iPad, VoIP and Bluetooth?

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Are there any VoIP apps for the iPad that support Bluetooth? Tried both Gizmo5 and Skype and neither work with my Backbeat headset (even though the Gizmo app has a setting to enable Bluetooth.) Incidentally, Truphone actually states that it does not support Bluetooth on the iPad; also my Backbeats do not work on my Mac with fStream, though they do with iTunes. So I can see that getting them to work for VoIP on the iPad is going to be somewhat problematic. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    I'm pretty interested in this as well.

Looking to get a 3G iPad for travel and would love to use skype on it.

flick.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    It seems that the iPad's built-in mic and speaker work okay for Skype (from the self-included test, I didn't try placing an actual call), but that it does not currently support any Bluetooth headsets for VoIP. Wired sets should all work.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by andyapple View Post

It seems that the iPad's built-in mic and speaker work okay for Skype (from the self-included test, I didn't try placing an actual call), but that it does not currently support any Bluetooth headsets for VoIP. Wired sets should all work.

In a nutshell, the iPad (unlike the iPhone) does not support a hands-free bluetooth (i.e., wireless) headset. I too find this a major annoyance since I am using Line2 as a VoIP connection with just about anywhere in the world and it would greatly facilitate life in my study if I were not tied to my iPad by connecting wires. And using Line2 on a regular basis has an astonishing and very welcome effect on my long distance charges. Why is this capability not available on the iPad but available on the iPhone? I have no idea.

I keep thinking that some bright person is going to figure out a work around.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    jasgjasg Posts: 1member
    Yep, no hardware support for Bluetooth headsets etc on iPod Touch/iPad - here is the Apple support page o the subject, http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3647

Ear buds with a microphone work fine. Tested with Talkatone.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    I wonder if the Backbeat 906, which comes with a network adapter that plugs into the headphone jack, might work. They say it supports the HFP that the iPod touch and iPad lack, though they don't mention anything about PBAP.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    The Backbeat 906 is interesting. But the down & dirty rockbottom fact of the matter is that without the Handsfree Profile already on the iPad there has to be some kind of workaround that takes the place of that profile. I cannot understand why Apple has chosen to refuse this capability to the iPad & iPod Touch. After all, VoIP is a well accepted fact of life.