Next-gen 7-inch iPad to have Retina Display, 128GB storage - rumor

Comments

• Reply 21 of 106
    doroteadorotea Posts: 323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sporkupine View Post

I do hope they do not discontinue the large-screen version. The only thing that could make the iPad better for me is a retina display and perhaps more RAM. Things I do not give a shit about: cameras, HDMI output, 7" screens, other carriers, and increased storage.

I dont't even care about the screen. I think the current one is quite wonderful. I do want more storage and ram. None of the other stuff makes a difference to me.
  • Reply 22 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

What about its functionality has become POS to you after only a couple of months?

Mine has become more valuable to me every day.

I am a writer and I do a lot of artwork. I was hoping to use the iPad as a portable computer for writing and drawing and after much testing it basically fails at both (IMO of course). It's impossible to do any serious data entry basically without putting it down on a table top in a special case. It's also impossible to draw much of anything but stick figures without a huge effort. I need (would like) to be able to quickly and accurately sketch out ideas as well as type long documents while I'm moving about.

In other words I need a portable computer, but the iPad is more of a portable screen. It's great for browsing the web, watching videos, and reading books/comics, and it's also good for games, but those are all things I do rarely and none of them are things I do while mobile except perhaps watching video podcasts which I find my iPhone is actually much better at.
  • Reply 23 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

The bezel is fine. Any smaller and you're holding it with your fingers touching the screen.

The 'bezel too big' thing is as silly as the 'it should be 16:9' nonsense.

I meant the sides only. It should be like the iPhone IMO so you can type on it properly. One of the drawbacks to the current iPad is that it's almost impossible to thumb-type on it because of the large side bezels.

I think this makes sense in terms of the utility of the iPad and the fact that it's supposed to work in all four orientations. However I think that to do serious work, one's "desktop" (home screen) has to have either a preferred orientation or a preferred axis (like the iPhone), and that the bezels should reflect that by being smaller on the sides.
  • Reply 24 of 106
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Welcome to the forum, guitarer1c2 and JackFuchs.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by guitarer1c2 View Post

There is no chance of this happening.

So Apple sends developers down a path of creating apps for a 9.7" form factor only to discontinue that screen size in favor of something smaller in less than a year?

Right.

I would, however, love a 9.7" Retina display.

Their competitors coming out 7” tablets with USB ports seem to be the basis for this rumour. They’ve have to have a new UI for it and an SDK for making apps that work ideally for this new size. It seems way to early to introduce a new wrench at this point.

As great as it would be I think a Retina Display on the iPad is a long way off. Even if we consider the minimum socially accepted usage of 20/20 vision at 10” away from your eyes we’re still talking a 286ppi display, which is well under the 326ppi on the iPhone 4 and G4 iPod Touch.

Even if Apple doubles the pixels like they did between the iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4, moving from 1024x768 to 2048x1536 that is still only 264ppi, which is damn close but still shy of what I’d call the "minimum Retina Display demarcation point”, even though most people wouldn’t be able to see the pixels at that point as most don’t have 20/20 vision.

However, those specs were based on 10-12” away, but Apple could argue that one tends to hold a tablet farther away thus making the 20/20 at 16” away a viable candidate for a Retina Display stamp… with an asterisk and footnote.

Note: if this rumour is real and Apple does make a 7” iPad using the same 4:3 aspect ratio the PPI will be 183. That is still pretty good for that size device

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JackFuchs View Post

Who's talkin about ssds?

You’re right in that Apple has used on-board NAND instead of a separate 1.8” or 2.5” SSD, but you could have addressed his comment about 128GB of NAND storage likely being cost prohibitive. Plus, the 10” iPad would likely get it at or before any 7” iPad.
  • Reply 25 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I am a writer and I do a lot of artwork. I was hoping to use the iPad as a portable computer for writing and drawing and after much testing it basically fails at both (IMO of course). It's impossible to do any serious data entry basically without putting it down on a table top in a special case. It's also impossible to draw much of anything but stick figures without a huge effort. I need (would like) to be able to quickly and accurately sketch out ideas as well as type long documents while I'm moving about.

In other words I need a portable computer, but the iPad is more of a portable screen. It's great for browsing the web, watching videos, and reading books/comics, and it's also good for games, but those are all things I do rarely and none of them are things I do while mobile except perhaps watching video podcasts which I find my iPhone is actually much better at.

Maybe you should look at the recent rumors of an updated macbook air. That seems to be what you're looking for. A real keyboard, for now, will always beat a touchscreen for loads of input. For the drawing thing I suggest a sketch pad and colored pencils.
  • Reply 26 of 106
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

How were you planning to do 'serious data entry' without putting the thing down. Or do you just mean it is no good for 'lap work'? I find the iPad good to write on but it has to be set up in its special case. I haven't tried to use a BT keyboard but I suspect it would be fine.

As far as drawing anything but a stick figure... you are kidding, right? It depends on your type of art and style of creative expression but the iPad has several good packages. David Hockney uses one all the time http://www.ipadforums.net/apple-ipad...-his-ipad.html and here is a couple of pretty impressive videos -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__rPHTWxS4g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzGm-WKo91c

There are tons more.
  • Reply 27 of 106
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Beyond that - if the devices comes with 128GB storage it will signal a new direction in terms of the intended use for the iPad. That is a serious amount of storage for 'media consumption'.

Not if you start putting HD movies on it, there's a good chance that even the iPod Touch will jump to 128GB next year (bye bye classic?). The iPad has never been solely about media consumption anyway. I don't think a 128GB iPad would reflect anything other than a drop in the cost of flash memory.
  • Reply 28 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Their competitors coming out 7” tablets with USB ports seem to be the basis for this rumour.

Not true.

Rumors of a 7" tablet have been around even before the unveiling of the current iPad. These rumors did not start up because competitors started announcing 7" devices.

Let's face it. Apple experiments with a variety of parts, resulting in hundreds of prototype designs every year. Only a handful make it to market. It is highly likely that there have been prototype tablets between 5" and 17" sitting in a lab in Cupertino over the past eighteen months. Only one design became the iPad. Leaks from supply chain partners fuels these rumors, not what the competition has said in response to the iPad.
  • Reply 29 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Not if you start putting HD movies on it, there's a good chance that even the iPod Touch will jump to 128GB next year (bye bye classic?). The iPad has never been solely about media consumption anyway. I don't think a 128GB iPad would reflect anything other than a drop in the cost of flash memory.

Next year I can see for the iPod Touch as that is in September and the new shrinkage should be producing well by the time Apple needs production. I?m not so sure about the next iPad though if we assume another April release.

I?m also not so sure the iPod Classic would be dropped. They didn?t upgrade the 1.8? HDD this year (I?m sure Toshiba simply isn?t investing in that tech anymore) but they also didn?t lower the price which tells me that the production sales are still on mark. if we see an iPod Classic price drop before the next iPod Special Event then I think it?s possible that they could stop production.
  • Reply 30 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

This projection is based on the calculation that if 45 million people buy the device Apple will sell 45 million units. On the other hand, if 39.5 million individuals buy one unit each Apple will only sell 39.5 million units. But Apple still could sell 45 million units.

Phew... this is really insightful stuff. Coming from a supplier, and all.

Beyond that - if the devices comes with 128GB storage it will signal a new direction in terms of the intended use for the iPad. That is a serious amount of storage for 'media consumption'.

I have to agree -- the Current MacBook Air has a 128 GB SDD option.

With more RAM (1 GB), and Dual Core CPU, the 9.7 tablet could do a good job of things like video editing.

Say:

-- a new 7" tablet for $299

-- the current 9.7" tablet at $399

-- the new 9.7" tablet starting at $499

• Reply 31 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Not true.

Rumors of a 7" tablet have been around even before the unveiling of the current iPad. These rumors did not start up because competitors started announcing 7" devices.

The inclusion of ?this rumour? means I?m speculating on ?this rumour? not all rumours. People did mockups of 7? iTablets long before the iPad was ever announced, but I don?t think those previous rumours are necessarily binding to any future rumours because they mention the same size display.
  • Reply 32 of 106
    Whatever they do, the next gen iPad has to have a high resolution screen.

Text on the current iPad looks terrible next to the iPhone 4.
  • Reply 33 of 106
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

Nah, they will keep the 9.7 for sure. It's the perfect size for most people and applications. I believe the sales ratio of the possible two models (9.7'' vs. 7'') will be about 3:1 or at best 2:1 . Worth wile to go for it but no reason to drop the bigger one.

I actually think it will be closer to 1:1. If the price is right there could be a lot of iPod touch users who upgrade to a 7" iPad.
  • Reply 34 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

Text on the current iPad looks terrible next to the iPhone 4.

Yeah it does. But what do they do? go double like with the iPhone 3GS to iPhone 4?

I?m not sure they can easily do that with today?s tech or if they really need to. They kept the iPhone on the same resolution for 3 years, and least a year after it was woefully outdated. I have to think waiting for a proper display that will make this a non-issue will be more important to Apple than to have devs recompile for different resolutions each year.
  • Reply 35 of 106
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    imo they should add an SD slot and drop the fix storage pattern. Standard mini-usb port would be nice too.

I hope they dont let competition take over for stupid things like that.
  • Reply 36 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

imo they should add an SD slot and drop the fix storage pattern. Standard mini-usb port would be nice too.

SD NAND is so slow compared to the NAND Apple uses on-board. I?ll sell my stock the moment Apple announces something like that.
  • Reply 37 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guitarer1c2 View Post

There is no chance of this happening.

So Apple sends developers down a path of creating apps for a 9.7" form factor only to discontinue that screen size in favor of something smaller in less than a year?

Right.

I would, however, love a 9.7" Retina display.

The current iPad has a 132 Pixel per inch display.

The current iPhone has a 326 Pixel per inch display.

If they doubled the current 3.5" iPhone display that would result in a 7" display.

It would have to have a resolution of 1920x1280.

That is higher than a 21" iMac!

I don't think it will happen because it would require a very powerful graphics chip.

It also creates ANOTHER resolution that developers have to target.

A more realistic solution is to use the current 1024x768 iPad resolution and shrink it to 7".

This would create a 7" iPad with a 183 Pixel per inch display.

Not quite retina quality, but no hoops for developers to jump through
  • Reply 38 of 106
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Yeah it does. But what do they do? go double like with the iPhone 3GS to iPhone 4?

I’m not sure they can easily do that with today’s tech or if they really need to. They kept the iPhone on the same resolution for 3 years, and least a year after it was woefully outdated. I have to think waiting for a proper display that will make this a non-issue will be more important to Apple than to have devs recompile for different resolutions each year.

Would it be possible to produce a display with a resolution such that ipad apps would not require any recompilation, or would that be just too expensive?

Edit - what Johnny said above
  • Reply 39 of 106
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Great now we can measure apple's stock price in terms of ipads.

I am actually looking forward to the 7 inched. If it is slightly cheaper I think I can split it with someone without hurting my MacBook upgrade budget.
  • Reply 40 of 106
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

I don't think it will happen because it would require a very powerful graphics chip.

It also creates ANOTHER resolution that developers have to target.

My thoughts exactly. Apple wouldn't risk ridiculous fragmentation like that. Not this early in the game. In a few years, after the iPad is old news and 1024x768 can be put out to pasture, but not now.