port-side real estate.

I don?t think optical disc drives (ODDs) will be going away as swiftly as Apple did away with the floppy drive, but there is less and less reason to keep providing them in notebooks where space is so important. Apple can?t reduce the size of their machines until they can get rid of the ODD. The question isn?t if, but when.

Blackintosh?s points (as copied and pasted from dozens of other posters) clearly shows a fatalist, Chicken Little delusion and odd hatred of Apple while thinking what Apple does has to affect his usage patterns. Him and those like him ignore 3rd-party apps, 3rd-party drives, etc.; all the things normal people easily figure out and work around.

Also note that Apple will not support Blu-ray playback so it?s odd that people keep expecting Blu-ray drives to show up in Macs or that iDVD and DVD Pro to be updated when they?ve languished for so long and not even promoted with iLife ?09. iDVD got a small mention that it?s included, but that?s it! Apple?s own notebooks haven?t received a speed boost in their notebook ODDs for years now. Apple is done with forwarding the slow, power hungry, large and frequently unused ODDs. There is nothing to argue about, the writing is on the wall.

Again, this doesn?t mean DVDs can?t be used simply because Blackintosh says it?s all or nothing based on what Apple does as a company. Once Apple flips their internal switch others will follow but it will take time and there will always be options. Sony only stopped making floppy drives/discs this year and you can still find VHS tapes for sale. Actually, what you said about Grandpas and DVDs could have been said about Grandpas and VHS when DVD was gaining traction. If they can learn VHS, then learn DVD, then I think people can learn to stream from a media extender.

And most of these ?grandpas? have kids and grandkids. I use Dropbox for my family. I drop in a video I formatted using Handbrake or QuickTime, which is then added to iTunes automatically with then shows up on their HDTV via AppleTV. To my family it?s magic, to me it?s less than 60 seconds of actual effort on my part.

* South Park starts back up this week.
  • Reply 94 of 144
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:

Ditch iDVD and provide no Blu Ray support. Very forward thinking. I guess I'll just throw out my library of movies and my player because Apple says it's time.

you do love your hyperbole.

iDVD has nada to do with playing DVDs. ANd it was basically ditched in '09 where there were no updates from the '08 version. With good reason. Very few users at the ilife probably make DVDs. They are the ones that are more flickr, facebook, youtube. It's the Pro Suite folks that are making the DVDs on a regular basis.

And this little rant of yours is based on a rumor. For all we know, the facts are that yes iDVD will no longer be in the box, but it will be available as a download. Or maybe they are removing it as a separate app and incorporating it into iMovie/iphoto. Or perhaps iDVD isn't there because this mystery app is called something else but surprise all the iDVD functions are in it (along with other stuff)
  • Reply 95 of 144
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:

There is no way for you to know how many people burn DVD's. Unless you are going to do a door to door survey. Apple once assumed that FireWire camcorders should be destroyed and took the firewire port off of the MacBook. They put it back on when Apple realized they don't steer the camcorder market.

As far as digital streaming media, how much of the world (trying to be fair to you non Americans here) has broadband internet? How much of the world has wireless "n" networking in their homes? People are never ever ever going to toss out optical media for streaming that skips and stutters all through the movie. We'll get there one day, but not today.

Nope, firewire (which they created and introduced to home computers as a standard) was removed from lower end machines. Apple listened to their customers and put it back a year later - and still you criticise them? Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Sales of physical media are being decimated - or don't you (as a share holder with an interest in the IT market) follow the news and consumer trends? Digital media is the future - I know, you know and media companies know it.

Over 70% of internet users worldwide have broadband. Speaking locally, 80% of the UK is covered with BT and Virgin now rolling out fibre optic across the country. Also, the average broadband speed here is higher than in the US.

The world moves forward, some have to play catch up, or they become part of a minority who are left behind. It's not a reason to halt progress. With that attitude, we'd still be living in caves. My dad's movie collection is all in VHS - should computers have VHS drives attached to them? DVD is dying - take a walk around a branch of HMV, see the bargain basement of movies being sold off for less than £5 each in order to clear shelves.

Blu-Ray titles are still in the minority, the media is too expensive. With google tv, apple tv, hulu, netflix etc. etc. people are transitioning to digital viewing and purchase/rental. It's easy and stress free and people are lazy. Apple aren't leading this evolution, but they are a part of it.

You'd best not to be disappointed in 18 months - 2 years when optical drives begin their exodus from the computer eco-system.

Also, with buffering in place on systems such as the apple TV - what is going to splutter during playback? Some people don't have broadband and therefore we shouldn't let those who do enjoy a modern experience? What part of that statement drives market forces?
  • Reply 96 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by striker_kk View Post

I thought iDVD is ditched long back.

Yes and no. It hasn?t been updated and it hasn?t been promoted as part of iLife, but it?s been included in the SW package. I would assume that the next iLife update won?t even have it at all though it will still be available from Apple for a couple more years.
    Note the top row shows iDVD as the fifth and last app, but below they only showcase the 4 other iLIfe apps.
  • Reply 97 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I may be slightly off topic here but since we are talking about DVD let me ask a question. I make a lot of training movies which I deliver in various ways one of which is on DVD. For organizations that receive federal funding, we are required to deliver the dvd with subtitles, which can be turned off if hearing disabled people are not in the audience. Likewise, we are often asked to make foreign language subtitles available for global organizations.

Subtitles are easily done on DVD since you have a menu. What exactly is the industry best practice for this kind of functionality when we no longer deliver videos by DVD (or Flash, which also handles subtitles quite well)? Do we end up making multiple full copies of the video with slightly different attributes?

Nope, just export video files playable on computers which ship on SD cards.
  • Reply 98 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

Nope, firewire (which they created and introduced to home computers as a standard) was removed from lower end machines. Apple listened to their customers and put it back a year later - and still you criticise them?

Apple removed FireWire 400 from all machines. The MacBook never had FireWire 800 and it never got it. It only looks like Apple recanted on a fictional inclusion of FireWire because they split the 13? Mac notebook into a basic a Pro model, with the Pro model getting FireWire 800 (like all Pro Macs) and the MacBook still without FireWire.
  • Reply 99 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dorotea View Post

You live in a different world than I do. In the U.S. We are a long long way from having excellent infrastructure for everyone. Digit steaming requires excellent infrastructure.

The picture you paint is a long way off for most.

NOpe, digital streaming requires a downstream speed of around 1.5 megs, the bare minimum broadband a majority of web users experience. Also, I didn't suggest that "everyone" has broadband. Some people don't have the internet into their homes either. Is that a reason that development of new technologies and practices should be stalled?

Also - it's not "DVD or Streaming" - I'd much rather buy a movie on an SD card than a DVD - this is another alternative. This is a little like the "Flash or HTML5" discussion - one doesn't replace the other, they exist along side, each having their place. It's evolution, not revolution. But there is no reason to hold up progress. iDVD has no place in iLife, and I'd imagine that much simpler DVD burning features will be be built into iMovie.
  • Reply 100 of 144
    So... Will the 64-bit version of iWeb be going with a woodgrain background?