Next-gen 7-inch iPad to have Retina Display, 128GB storage - rumor

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Component suppliers in Taiwan have indicated to one Wall Street analyst that Apple's next-generation iPad will sport a 7-inch high-resolution Retina Display, a camera, and 128GB of capacity -- and that it could sell 45 million in 2011.

Brian White of Ticonderoga Securities said this week that suppliers contacted during a trip to Taipei indicated that Apple plans to launch a new iPad in the first quarter of the 2011 calendar year. In addition to having a smaller 7-inch size, he also said the device will have a "micro or mini USB" port.

The information is similar to what Goldman Sachs said in late September, including the addition of a USB port. If true, the addition of a new port could be a result of the European Union making MicroUSB the default charging method for mobile devices.

White said the next-generation iPad will replace the first-generation iPad when it is released next year. He made no mention of Apple maintaining the 9.7-inch model, though Goldman Sachs said the new 7-inch variety would be in addition to the current screen size.

The source also indicated that Apple could sell as many as 45 million iPad units in 2011. That's more than double Ticonderoga's projection of 21.8 million next year.

White also said that his overseas contact's company shipped more than 6 million iPad components (one per device) in the third quarter of calendar 2010, and expects to ship 7 million for the holiday season.

"These numbers are well above our iPad forecasts of 3.8 million in the September quarter and 5.37 million in the December quarter," he wrote. "Essentially, this equates to 13 million units for the second-half of (calendar year) 2010 versus our forecast of 9.17 million units."

Ticonderoga initiated its coverage of AAPL stock this week, with an in-depth 85-page note to analysts in which White said he believes the stock price will hit $430 in the next 12 months. The analyst said he believes the iPad will be the "most coveted gift this holiday season."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 106
    Need to know when the new one comes out so I can sell my original ipad. I'm hopeing for the same size with Retina and more storage. Facetime with a camera would just be a bonus.
  • Reply 2 of 106
    I do hope they do not discontinue the large-screen version. The only thing that could make the iPad better for me is a retina display and perhaps more RAM. Things I do not give a shit about: cameras, HDMI output, 7" screens, other carriers, and increased storage.
  • Reply 3 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

White said the next-generation iPad will replace the first-generation iPad when it is released next year. He made no mention of Apple maintaining the 9.7-inch model, though Goldman Sachs said the new 7-inch variety would be in addition to the current screen size.

There is no chance of this happening.

So Apple sends developers down a path of creating apps for a 9.7" form factor only to discontinue that screen size in favor of something smaller in less than a year?

Right.

I would, however, love a 9.7" Retina display.
  • Reply 4 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPad999 View Post

Need to know when the new one comes out so I can sell my original ipad. I'm hopeing for the same size with Retina and more storage. Facetime with a camera would just be a bonus.

Why sell the original? It would be like selling an original Model T car by Ford.

Even though I find mine to be basically a POS in terms of utility lately, I intend to put it back in it's box and keep it for posterity. Someday I will get the same charge I get out of it that I do when I turn on my Commodore 64 monitor.
  • Reply 5 of 106
    jb510jb510 Posts: 129member
    It's as likely to have a blender built into it as have those specs.
  • Reply 6 of 106
    I made a comment some time ago about this possibility and there are some important and exciting facts that people should be aware if this happens:

iPhone 4 screen dimensions are 3" x 2" and sports a resolution of 960x640. Multiply dimensions by 2 and you have the 6" x 4" (7.2" diagonal) iPad Screen.

Following the same approach for the resolution and multiplying by 2 we have 1920x1280 Retina Display iPad.

That is 1280p video in a 7.2" inch display!!! Damn, I can't wait to see if this becomes real. I would buy one on day one!
  • Reply 7 of 106
    Quote:

... White said the next-generation iPad will replace the first-generation iPad when it is released next year. ...

This is certainly wrong. It would be a suicidal move for Apple to change the form factor of the iPad and discontinue the old one.

One of the main indicators of a new 7" model being offered will be the presence of two models in early testing rumours (if there are any rumours or leaks to that effect). If it gets close to the release date and we only know of one model being tested, it will certainly be the same size as this years model. Apple would have to be insane to radically change the form factor of their best selling product of all time on the first iteration, (and Apple is not insane).
  • Reply 8 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Moises.Soto View Post

I made a comment some time ago about this possibility and there are some important and exciting facts that people should be aware if this happens:

iPhone 4 screen dimensions are 3" x 2" and sports a resolution of 960x640. Multiply dimensions by 2 and you have the 6" x 4" (7.2" diagonal) iPad Screen.

Following the same approach for the resolution and multiplying by 2 we have 1920x1280 Retina Display iPad.

That is 1280p video in a 7.2" inch display!!! Damn, I can't wait to see if this becomes real. I would buy one on day one!

This makes a lot of sense to me.

I just hope it's an iPad "pro" and drops the gigantic bezels on the sides for something a little more easily holdable/pocketable and retains the iPhone desktop icon setup instead of the IPad's, so we can actually use the thing for serious business.
  • Reply 9 of 106
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    128gb SSD's are far too expensive, blows this rumour apart!
  • Reply 10 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Who's talkin about ssds?
  • Reply 11 of 106
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    So now we have sales estimates for a rumored form factor?
  • Reply 12 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

This is certainly wrong. It would be a suicidal move for Apple to change the form factor of the iPad and discontinue the old one.

One of the main indicators of a new 7" model being offered will be the presence of two models in early testing rumours (if there are any rumours or leaks to that effect). If it gets close to the release date and we only know of one model being tested, it will certainly be the same size as this years model. Apple would have to be insane to radically change the form factor of their best selling product of all time on the first iteration, (and Apple is not insane).

Nah, they will keep the 9.7 for sure. It's the perfect size for most people and applications. I believe the sales ratio of the possible two models (9.7'' vs. 7'') will be about 3:1 or at best 2:1 . Worth wile to go for it but no reason to drop the bigger one.
  • Reply 13 of 106
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:

Even though I find mine to be basically a POS in terms of utility lately...

What about its functionality has become POS to you after only a couple of months?

Mine has become more valuable to me every day.
  • Reply 14 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Yep! That's what we do here 90% of the time spreading rumors about rumors.
  • Reply 15 of 106
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Component suppliers in Taiwan have indicated to one Wall Street analyst that Apple's next-generation iPad will sport a 7-inch high-resolution Retina Display, a camera, and 128GB of capacity -- and that it could sell 45 million in 2011.

This projection is based on the calculation that if 45 million people buy the device Apple will sell 45 million units. On the other hand, if 39.5 million individuals buy one unit each Apple will only sell 39.5 million units. But Apple still could sell 45 million units.

Phew... this is really insightful stuff. Coming from a supplier, and all.

Beyond that - if the devices comes with 128GB storage it will signal a new direction in terms of the intended use for the iPad. That is a serious amount of storage for 'media consumption'.
  • Reply 16 of 106
    Quote:

This makes a lot of sense to me.

I just hope it's an iPad "pro" and drops the gigantic bezels on the sides for something a little more easily holdable/pocketable and retains the iPhone desktop icon setup instead of the IPad's, so we can actually use the thing for serious business.

The bezel is fine. Any smaller and you're holding it with your fingers touching the screen.

The 'bezel too big' thing is as silly as the 'it should be 16:9' nonsense.
  • Reply 17 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Nail. Meet head.
  • Reply 18 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

It doesn't say 128gb SSDs... its says 128gb of memory. With the amount of room the iPad has they can easily cram multiple chips into it to achieve 128gb with 4 chips.
  • Reply 19 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jb510 View Post

It's as likely to have a blender built into it as have those specs.

Yep, one with pixie dust.
  • Reply 20 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guitarer1c2 View Post

There is no chance of this happening.

So Apple sends developers down a path of creating apps for a 9.7" form factor only to discontinue that screen size in favor of something smaller in less than a year?

Right.

I would, however, love a 9.7" Retina display.

First of all, the introduction of a new size iPad does not automatically signal the demise of the current size.

Second, the Retina Display rumor is a crock. 7" Retina Display parts are just starting to emerge on the market and it is doubtful that the supply availability and pricing would make it favorable for Apple to include this. Theoretically, the 7" iPad would have to be less expensive than the 9.7" iPad, and that won't happen if they put a Retina Display in it.

Let's face it, we are several years away from seeing a Retina Display iPad (regardless of screen size).