Target keeping iPad under lock and key

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

I know it's complicated but if I were the retailer "sacrificing" one unit for demo purposes could easily mean twice or five times as many sales. You play with an iPad in person, you're going to be seriously thinking of getting it. Basic psychology. Sure some have already decided, but many may not be exposed.

you have to understand who they hire at Target. These aren't even the Electronics focused kids at Best Buy. They are clerks. Nothing wrong with that, except that neither Apple nor Target would benefit from having clerks try to demo the unit. They also wouldn't be able to keep it secure effectively. They figure that if you have to ask for help to play with it, you're not likely to even try, so you might as well try to wow them with the display (relative to the other displays anyway) and sell based on the hype and popularity. Target is NOT equipped to be a real full service demo location. What they are is a Point of Purchase for people who know what they want and a point of exposure for people who want to go learn more.

what else they do is make tablet computing more mainstream. If the 'common' shopper sees that iPad is a common item, it'll be good for the market as a concept. The more tablet computing is accepted as something for everyone and the more Apple is seen as the defacto leader in tablet computing, the better for Apple.
  • Reply 22 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Still, it seems silly to close the web store like that. Does anyone have insights to how large web shops operate? Admittedly, I'm on a far smaller scale, but the service I use allows me to add and remove products, change details, change pictures, change the entire store's theme, change the front page, all without having to "close" the store. Come to think of it, Apple is the only one I can think of that decides to do it this way, it just seems anachronistic.

Back when I did web sites, everything was database-driven and we could update a site without taking it down-- add changes that were inactive until a certain date and time. You had a test mode, where you could simulate the future look and content.

Apple uses WebObjects for its online store-- so that could have something to do with it.

It could also be related to the fact that they have many stores in many countries -- different translations, price-point conversions, VATs included, different customs, moral and religious no-nos, etc.

Or just that Apple. often, rearranges the site to emphasize new products -- the store works the same but looks entirely different.

• Reply 23 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"We hope to sell a lot more later this week, once people are more aware that we carry it," electronics team member Chetna Parikh told the AP in an interview.

They won't sell many if they don't even let consumers see it. I checked out the display at the local Target yesterday and was greatly dismayed that they didn't even have one in a display case playing a demo video. This is a serious flaw. One reason for selling through Target stores to begin with is to get the iPad additional exposure to potential consumers who don't have a nearby Apple store. To then not even let them see it seems poorly conceived.

Generally, I'm a big fan of Target stores... but I've never been impressed with their ability to keep any of their technology departments functioning. I live near several upscale Target stores built within the last few years, yet when I walk in I frequently see the Blu-ray DVD players not working, televisions not working or with horrible signal or bad visual screen settings, speakers set up with demo capability but not even plugged in (with no nearby outlet, it seems), game consoles broken, etc. The last three stores I was in have this large digital camera demo area, but not one camera worked. I get the distinct impression that Target just plain doesn't get the fact that they'll sell more stuff if their stuff actually worked on the floor.

Come on, Target. All you need to do is hire any high school geek to work for a couple hours two nights a week setting up and fixing all the stuff that's wrong in your electronics department. You know, someone who cares.

As for the iOS devices they sell... they would sell, easily, 3-4 times more than their paltry sales today if they would put out some demo units. Common sense.
  • Reply 24 of 39
    Quote:

Locking stuff away is fine. But Apple stuff is successful because of the tons of demos available so that you can play with it and really get a feel of it. Even Apple resellers around the world are not allowed nor are supplied with dummy units in almost all cases.

Tight security for all products. Except for the demo units which must be accessible, just use one of them security cord thingys.

Nothing more I dislike than small boxes under glass that you then got to ask about, and the salesperson doesn't or can't open it up, they have to evaluate if you're actually going to buy it, etc... Totally counterproductive retail experience. Demo it.

You guys were reminiscing about older Bay Area computer storers that carried Apple (CompUSA, EggHead).

I don't know if its' still there, but there was this store that carried Apple products and provided a terrible shopping experience. Their sales people were trained to follow you around, push the sale and get you in and out, quickly.

It was just irritating as hell!

Matthew's Top-Of-the-Hill, Daly City.

• Reply 25 of 39
    Quote:

Locking stuff away is fine. But Apple stuff is successful because of the tons of demos available so that you can play with it and really get a feel of it. Even Apple resellers around the world are not allowed nor are supplied with dummy units in almost all cases.

Tight security for all products. Except for the demo units which must be accessible, just use one of them security cord thingys.

Nothing more I dislike than small boxes under glass that you then got to ask about, and the salesperson doesn't or can't open it up, they have to evaluate if you're actually going to buy it, etc... Totally counterproductive retail experience. Demo it.

Mmm...

One time I went to the Glendale (CA) Apple store for something... and a few days later the Pasadena store opened and was very crowded.

I saw this nerdy looking guy with spiked hair that had been at the Glendale store...

I made some off-hand comment to him, something like: "You must be a big Apple fan-- I saw you at the Glendale store a few days ago".

We got into an interesting conversation... Turns out he was an Apple employee and worked for Apple Security. He, and others, would travel around from Apple store to Apple store for openings, big shopping days -- anytime there was lots of store activity.

They were doing more than just trying to prevent shoplifting. They would co-ordinate with local and mall police, store management, etc. and were responsible for the smooth operation and flow of shoppers through the store.

Often, there would be more than one of them at a store opening or special event.

At that time, they dressed, similarly, in all black and looked like a bunch of nerdy bikers-- obscure by being obvious. They dressed that way so they, and store employees, could quickly locate them.

As with most things, Apple, I suspect little is left to chance-- especially in a busy Apple store.

• Reply 26 of 39
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ranger_one View Post

I live near several upscale Target stores...

Hey, isn't that an oxymoron?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ranger_one View Post

Come on, Target. All you need to do is hire any high school geek to work for a couple hours two nights a week setting up and fixing all the stuff that's wrong in your electronics department. You know, someone who cares.

I was that "high school geek" when I was 16 working at a department store called Bradlees. You can bet all of the electronics in their home entertainment department worked. Granted, we didn't sell iPods or game consoles, but we did have Walkmans and cameras (and CD players too).
  • Reply 27 of 39
    I bought an iPad yesterday. Went to Best Buy and looked at their iPads and cases. I didn't like any of the cases that they had, so I didn't buy anything. I went next door to Target. I saw their display. No customer assistance at all. No iPads to be found and only Apple cases. I went back to Best Buy and bought my iPad. Still don't have a case. The Target strategy clearly has problems, as I knew exactly what I wanted (32 gb 3G), and was in the store to buy, but had to go somewhere else to close the deal.
  • Reply 28 of 39
    I'll be blunt...Target does not meet Apple's quality standards.

I went into the local Target last week to look at some NetBooks. All of the computers they had out were beat up non-functional display models. And by "beat up", I mean scratched with adhesive residue, etc.

I then went to ask about a model and the two clerks on duty were too busy talking about video game recommendations with another customer (this conversation spanned the entire time I was in Target, and probably beyond).

I left and got what I needed at Best Buy.

In short, Target's electronics section was an ill-kept and poorly managed joke.
  • Reply 29 of 39
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    Quote:

You're from the Bay Area... I remember, oh, 2000-2002, before the very 1st Apple Store even. Best place to buy Macs in San Francisco, or almost the only place I actually knew of, was the dreaded CompUSA on Market Street. Those were the horrible, horrible days pre-official Apple Stores.

there was the macadm store on folsom street in san francisco. great place. apple certified techs and you could buy anything apple. and they charged an effing huge premium for the products! i always browsed there but never bought. they went out of business years ago (and rightly so, in my opinion). the storefront was empty for a few years until an extreme pizza set up shop. they, too, have a great products at high prices. maybe it's the storefront?
  • Reply 30 of 39
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

there was the macadm store on folsom street in san francisco. great place. apple certified techs and you could buy anything apple. and they charged an effing huge premium for the products! i always browsed there but never bought. they went out of business years ago (and rightly so, in my opinion). the storefront was empty for a few years until an extreme pizza set up shop. they, too, have a great products at high prices. maybe it's the storefront?

Rent in retail districts tends to be high. I don't know about specific streets in SF, but I can only imagine that retail rent in SF might be orbital.
  • Reply 31 of 39
    The iPad has already achieved the commodity status that it took years for the iPod to achieve. Used to be that people needed to be "introduced" to the iPod in the supportive womb of the Apple Store. After a few years iPods became so ubiquitous as music players that they sold themselves--nobody much cared how beautiful and "Appley" the surrounding store was. No demo units needed. Apple just sealed them up in nice clear plastic hangers and put them on a rack--even in vending machines in some places. With Target in the picture we are now there with the iPad. It has become a commodity that requires no seduction by trained acolytes to make a sale. People just want them, the cheaper the better.
  • Reply 32 of 39
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    The local Best Buy seems to have removed all iPads. I looked around a bit (didn't ask) but could not see them anywhere. The regular Mac table has been reorg'd and there's no room for the iPad.
  • Reply 33 of 39
    The display looks exactly the same as their iPod displays looked for years. I would expect these to get locked up the same way.
  • Reply 34 of 39
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by roehlstation View Post

The display looks exactly the same as their iPod displays looked for years. I would expect these to get locked up the same way.

You're right, it's been this way for years, it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that's actually been there. My local Targets don't really do anything to highlight the iPods either, they're off in some side aisle.
  • Reply 35 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

The iPad has already achieved the commodity status that it took years for the iPod to achieve. Used to be that people needed to be "introduced" to the iPod in the supportive womb of the Apple Store. After a few years iPods became so ubiquitous as music players that they sold themselves--nobody much cared how beautiful and "Appley" the surrounding store was. No demo units needed. Apple just sealed them up in nice clear plastic hangers and put them on a rack--even in vending machines in some places. With Target in the picture we are now there with the iPad. It has become a commodity that requires no seduction by trained acolytes to make a sale. People just want them, the cheaper the better.

Not that Target will sell them cheaper. Overall, I'm not impressed by Target. A few weeks ago I went into one looking to buy two bicycles. They were hung from the wall by some sort of swing-arm contraption. I had to figure out how to lower them to the floor to look at the one I was interested in buying. I'm pretty sure I wasn't supposed to be doing that, but nobody who worked there showed up the entire time. Most of the bikes didn't even have prices on them. I had to hunt down an employee just to get the price. I ended up buying them at K-Mart. At least they had marked prices, and somebody showed to help.
  • Reply 36 of 39
    Quote:

This was the Apple buying experience before the Apple store. Target isn't really a place you go to "try" electronics anyway. It's a place where people who don't live near an Apple store can purchase an iPod or iPad right away. Perfect for Xmas. Plus you haven't considered how many times a day Target gets shoplifted. That's why they have tons of hidden cameras and plain clothes store security. If they had iPads on display there would be tons of people trying to steal them and possibly damage the display. The display might cost a lot more than the iPad.

Besides, dont you remember the brick in the iPod box days?

Anybody want to buy a brick shaped like an iPad?
  • Reply 37 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

You guys were reminiscing about older Bay Area computer storers that carried Apple (CompUSA, EggHead).

I don't know if its' still there, but there was this store that carried Apple products and provided a terrible shopping experience. Their sales people were trained to follow you around, push the sale and get you in and out, quickly.

It was just irritating as hell!

Matthew's Top-Of-the-Hill, Daly City.

I remember their radio ads -- their tag-line which you have typed above. It seemed like the ad played two or three times every hour incessantly. (Jeez, thanks for starting that sound to loop in my head again - )

So I did visit once, but it was not a pleasant or productive experience.

I think it points up the vast difference in shopping experience one gets, depending on the kind of store you are going to. So it is a trade-off for Apple: more exposure to customer buying, but less control of how that happens.

(the less control aspect probably irks Steve J to no end...)
  • Reply 38 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Goldenclaw View Post

I'll be blunt...Target does not meet Apple's quality standards.

The funny thing is that Target doesn't own those displays, Apple does. Apple is the one that decides what displays they want, has them made and shipped to the stores. When a new display comes in Target is told by Apple what to do with the old display; Either shipping the old one back or, more likely, throwing it away.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Goldenclaw View Post

In short, Target's electronics section was an ill-kept and poorly managed joke.

I agree. I worked there for years as a Team Leader (Dept Manager) and and can tell you that the Electronics section was one that I wasn't too pleased with. It's even worse in this economy as they have very tight payroll which means less employees and them doing more work. It's hard to keep everything up and running the way it should to be honest. There just aren't enough hours in the day.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by HammerofTruth View Post

This was the Apple buying experience before the Apple store. Target isn't really a place you go to "try" electronics anyway. It's a place where people who don't live near an Apple store can purchase an iPod or iPad right away. Perfect for Xmas. Plus you haven't considered how many times a day Target gets shoplifted. That's why they have tons of hidden cameras and plain clothes store security. If they had iPads on display there would be tons of people trying to steal them and possibly damage the display. The display might cost a lot more than the iPad.

Besides, dont you remember the brick in the iPod box days?

Anybody want to buy a brick shaped like an iPad?

That's spot on.

1) Most people buying iPods come in knowing what they want. Probably half are gifts during the holiday season.

2) iPods were very close to being the #1 stolen item until Target decided to start pulling them out at night and locking them up elsewhere after those idiots were bricking the glass to get in the store and bricking the displays to get the iPods out. The reason being that the cases they're in cost many times more than all the iPods in them!!! $20,000 is one quote I heard from a reputable Target Asset Protection Team Member.

3) Target makes a crap load more on food and clothing. They make very little on Electronics, especially Apple products.
  • Reply 39 of 39
    I am half black and half latino, so before anyone starts calling me a racist, lets clear that up right away.

I HATE having to go shop @ TARGET here in the nyc metro area, why u ask?? because EVERY TIME (and I mean EVERY TIME) that I go there to purchase something I always have an issue with the class of employees that i come into contact with they are usually lazy a$$ workers who are getting probably $5 hr and there is NO CSM training at all-- they are a bunch of idiots buffoons and kids mostly texting their friends or gossiping with each other and i just went there yesterday to get a i-pod and the sales person just blindly points me to the area (which is under lock and key) and tells me the ipods are there - so after i go to the glass case i realized i have to go back to the idiot so that he can open it and hand one to me- after we process the transaction, i remember that my moms laptop is black and grey and that the blue and white ipod i just bought won't match so i ask the sales clerk can i just switch it for the grey and black one -- and he told me he couldn't do that , and then asked me to follow him 3 floors down to the customer service area because they aren't allowed to make a switch so easily??? i was like WTF???

half way down the escalator i told him to forget about it and i just kept the blue and white one-

TARGET hires a bunch of low paying minorities who prob steal the merchandise themselves so this i why they are keeping the iPAD under lock and key. do you blame them>???? i don't they should hire better workers and have consequences for those who don't give a $h!t about working.

next time i will go the APPLE store for a better buying experience.