Verizon, Apple quarreled over iPhone retail options, digital content

Comments

• Reply 101 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

..... no one in the industry expect the iPhone to be as successful as it was. Due to its unbelievable success (and spawning of knockoffs) its really hard to remember how unrealistic the iPhone seemed when it came out.

This is exactly right. The industry was initially dismissive. Then dumbstruck. And transformed. Now crawling with wannabes.

ATT stepped up to the plate to help make it happen for Apple, and kudos to them. (I am quite happy with ATT, btw).
  • Reply 102 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Yeah, Apple is going to change to suit you. That's not how it works. As consumers we choose and use the products that work for us, not the other way around. It's called a free market. A company is free to provide a product that they believe works. If you don't like a product for lack of features you're free to make your own or find one that does.

I think there are a lot of people who think like I do.

I think there are a lot of people who want an iPhone but can't get one because there is no service where they are.

I think if the iPhone was open to all cell providers it would be a good thing for the world.

And if it drives the AI forum nuts in the process, so be it!
  • Reply 103 of 222
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

Little Rant:

I never will understand Apple's partnership with AT&T. There such a crap company.

So what other GSM carrier using the same band as the rest of the world are they supposed to use. Cause T-Mobile isn't.

Or do you actually believe in your great and better than Apple wisdom that making a different model for every country actually makes more sense for the business and the consumer.

Quote:

I thought part of the approval process for Apps was that they couldn't crash.

That is correct. They are keeping out apps that would crash for obvious reasons like improper coding. However they can not test for every single combination anymore than they can for the computers. Sometimes issues will turn up for some users that couldn't be anticipated. It's just the nature of the game.

Quote:

I could go play elsewhere. OR!!! Apple could change to suit ME!

Well they are not going to. Please get some meds and get over yourself. Stop with this "Apple is Shite cause they don't do what I think they should, how I think they should, when I think they should" crap attitude.

Or if you think you can do better, go make your own phone. Totally from scratch, no licensed tech. Create your own carrier service, put up your own towers etc. I"m sure you can show Apple and all of them a thing or two.

And then you can build your own computers with your own OS etc.
  • Reply 104 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aluni View Post

Looks like you have an open mind. So let me mention a few things. You can ponder them at your leisure

1. Both Apple and Att are currently selling every single iphone 4 they can make, so for now it does not matter if the iphone was on all networks or just one. They just isn't more phones to supply!........

etc

etc

Now you would say. That just proves Apple stock is over valued! Right? Guess what. Even with that market value, Apple has a lower PE than Google! So all things equal since Apple has faster growth than Google and lower PE...the gap should be even higher!

May be you didn't get all of this. May be you did. But like I said, you can ponder these facts.

What an outstanding post! (You should cut and paste it as a response every time trolls like Blackintosh go off on their rage-filled rants).
  • Reply 105 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

This is a typical Apple blunder, where they'll negotiate only after they're utterly desperate. Had they negotiated and signed a contract back in '08 or even '09, Verizon would've not had this kind on arm-twisting rights.

Why did Apple extend the AT&T contract that pushed them into a corner, is beyond me.

it's well documented why Apple extended AT&T's contract.

They got a 1 year extension for subsidizing the iPhone 3G when it was released (and allowing existing iPhone owners to upgrade without waiting the extra year that normally would have been required). THat extended the agreement until June of this year.

They got a 6 month extension for offing the $20 contract free data plan to iPad customers.

I don't see a problem with a preinstalled VCast app as long as buying through iTunes is still an option.
  • Reply 106 of 222
    Quote:

who has taken one company that people were saying should be liquidated, and made it one of the largest in the world.

Have you ever thought that, maybe, just maybe, this guy knows what the f*** he is doing?

Quote:

Where did I say that Apple (or Steve Jobs) is always right because they are large or successful?

Sure sounds like what you said to me. Maybe I'm just reading into the f*** part.
  • Reply 107 of 222
    doroteadorotea Posts: 323member
    Quote:

So let Verizon sell their V Cast stuff on the iPhone. What's the big deal? Apple bent and put Netflix on the Apple TV.

You know what Apple's problem is? They can't partner with anyone because their CEO has delusions of Godhood.

No it is called good business sense. Noticed apple's margins?

Verizon should create it's own app to sell stuff and apple should put it on the iPhone. I should be able to delete it if I want to or at least stuff it into a folder.

Pretty easy. Verizon has to give some as does Apple. Customers win. Verizon wins. Apple wins.
  • Reply 108 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

What an outstanding post! (You should cut and paste it as a response every time trolls like Blackintosh go off on their rage-filled rants).

I think you meant to say every time blackintosh makes a great argument of logic. And you should refer to my posts as outstanding. Cause they are.
  • Reply 109 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dorotea View Post

No it is called good business sense. Noticed apple's margins?

Oh. So because Apple is a big company they must be right??
  • Reply 110 of 222
    Quote:

Little Rant:

I never will understand Apple's partnership with AT&T. There such a crap company. As Jason Snell of MacWorld put it, they are a cancer on Apple's good name.

Sorry you have had problems. But there are many people like me who have had zero problems. We just don't hear from us because we are happy.

Another point of view.
  • Reply 111 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aluni View Post

Looks like you have an open mind. So let me mention a few things. You can ponder them at your leisure

1. Both Apple and Att are currently selling every single iphone 4 they can make, so for now it does not matter if the iphone was on all networks or just one. They just isn't more phones to supply!

Unless there is a constraint on parts, they can have a different company manufacture the verizon iphone and thus see incremental sales. There are a lot of people in the country who have been waiting for a verizon iPhone who aren't able to switch to AT&T to get one.
  • Reply 112 of 222
    Quote:

Sorry you have had problems. But there are many people like me who have had zero problems. We just don't hear from us because we are happy. Another point of view.

Actually I'm pretty high functioning with ATT. But I realize others are not and believe they should have options. As a shareholder, I expect the management at Apple to do everything they can to increase business. And being buddies with Verizon would accomplish this. I think in a big way.
  • Reply 113 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I can't recall those programs when I bought two iMacs in 2008 for my daughter and my wife. What were the names of them?

Try going back to 2003. My iBook had some stuff like that. But it wasn't placed on the desktop... Just under applications.
  • Reply 114 of 222
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    And another thread ruined by Blackintosh. :sigh:
  • Reply 115 of 222
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:

I think there are a lot of people who think like I do.

I think there are a lot of people who want an iPhone but can't get one because there is no service where they are.

I think if the iPhone was open to all cell providers it would be a good thing for the world.

And if it drives the AI forum nuts in the process, so be it!

It's not those thoughts that are driving the forum nuts, it's your arrogance and self-righteousness that's doing it. Based on your comments, you seem to believe that Apple is wrong and you know what's best for them.

First of all, Apple knows that it could expand its market share if it released a CDMA version of the iPhone. That's an easy one; Verizon/Sprint in the US, China Unicom in China, and many carriers south of the US border and a I think a carrier or two in Japan.

But Apple also knows that it doesn't really need to be at the top of the market as long as it can sustain its business. Apple is the most profitable company in all the markets it has products in. And oddly enough, that may be enough for them.

Finally, as far as Verizon being concerned, I doubt Apple would let them take over the iPhone experience to peddle its own warez and services. Even at the cost of not gaining market share.
  • Reply 116 of 222
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Try going back to 2003. My iBook had some stuff like that. But it wasn't placed on the desktop... Just under applications.

Was was when they removed them? I thought it was more like 2006 or 2007, at the latest.

I think the pterodactyl game was the first to go (or maybe that was only on iDisk) then ComicLife, and then iWork and MS Office for Mac disappearing at the same time.

I remember going to use Pages for the first time on my new MB while I was on a cruise and finding that it?s not installed or on the Restore Discs. I couldn?t believe Apple had made these web downloads and retail purchases, only.
  • Reply 117 of 222
    swiftswift Posts: 436member
    Quote:

I see. So it's okay for Lord Jobs to partner with someone on their hobby but not on a "headliner product?" Wouldn't a headliner product make more money for the company than a "hobby?"

You deal with movie companies and TV networks to make the Apple TV something good. Without partnerships, there is no Apple TV. Duh.

Verizon is a good network. They are also rapacious. Our wireless networks need to be taken down a peg or two. Their job is to be compatible with all the other networks, first, and to concentrate on giving us the best network at the lowest price, and keep the hell out of content.
  • Reply 118 of 222
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    I wonder how difficult it will be to jailbreak a CDMA iPhone. Wouldn't it be just ironic if Apple made the phone and gave it to Sprint, assuming that Sprint would comply with all of Apples restrictions just like AT&T. Then the jailbreakers can try to get it running on Verizon. Good luck without a removable SIM.
  • Reply 119 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

This is a typical Apple blunder, where they'll negotiate only after they're utterly desperate. Had they negotiated and signed a contract back in '08 or even '09, Verizon would've not had this kind on arm-twisting rights.

Why did Apple extend the AT&T contract that pushed them into a corner, is beyond me.

It was Verizon's intransigence on V-Cast that caused them to lose any chance at the iPhone at the beginning. I've been on Verizon for years for their coverage in the greater NYC area, but V-Cast, and the compromises they force their customers to make to deal with V-Cast, are a continual thorn. My Razr had the response time of a three-toed sloth compared to the same phone on Sprint, because Verizon jerry-rigged V-Cast and the rest of their "extras" into the phone. I upgraded to a Samsung Rogue, and now deal with weekly freezes that only reset by removing the battery, and a charge indicator that only starts to drop from full 20-35 minutes before the phone dies. I have never used V-Cast, and see no reason to start now. The offerings are sparse, the interface is badly implemented, and I can't use the tinny 128k music anywhere other than on the phone.

Verizon, my next phone will be a full service iPhone. Not a crippled, we still want the old paradigm, ghost of what it should be. Your call (pun intended). I can get the real deal from you, or the real deal from AT&T. But, I and the other three members of my immediate family, and a growing portion of my extended Friends and Family, are going. Soon.
  • Reply 120 of 222
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    How to make everyone's lives a little easier:

Click "User CP" -> click "Edit Ignore List" -> type "Blackintosh" -> click "Okay"

Ignore lists don't work when everyone in the thread is quoting the troll