Apple's iPad coming to all U.S. Mercedes-Benz dealerships

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
After a successful iPad pilot program with an initial 40 dealerships this summer, Mercedes-Benz is expanding its iPad program to all 355 U.S. dealerships this fall.

Mercedes-Benz Financial announced the news on Tuesday, Macworld reports. Dealerships should receive the iPad 3G by the end of October.

The "overwhelmingly positive" results from the test program were surprising, said vice president of marketing Andreas Hinrichs. "The feedback was so positive we said, we need to push this out to all the dealers and take the financing process to a new level."

This summer's iPad pilot program was revealed in May. Using the company's custom MB Advantage app, dealers were able to file lease returns directly on the iPad instead of having to write notes and then input them into a computer at their desk later.

Dealers kept customers on the showroom floor to close deals by using the iPad to apply for loans and fill out paperwork. Although the test program did not provide conclusive evidence that buyers are more willing to purchase a vehicle if they stay in the showroom, officials "seemed encouraged by the results," the report noted.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    applappl Posts: 348member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Dealers kept customers on the showroom floor to close deals by using the iPad to apply for loans and fill out paperwork.

Given the dynamics of car salesmen, I would think that the iPad would fit in very well. They can casually ask for information at various times, and input it when and as possible. By the time they've gotten their customer to the desired point, the sales contract would already be nearly complete.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    mgl323mgl323 Posts: 247member
    Let's see if other U.S. car dealerships will use the iPad as well.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    zindakozindako Posts: 468member
    It would be interesting if mercedes built them into their cars as an option
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mgl323 View Post

Let's see if other U.S. car dealerships will use the iPad as well.

The dealers can show them iAds of the cars they are looking at, too. All while convincing the customer they need an iPad as well.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    then give the customers the iPad after the deal is complete.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    wurm5150wurm5150 Posts: 763member
    Well that's a good thing to close a deal on the spot. Most car salesman make people wait a couple hours while they're "completing paperwork" when in fact they're in the breakroom bull$hitting after it only took 30 mins to complete all the paperwork.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Even the Air Conditioning guy was using an iPad yesterday. Pretty useful, I think we're going to see tablets everywhere soon.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

What is it about Americans always getting something for free? As though it only has value if it's free!

As far as I can see, Apple's iPad is the only 'show in town!' Why even consider 'giving it away?'

Go to Walmart and buy a blender for $8, take it home and find out what a piece of shite it is!

Best!
  • Reply 9 of 14
    bartfatbartfat Posts: 434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Wow, that would totally make me buy a Mercedes just for that! Actually, they'd have to throw in iPad integration and then I'd be cool.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member
    And Windows has had tablets for how long?

This really speaks to the value of Apple's iOS and UI designed for touch input vs the stack of minimally adopted Windows tablets that have been around for years.

See this story on Slashdot for more:

http://hardware.slashdot.org/story/1...t-By-Christmas

- Jasen.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    I hear LG and HTC are going to do a similar pilot program with Android-powered tablets in Kia and Hyundai showrooms.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by technohermit View Post

The dealers can show them iAds of the cars they are looking at, too. All while convincing the customer they need an iPad as well.

Forget iAds, this is all about contract software development. There is a lot of money in multimedia applications for sales presentations. In the case of car dealers, I would assume that instead of going back into the office to run the numbers, check inventory etc, they can do it right out in the lot while viewing the vehicle. The iPad is impressive so it might add some reassurance for the customer that the dealership is very progressive which could translate into increased sales.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

What is it about Americans always getting something for free? As though it only has value if it's free!

What is is about Europeans always saying, "What is it about Americans..."?

Quote:

As far as I can see, Apple's iPad is the only 'show in town!' Why even consider 'giving it away?

Because someone just spent +$60K. What's $500 as a simple "thank you"?

Quote:

Go to Walmart and buy a blender for $8, take it home and find out what a piece of shite it is!

What does this have to do have to do with anything?
  • Reply 14 of 14
    donarbdonarb Posts: 52member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

In the case of car dealers, I would assume that instead of going back into the office to run the numbers, check inventory etc, they can do it right out in the lot while viewing the vehicle.

Not only on the lot. When this was announced a few months ago, it was said that a salesman could be filling out the paperwork during the test drive. By the time you get back to the showroom, the documents could be printed, waiting for you to sign.