Apple begins selling iPad direct through Amazon, Target

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Just as the iPad went on sale at U.S. retailer Target, the device is also now available at the standard price for purchase direct through online storefront Amazon.com -- no longer just through the site's third-party resellers.

Customers can now buy the iPad through Amazon, though only the 32GB and 64GB Wi-Fi models are available. Both are offered at the same price as they are through Apple: $599 for 32GB, and $699 for 64GB.

The other four models are not yet sold by Amazon, but as before, third-party resellers have made Apple's touchscreen tablet available with a premium markup. For example, the 16GB Wi-Fi-only model sells for a lowest new price of $556.72 with another $8.18 for shipping, an increase from the regular entry-level $499 asking price.

But the iPad models now sold through Amazon are available without local tax for many customers. In addition, those who have Amazon Prime are eligible for free shipping.

The expansion of the iPad to Amazon's warehouses is yet another step in the retail growth of the device. On Sunday, U.S. retailer Target began selling the iPad right on schedule, as the company announced it would in September.

In addition, a week before, the iPad became available for sale at all Best Buy stores in the U.S., expanding to 1,093 retail locations. Previously, the iPad was limited to 673 Best Buy Stores with Apple Shop locations.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    peleaspeleas Posts: 18member
    Just in time for the holiday shopping season.
  • Reply 2 of 28
    applappl Posts: 348member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Just as the iPad went on sale at U.S. retailer Target, the device is also now available at the standard price for purchase direct through online storefront Amazon.com -- no longer just through the site's third-party resellers.

That is very good news. Target is a big retailer, and is likely to sell lots of Apple product.
  • Reply 3 of 28
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by appl View Post

That is very good news. Target is a big retailer, and is likely to sell lots of Apple product.

Agreed. It also bodes well for the expansion if iOS based products that may come down the pipeline in the future. No learning curve, zero support and sell like hot cakes.
  • Reply 4 of 28
    This sucks for the apple reseller when target and amazon are starting to distribute i pads now. The Apple Reseller should only sell Apple Products.Who knows maybe target will start selling MBPros and i macs eventually? I hope not.
  • Reply 5 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gerald apple View Post

This sucks for the apple reseller when target and amazon are starting to distribute i pads now. The Apple Reseller should only sell Apple Products.Who knows maybe target will start selling MBPros and i macs eventually? I hope not.

Why would you hope not? Seems to me that the more places Apple products are available, the better. People like me who live 40 miles from a major city (or Apple Store) certainly appreciate being able to purchase Apple products in various locations.
  • Reply 6 of 28
    MicroCenter started selling the iPad over 3 weeks ago.
  • Reply 7 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by roehlstation View Post

MicroCenter started selling the iPad over 3 weeks ago.

I purchased a Mac mini and a Macbook at the Columbus MicroCenter on Bethel and it was the best buying experience I ever had - even better than the Apple Stores.

One of my favorite retailers.
  • Reply 8 of 28
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:

iOS products are totally different. They are as easy to use than a calculator, in fact, easier than a scientific one LOL. As such they could be sold by anyone, heck even a vending machine at an airport. Why would a dealer want to wast time demonstrating a product like that when he can be selling a MBPro or MacPro where there is a ton of added value potential?
  • Reply 9 of 28
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:

No.

More points of distribution is better for consumer electronics. Go where your customers are. Levi Strauss almost failed because they refused to sell their jeans at Walmart. Classic business school case study.
  • Reply 10 of 28
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Be aware of Target's restocking fees for electronics. Know before you buy.
  • Reply 11 of 28
    vexorgvexorg Posts: 69member
    Quote:

I see nothing surprising that Target is selling iPads. They've sold iPods forever. It just means that Apple is able to meet demand, now it makes sense for the stores like Target to carry product. I doubt that they'll be selling the iMacs, Macbooks etc.
  • Reply 12 of 28
    Argos in the UK sell them too
  • Reply 13 of 28
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

The armchair marketing geniuses have been screaming for years for Apple to go mainstream mass market. Well here it is in spades. Personally I think it dilutes the brand. Next thing you know Apple will go the Microsoft "good enough" route to compete with the also rans and then there goes the margins.
  • Reply 14 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

The armchair marketing geniuses have been screaming for years for Apple to go mainstream mass market. Well here it is in spades. Personally I think it dilutes the brand. Next thing you know Apple will go the Microsoft "good enough" route to compete with the also rans and then there goes the margins.

They might be everywhere now, but the pricing keeps it from getting diluted.
  • Reply 15 of 28
    I would have preferred that they sell directly through Target. Adverbs are good.
  • Reply 16 of 28
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

The Apple Reseller should only sell Apple Products.

What is "the Apple Reseller"?

Even Apple Retail stores do not sell only Apple products. I doubt very much any resller could get by selling only Apple products as users would need to go elsewhere to get printers, external drives, software and various other non-Apple accessories, so it would be simpler to find a reseller who also sells computers in addition to these other products.
  • Reply 17 of 28
    Apple is starting to dump these everywhere now. If I was to buy an iPad, I would go the Amazon route and save me 8.75% sales tax.

It seems obvious to me that Apple is going to release a new model right after the holiday shopping season.... leaving those who just received a shiny new iPad for Christmas longing for the new version.
  • Reply 18 of 28
    It's quite remarkable that Apple turned the whole stock deficit situation into a case where it's both expanding to new markets and increasing presence in existing markets.
  • Reply 19 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Masteric View Post

Apple is starting to dump these everywhere now. If I was to buy an iPad, I would go the Amazon route and save me 8.75% sales tax.

It seems obvious to me that Apple is going to release a new model right after the holiday shopping season.... leaving those who just received a shiny new iPad for Christmas longing for the new version.

That longing factor has been something only Apple manages to create.
  • Reply 20 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Peleas View Post

Just in time for the holiday shopping season.

Yes. And a new iPad after Holiday season.