Supplier denies involvement in Apple's alleged touchscreen iMac

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
A component supplier claimed last week to be involved in a supposed forthcoming touchscreen iMac from Apple has denied reports linking it to the rumored desktop.

According to DigiTimes, a spokesman for Sintek Photronics specifically denied that his company is sampling capacitive touch panels for an alleged touchscreen iMac. The same Taiwanese industry publication was the source of the rumor, which surfaced last week.

The report originally claimed that Sintek sent samples of capacitive touch panels to Apple for a new touchscreen all-in-one desktop computer. It was said the supposed device will have screen sizes of 20 inches and greater.

Though DigiTimes on Tuesday reported the official comment from Sintek, it did not retract its belief that Apple is working on a new touch-enabled iMac. The site has perpetuated that rumor since early 2010.

It was in January that it was claimed a 22-inch touchscreen iMac would launch this year. However, the original report involving Sintek claimed Apple was still testing components, suggesting a product launch was not imminent.

One noteworthy patent application discovered this year shows a touch-capable iMac-style desktop computer that could operate in a traditional format, but with a hinge on the back that would allow it to be tilted for easier access for a user's fingertips.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

One noteworthy patent application discovered this year shows a touch-capable iMac-style desktop computer that could operate in a traditional format, but with a hinge on the back that would allow it to be tilted for easier access for a user's fingertips.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. It seems a little too gimmicky for Apple. I can't help but think that it would have to run some modified version of either iOS or OSX because OSX in its entirety, like any desktop OS, could get screwed up very easily by trying to implement touch controls. I would much rather have alternative inputs with a screen that big (assuming 21"+) like something akin to the Magic Trackpad, as I am not so huge a fan of touchscreens like HP's Touchsmart.

~Cheers
  • Reply 2 of 10
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by UltimateFlank View Post

I'm not sure how I feel about this. It seems a little too gimmicky for Apple.

I wouldn't look too much into this. A company like Apple probably tests hundreds of designs a year, only a few actually reaching market.

You don't innovate by dabbling with a few conservative designs. You experiment with things that you know will never be released due to price, complexity, fragility, style, whatever. Even geniuses like Mozart, Da Vinci, Michelangelo, Frank Lloyd Wright had scrapbooks, tore up lesser works, etc. You aren't going to knock one out of the park every single you step up to the plate.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    shaminoshamino Posts: 527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

I wouldn't look too much into this. A company like Apple probably tests hundreds of designs a year, only a few actually reaching market.

Agreed. It would be daft to think Apple isn't experimenting with touch-screen desktop systems. They probably have experimental UI packages for Mac OS X to go with these systems. But nobody outside of the research labs will see them unless/until they develop something Steve thinks is good enough to sell in massive quantities.

Look at the history of Apple's iOS products. All these devices began life as an experiment involving computers and PDAs with touch screens, evolving over many years into the products we know today (iPhone, iPod Touch, etc.) That research went down many directions, most of which did not become products. It stands to reason that several of those directions are still areas of active research within Apple. And like the iPhone, we won't know anything more than unconfirmed (and sometimes denied) rumors until the day a product ships, if one ever does.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shamino View Post

Agreed. It would be daft to think Apple isn't experimenting with touch-screen desktop systems. They probably have experimental UI packages for Mac OS X to go with these systems. But nobody outside of the research labs will see them unless/until they develop something Steve thinks is good enough to sell in massive quantities.

Look at the history of Apple's iOS products. All these devices began life as an experiment involving computers and PDAs with touch screens, evolving over many years into the products we know today (iPhone, iPod Touch, etc.) That research went down many direction, most of which did not become products. It stands to reason that several of those directions are still areas of active research within Apple. And like the iPhone, we won't know anything more than unconfirmed (and sometimes denied) rumors until the day a product ships, if one ever does.

Exactly. It seems that Apple has been rather good at avoiding what people say they want (netbooks) and figuring out what they really want (iPads).

I haven't tried the Touchsmart, but I have heard some people love it. I imagine, as people get more used to using their iPhones and iPads, they are going to want some touch interactivity on their desktop/laptop. I just assume Apple won't roll it out until they have the UI issues dealt with in a seamless, intuitive manner.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    IPhone supports 5 point of mutitouch , iPad supports 11 , maybe iMac touch supports 20 !! Apple will wow the world again !!! The so-called touchsmart Hp touch desktop , its mutitouch is even less than an iPhone !!! Only 4 !!!
  • Reply 6 of 10
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by UltimateFlank View Post

I'm not sure how I feel about this. It seems a little too gimmicky for Apple.

Look at it this way. It's likely not a consumer computer, at least not for a while. Think library check out stations, grocery store self checkout, museum kiosks, those 'listen here' stations at Barnes and Noble, etc.

That said, this was a killer smart move by the supplier. If they are involved or could be in the future, this denial might help to negate the idea that they leaked the info. Which, knowing Apple's OCD over secrecy, would cost them the gig
  • Reply 7 of 10
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shamino View Post

Look at the history of Apple's iOS products. All these devices began life as an experiment involving computers and PDAs with touch screens, evolving over many years into the products we know today (iPhone, iPod Touch, etc.) That research went down many direction, most of which did not become products. It stands to reason that several of those directions are still areas of active research within Apple. And like the iPhone, we won't know anything more than unconfirmed (and sometimes denied) rumors until the day a product ships, if one ever does.

+++++

Yes people don't realize how many iterrations of iPad and R&D Apple went through to get to what we have now. This includes detors into making iPhones and customized high performance ARM chips. There are very few products on Apples shelves that have been pulled out of their butts. Even the failures took a lot of time and effort to develop.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    bigmikebigmike Posts: 266member
    It's the next logical step in the evolution timeline. The whole touch-screen thing was weird for many people at first but they get used to it and actually think it's better/more productive. I'm sure they would let the user use both touchscreen and input device (mouse, wacom tablet, etc.) - at least during the transition. Also I think people are so used to mouse-clicking that most can't get their head around the idea of hand-touch only.

Apple has already been working on motion detection in front of a screen, so touch-screen seems like the next logical step.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Apple will not make a video iPod. Nobody wants to watch video on an iPod.

Apple should not allow third parties to create native iPhone applications. Nobody cares about third party iPhone applications. Web apps are really sweet.

Apple will not add copy and paste to the iPhone. Nobody cares about copy and paste.

Apple should not add multitasking to the iPhone. Nobody cares about multitasking.

Apple will never switch to Intel processors.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Look at it this way. It's likely not a consumer computer, at least not for a while. Think library check out stations, grocery store self checkout, museum kiosks, those 'listen here' stations at Barnes and Noble, etc.

That said, this was a killer smart move by the supplier. If they are involved or could be in the future, this denial might help to negate the idea that they leaked the info. Which, knowing Apple's OCD over secrecy, would cost them the gig

You make a really great point. I hadn't thought of Apple busting into the public domain libraries/ grocery stores, etc. That would be huge to have touch-sensitive Apple machines in retail outlets besides the Apple store.