Apple's iPad proclaimed to have fastest adoption rate ever

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
One Wall Street analyst has noted that the iPad has outsold the debuts of other popular electronic devices, including the original iPhone and the DVD player.

Of course, initial sales of the iPad already well exceeded both the iPhone and DVD player months ago. Apple already revealed in July that it sold 3.27 million iPads in its first three months of availability, though the company has not updated sales figures since.

But Colin McGranahan, retail analyst with Bernstein Research, put the numbers in perspective by comparing them to the iPhone, which took 74 days to sell its first million -- a fact highlighted by Apple itself this year, when the iPad reached a million in just 28 days. He also mentioned the launch of the DVD player in 1997, when 350,000 units were sold.

McGranahan has arrived at the conclusion that the iPad is the fastest selling non-phone electronic product ever, and is on pace to pass game consoles and basic cell phones to become the fourth-largest consumer product category in the U.S. next year. He sees iPad sales of more than $9 billion in 2011, leaving it only smaller than the markets for TVs, smartphones and notebook computers.

The analyst sees Apple selling another 4.5 million iPads in the just-concluded fourth quarter of the company's fiscal year 2010. Apple will reveal actual sales in its quarterly earnings report, set for Monday, Oct. 18, at 5 p.m. Eastern, 2 p.m. Pacific.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 63
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The analyst sees Apple selling another 4.5 million iPads in the just-concluded fourth quarter of the company's fiscal year 2010. Apple will reveal actual sales in its quarterly earnings report, set for Monday, Oct. 18, at 5 p.m. Eastern, 2 p.m. Pacific.

Mates July-Sep 2010 quarter is minimum 6 million iPads sold. Minimum. It could be up to 9 million if we're modelling between 2-3 million iPads a month which should be what they are producing by now. If they haven't been making at least 2 million iPads a month the past few months, something would have to be VERY VERY wrong at Apple.

Remember as well the global rollout of iPad has NOT EVEN BEGUN. Only very few selected countries carry it.

AND 1st POST W00T
  • Reply 2 of 63
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Mates July-Sep 2010 quarter is minimum 6 million iPads sold. Minimum. It could be up to 9 million if we're modelling between 2-3 million iPads a month which should be what they are producing by now. If they haven't been making at least 2 million iPads a month the past few months, something would have to be VERY VERY wrong at Apple.

Remember as well the global rollout of iPad has NOT EVEN BEGUN. Only very few selected countries carry it.

AND 1st POST W00T

And imagine if we were living in a decent economy. Most countries, including the U.S., are still effectively in a recession, even if the U.S. recession was officially declared "over". Consumer confidence is still very low.
  • Reply 3 of 63
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    People criticise the device - it doesn't do x, y or z - it doesn't have a, b or c port/feature/plug-in.

This should be a big lesson for people that Apple understand what the CONSUMER wants, not what the tech community want. Analysts, pundits and 'experts' have done the fastest possible u-turn within a year. We've gone from 'it's an oversize iPod with no place in the market' to 'it'll sell around 30 million in the first 18 months'.

All the so-called experts need to admit that they got this one wrong, just as their predictions at the launch of the iMac, iPod and iPhone were wrong.

Some people never learn.
  • Reply 4 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

And imagine if we were living in a decent economy. Most countries, including the U.S., are still effectively in a recession, even if the U.S. recession was officially declared "over". Consumer confidence is still very low.

Yeah... The sentiment in the US and Europe, the core areas where the iPad has been released, is pretty grim. And yet Apple is doing so well in the US and Europe!
  • Reply 5 of 63
    doroteadorotea Posts: 323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

People criticise the device - it doesn't do x, y or z - it doesn't have a, b or c port/feature/plug-in.

This should be a big lesson for people that Apple understand what the CONSUMER wants, not what the tech community want. Analysts, pundits and 'experts' have done the fastest possible u-turn within a year. We've gone from 'it's an oversize iPod with no place in the market' to 'it'll sell around 30 million in the first 18 months'.

All the so-called experts need to admit that they got this one wrong, just as their predictions at the launch of the iMac, iPod and iPhone were wrong.

Some people never learn.

I didn't love my iPad the first week I had it.... But it is now indispensable to me. If I broke it, it would-be replaced that day. Or the next at the latest.
  • Reply 6 of 63
    But.... but...... it's just a large iPod Touch!?
  • Reply 7 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

And for every 3 iPods they now sell 2+ iPads.

Pretty amazing, isn't it.
  • Reply 8 of 63
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dorotea View Post

I didn't love my iPad the first week I had it.... But it is now indispensable to me. If I broke it, it would-be replaced that day. Or the next at the latest.

Neither did I. I am still not taken with my new one but I am enjoying it more as there are more apps for it and I?m enjoying the features of iOS 4.2.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

But.... but...? it doesn?t have Flash.

But.... but...? it doesn?t have full desktop OS.

But.... but...? it doesn?t have multiple USB ports, HDMI, VGA or component out.

But.... but...? it costs twice as much a netbook.
  • Reply 9 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

AND 1st POST W00T

Well, the rollout has begun in the larger countries where sales would be higher. It's ridculous to assume, as the author of this article has, that ANY product continues selling at the same pace as it does during its initial sales period. First of all, the advertising and hype surrounding a product is most powerful during its initial release. To think Apple is continuing at the same pace with the iPad is ridiculous. If Apple sold 3.5 million pads in the first three months (AND APPLE HAS BEEN DRAGGING ITS FEET RELEASING THE LATEST SALES FIGURES, I WONDER WHY?) I think you can expect to see about 1.75 million more sold when the release the latest figures on Oct 18. And sales will dwindle from there. I don't know where these "analysts" get there figures from. "Um, well, they sold 2 million the first month. so that means 24 million a year!" Get real folks. On a personal note, I've only seen 1 pad out in the real world in the last four months, and thats coming from a habitue of coffee shops!
  • Reply 10 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dorotea View Post

I just bought my first iBookstore book for $2.99 (Mark Errett - Tips and Tricks: iPhone Secrets) and I have the sample for Portable Genius - iPhone 4 ...Not bad, them newfangled delivery system. One thing is for sure, how the heck do you read this on a Kindle or Nook? I need proper text, headings, type and full colour PICTURES.

Throw in Zinio (which is not that bad to me, for casual browsing, haven't bought anything until they sort out selling discounted per-issue magazines not subscriptions of something I won't even know if I'm going to read two months from now)...

And overall that's just the e-reader functions of the iPad.
  • Reply 11 of 63
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

Right, and this rate of sales is more indication that portable computing will BE the new economy. All that ia lacking is the realization that we have moved beyond the wired, center-to-margin economy, and into the wireless, everyone-to-everywhere economy.

Confidence? How about enthusiasm? It's why the Apple story is the biggest story out there: it's *good* news, for a change.
  • Reply 12 of 63
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chengito View Post

Well, the rollout has begun in the larger countries where sales would be higher. It's ridculous to assume, as the author of this article has, that ANY product continues selling at the same pace as it does during its initial sales period. First of all, the advertising and hype surrounding a product is most powerful during its initial release. To think Apple is continuing at the same pace with the iPad is ridiculous. If Apple sold 3.5 million pads in the first three months (AND APPLE HAS BEEN DRAGGING ITS FEET RELEASING THE LATEST SALES FIGURES, I WONDER WHY?) I think you can expect to see about 1.75 million more sold when the release the latest figures on Oct 18. And sales will dwindle from there. I don't know where these "analysts" get there figures from. "Um, well, they sold 2 million the first month. so that means 24 million a year!" Get real folks. On a personal note, I've only seen 1 pad out in the real world in the last four months, and thats coming from a habitue of coffee shops!

Prepare yourself to be humiliated.
  • Reply 13 of 63
    ....I predicted these very results back in February 3rd, 2010.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...00#post1565500

In case you don't click on the reference link, here is the post:

WHY the iPad will be a HUGE SUCCESS and will truly change the way people use "mobile" computers.

So many pundits, bloggers and ANALysts are really missing the elephant in the room.

"Oh, it's just a big iPod Touch".

"No one really needs this".

"The market segment is not defined" .blah blah blah

It's 100% the Operating System and the User Interface.

Complete computer illiterate's will be able to pick one up and just use it.

The iPhone and iPod installed base is just a small piece of the market.

And when the Apps, specific to this platform take off, millions will be sold.

Wait till you see the New Apple iPad commercials, showing off Apps.

Fast forward to Jan 2012

If Windows and Linux do not begin a complete re-write, from the ground-up, of what a "native touch operating system" IS (ex. iPhone OS), Apple will have a five year head-start on All other operating systems (as it pertains to "a true, intuitive, mature, simple, yet Powerful touch UI). I am no genius but I'll bet my house that what you see in this video will NEVER EVER succeed "touch-wise"....EVER!! (http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/01/e...t-strictly-me/)

Android looks like it might be the only remaining competitor to Apple, OS-wise, but which company is even setup to deliver the the complete product?
  • Reply 14 of 63
    tnsftnsf Posts: 203member
    Quote:

McGranahan has arrived at the conclusion that the iPad is the fastest selling non-phone electronic product ever, and is on pace to pass game consoles and basic cell phones to become the fourth-largest consumer product category in the U.S. next year. He sees iPad sales of more than $9 billion in 2011, leaving it only smaller than the markets for TVs, smartphones and notebook computers.

I'm telling y'all, Apple is going to make a play for that tv market.
  • Reply 15 of 63
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:

Why do these one post idiot show up... and I only highlight one fact which shows they have no clue

Do you have to wonder why, there are rules around what Apple can and can not release as part of a public disclosure during a period leading up to quarter end. This could be seen as an attempt to manipulated the stock in the company. Plus Apples does not need to do this we have enough idiot analysis attempting to do that on daily basis.

You better go short apple stock because of your prediction of eminent doom
  • Reply 16 of 63
    Quote:

This is where I propose you are 100% wrong.

The latest figures indicate 50% of Apple's revenue comes from outside the US.

Therefore, we need a global perspective.

Your first assumption of a slowdown is within a defined market, where you mention essentially a saturation effect. However, in the global market, the iPad has barely put its feet in the water. "Larger countries where sales would be higher" is debatable since smaller countries will add up to a large volume of sales, which is how the iPhone 3GS did so well and how the iPhone 4 is storming the charts and is so totally sold out globally.

There are also some relatively small (though high GDP) countries in the list, as bolded: Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Spain, Switzerland and the United Kingdom, then Austria, Belgium, Hong Kong, Ireland, Luxembourg, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand and Singapore. China has limited official unit availability and only 4 official Apple Stores, just opened.

Your second assumption is also incorrect, I think. You are postulating that whatever initial production was the most they would want to make. But if they are making more, say about 3 million per month, and the demand is there, then of course it is possible to sell more in Jul-Sep 2010 than in Apr-Jun 2010.

Apple has been "dragging its feet" because it's going to drop the BOMB on how well iPad has been doing and how the heck it is going to actually be released in the rest of the world.
  • Reply 17 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Prepare yourself to be humiliated.

The date of chengito's humiliation has been set for Monday October 18.

See you after the conference call, assuming I don't stub my toe on one of these large sacks of money strewn about the place.

• Reply 18 of 63
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BuffyzDead View Post

....I predicted these very results back in February 3rd, 2010.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...00#post1565500

In case you don't click on the reference link, here is the post:

WHY the iPad will be a HUGE SUCCESS and will truly change the way people use "mobile" computers.

So many pundits, bloggers and ANALysts are really missing the elephant in the room.

"Oh, it's just a big iPod Touch".

"No one really needs this".

"The market segment is not defined" .blah blah blah

It's 100% the Operating System and the User Interface.

Complete computer illiterate's will be able to pick one up and just use it.

The iPhone and iPod installed base is just a small piece of the market.

And when the Apps, specific to this platform take off, millions will be sold.

Wait till you see the New Apple iPad commercials, showing off Apps.

Fast forward to Jan 2012

If Windows and Linux do not begin a complete re-write, from the ground-up, of what a "native touch operating system" IS (ex. iPhone OS), Apple will have a five year head-start on All other operating systems (as it pertains to "a true, intuitive, mature, simple, yet Powerful touch UI). I am no genius but I'll bet my house that what you see in this video will NEVER EVER succeed "touch-wise"....EVER!! (http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/01/e...t-strictly-me/)

Android looks like it might be the only remaining competitor to Apple, OS-wise, but which company is even setup to deliver the the complete product?

I have to agree, Steve made numerous comments about how table computers are not going change how people use computers. There has to be a completely different way people interact with content and their information and he made these statements prior to the iPad intro. Again too many people are missing the bigger picture is that Apples deliver and overall user experience they do not just sell device or hardware or software or even content, they are selling people the experience. It like going to Disney World, it not a hotel or theme part or restaurant it and adventure or experience to the kids, why do people keep going back because the experience is pleasant and it the same thing you get with Apple.

No other company today can provide the experience. They can provide hardward, or software or content but not in a single experience. Yes other companies will continue to successful because they do it cheaper or a little differently, but those people would probably never buy Apple in the first place.
  • Reply 19 of 63
    Well I'm actually happy for Apple. They've accomplished to make a tablet computer popular to the average user. Hell, I've been toting my Motion Tablet around for years and the only reaction I got was a strange look and questions about what I'm using. Now, I just get asked if my six year old tablet is an ipad.

If Apple adds mouse support anytime soon, I could see these devices replacing laptops, or at least netbooks. It's portable, minimal, and performs its limited functions well. While it may not be a techies wet dream with bells and whistles, it fits nicely with the other 95% of the US population that's not very tech oriented (relative to our culture, not internationally). For those who want a device that does everything in a portable, touch screen form factor, then take a look at the $2500 Motion tablets.

That's not to say others won't follow in Apple's footsteps in an attempt to recreate Apple's success, and these devices will be more suitable for the major geeks, but for the average consumer, I'm still recommending the iPad instead of laptops. Who needs a full blown Windows, Mac OS X, or Linux when all they want to do is check email, show off some photos, surf the web, play simplistic games, and maybe create a few simple Word docs and maybe a spreadsheet or two. If we throw in mouse support then we can have greater precision. I'm hoping that Apple's recent patent applications for convertable OS based on screen orientation is a development for an iPad base station and not turning imacs into giant touchscreens.
  • Reply 20 of 63
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

Some people never learn.

Your post is so spot-on the money that it bears repeating. The "tech-spec weenie" crowd is so balled up in ports, mHz, Megabytes, "open source" that they can't see reality in the consumer mindset. And when a product like the iPod, iPhone, iPad suceeds they simply label the buyers ignorant lemmings.