Next-gen 7-inch iPad to have Retina Display, 128GB storage - rumor

Comments

• Reply 61 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPad999 View Post

Need to know when the new one comes out so I can sell my original ipad. I'm hopeing for the same size with Retina and more storage. Facetime with a camera would just be a bonus.

I want a 10" retina display. 1900x1200, IPS.
  • Reply 62 of 106
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Next year I can see for the iPod Touch as that is in September and the new shrinkage should be producing well by the time Apple needs production. I’m not so sure about the next iPad though if we assume another April release.

I’m also not so sure the iPod Classic would be dropped. They didn’t upgrade the 1.8” HDD this year (I’m sure Toshiba simply isn’t investing in that tech anymore) but they also didn’t lower the price which tells me that the production sales are still on mark. if we see an iPod Classic price drop before the next iPod Special Event then I think it’s possible that they could stop production.

I would think they would drop the classic once they had an iPod touch with comparable storage (I don't think people are buying it for the interface), although I don't know if 128GB would be considered enough.
  • Reply 63 of 106
    There is no question that a lot of print media companies would be very unhappy with a small screen size and the elimination of the current model. The 9.7" display is just about perfect for print publications that have ported over to the iPad AND include graphics and video.

If we were only talking about text, like the Kindle, a seven inch screen would probably be fine. But magazine (and newspaper) art directors love the current iPad model because it replicates print -- only better.

For those more interested in gaming I suppose the smaller form factor might be better -- people here would know better than I -- but for media the current model is better.
  • Reply 64 of 106
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

This would be really nice if it turns out to be true. I would like to have a smaller iPad that I would take with me everywhere. Not that teh 9.7 is that hard to carry around but a 7" would be really nice.

I can certainly see a market for it, but is Apple ready to split the HW line of the iPad -AND- have new UI and SDK to deal with this new form factor? When it comes to CocoaTouch the iPad was the first deviation from the standard 3.5? display.

Looking at Apple?s history I?d say a 7? is a no go for now. However, there are plenty of unknowns, like how important medical is to overall sales (since this will fit in a lab coat, what their partners and Fortune 500 companies have been asking for, what issues there are on components for the current iPad*, and kind of profit there bean counters would have predicted for a 7? iPad and what threat they?ve assessed to their current monopoly** from others coming in with a 7? iPad.

* By iPad components, if they can get 2x as many of the A4 chips, etc., but will not be able to get enough 9.7? displays to meet demand, but can get 7? displays it might behoove them to pursue it as quickly as possible.

** Since they do control the market (which in itself is amazing and funny) diverging it with more products would make since so they can maintain that control and therefore keep profits up, just like they did with the iPod.
  • Reply 65 of 106
    bkerkaybkerkay Posts: 139member
    Quote:

Here are some other concepts and a patent filed on this very thing year?s ago:

I thought there was already an App out there with a split keyboard. Can't think of the name (I think it was part of a note creating App).

Not perfect, but you can try "Keyboard Upgrade".
  • Reply 66 of 106
    bkerkaybkerkay Posts: 139member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bkerkay View Post

I thought there was already an App out there with a split keyboard. Can't think of the name (I think it was part of a note creating App).

Not perfect, but you can try "Keyboard Upgrade".

Here it is, it's called: ThumbPad. It's in the app store.
  • Reply 67 of 106
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Try the Pogo-- it works fine! I even use it for handwriting recognition with the WritePad app.

The one I tried was called iclooly. Just tried their website but it looks as if they may be going out of business.
  • Reply 68 of 106
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

I would think they would drop the classic once they had an iPod touch with comparable storage (I don't think people are buying it for the interface), although I don't know if 128GB would be considered enough.

Let?s assume that the 128GB iPod Touch is the same price as the current model (though I expect a price hike) we?re talking $400 compared to the current iPod Classic that is only $250 and still has more 32GB higher capacity. That?s before you include the price drop I mentioned after interest dies down.

As for the interface, I do know people that have bought it for the interface. They still want something simple and straightforward that is only music focused and has a click wheel.

If we see a price drop right before or after the holidays I?d say it could be toast next September. If not then I think next year could be a silent price drop. Are we even so sure a 128GB Touch will come next year?

The only unknown is really on the availability of the 1.8? HDDs, but if Toshiba stopped upping the capacity this year then I think they?ll still be making then for at least another year.
  • Reply 69 of 106
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

The bezel is fine. Any smaller and you're holding it with your fingers touching the screen.

The 'bezel too big' thing is as silly as the 'it should be 16:9' nonsense.

The only reason the 9.7" iPad needs a bezel is because it doesn't fit in the palm of one hand. A 6-7" model, on the other hand, particularly one with a 3:2 or 16:9 shape, would fit in one hand.

With a minimalist iPod touch style bezel it would be narrow enough to fit into many pockets. With a larger bezel it would lose that ability and be just as non-portable as the current iPad.

The fact that the iPad is so big it requires its own carrying bag is the primary reason why I don't own one. It's just too freaking big to be a go-everywhere device.

At the other extreme the iPhone's 3.5" display is too small for my middle aged eyes.

I'm ready to give Apple my money, but they don't seem to want it.
  • Reply 70 of 106
    Quote:

I can certainly see a market for it, but is Apple ready to split the HW line of the iPad -AND- have new UI and SDK to deal with this new form factor? When it comes to CocoaTouch the iPad was the first deviation from the standard 3.5? display.

Looking at Apple?s history I?d say a 7? is a no go for now. However, there are plenty of unknowns, like how important medical is to overall sales (since this will fit in a lab coat, what their partners and Fortune 500 companies have been asking for, what issues there are on components for the current iPad*, and kind of profit there bean counters would have predicted for a 7? iPad and what threat they?ve assessed to their current monopoly** from others coming in with a 7? iPad.

* By iPad components, if they can get 2x as many of the A4 chips, etc., but will not be able to get enough 9.7? displays to meet demand, but can get 7? displays it might behoove them to pursue it as quickly as possible.

** Since they do control the market (which in itself is amazing and funny) diverging it with more products would make since so they can maintain that control and therefore keep profits up, just like they did with the iPod.

With everyone else showing off prototype 7" products I think Apple will be forced to do something. They understand that it's far better to cannibalize your own products than let a competitor do it.
  • Reply 71 of 106
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

I have an iPad and I think both the bezel is far too big (it makes playing games with virtual d-pads completely impossible) and the screen should be 16:9. Watching movies on the iPad with huge black bars above and below the picture is ridiculous, as is zooming it up to old school 4:3 and missing half the film.

If the bezel is smaller, you can't hold it without mis-touching it.

Black bars may be "ridiculous" for you, but so is using 16:9 for reading books and working with other content.

And what about movies that are wider than 16:9 - I own several DVDs that have wider aspect ratios than 16:9 - should Apple make super wide iPads so those don't look "ridiculous" too?
  • Reply 72 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

More storage would solve the only real issue I have left with the iPad. Video takes up space, and 16/32/64 is kind of sad.

64GB isn't enough to store my music collection let alone any videos.

Music (Apple lossless : average bit rate = 1024) : 280 GB

Music (converted to 256 AAC) : 70 GB
  • Reply 73 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Another rumor... ho-hum.

However, I have been seeing more people just walking around and using their iPads. Starting to look like Star Trek invades real life! Fascinating, Jim!

Ha!

I found an almost perfect solution for carrying my iPad -- It consists of:

-- a camo holster

-- an adjustable/flexible shoulder strap

ordered from separate sources.

The holster fits the naked iPad just fine. But I have Apple's iPad case and I want to keep it on the iPad, for protection and convenience (easel positions). I can cram it into the holster and drag it out with the case on... If the case were slightly wider (1/8 - 1/4 inch) or would stretch a little it would be perfect.

• Reply 74 of 106
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:

Let’s assume that the 128GB iPod Touch is the same price as the current model (though I expect a price hike) we’re talking $400 compared to the current iPod Classic that is only $250 and still has more 32GB higher capacity. That’s before you include the price drop I mentioned after interest dies down.

As for the interface, I do know people that have bought it for the interface. They still want something simple and straightforward that is only music focused and has a click wheel.

If we see a price drop right before or after the holidays I’d say it could be toast next September. If not then I think next year could be a silent price drop. Are we even so sure a 128GB Touch will come next year?

The only unknown is really on the availability of the 1.8” HDDs, but if Toshiba stopped upping the capacity this year then I think they’ll still be making then for at least another year.

Yeah it will probably make it another year or two based on price. I don't know why you'd expect a price hike on the iPod touch though. Apple traditionally ups capacity and keeps the price ranges the same, and they didn't even up the capacity this year (mostly like because flash prices didn't drop). They also don't have a lot of upward room with the iPad above it, and a possible 7" model coming (still don't know if I buy that idea yet).

I don't expect the iPod classics capacity to change until it's discontinued, but as you say, we have no idea what Toshiba's plans are for the drive. If its capacity doesn't change, perhaps a higher priced 128GB model can't push it out, but a 256 GB model may. I guess I'm getting ahead of myself though.

You're probably right that the iPod Classic will still be available next year.
  • Reply 75 of 106
    doroteadorotea Posts: 323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I currently type between 40 and 60 wpm in thumb-type mode on my iPhone and I write thousands of words a day that way, standing up, while walking or on transit.

So you are one of the people who zig zag walk while typing on phone. I was walking behind someone at work who was almost bouncing from wall to wall as she was walking down the hall. I thought she was drunk until she turned around and I saw her using her phone.

You may type fine, but you may not be walking fine.
  • Reply 76 of 106
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guitarer1c2 View Post

There is no chance of this happening.

So Apple sends developers down a path of creating apps for a 9.7" form factor only to discontinue that screen size in favor of something smaller in less than a year?

Right.

The form factor doesn't matter all that much, it's about whether or not the device can do what it is intended to do. A 7" display could consume a lot less power so they can drop the battery size and maintain the same life-time. A 7" surface would allow them to use lighter glass and a thinner backing material. This would make the iPad significantly lighter.

I don't think it would be a good idea because one of the iPad's main strengths is the relatively large display but if they test it and it works ok, the lighter weight would be a huge benefit.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Moises.Soto

Following the same approach for the resolution and multiplying by 2 we have 1920x1280 Retina Display iPad.

That is 1280p video in a 7.2" inch display!!! Damn, I can't wait to see if this becomes real. I would buy one on day one!

1280 x 720 = 720p

1920 x 1080 = 1080p

It could play full HD 1080p videos with bars top and bottom but might still only playback 720p. If they did get a display this resolution, I wonder if they'd make the aspect match the iPhone or keep with 4:3 in which case it would be 1920 x 1200 - naturally it would have the same scale as the current one just much sharper.

There's already a 1600 x 1200 6.6" IPS display:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/06/h...eaded-to-tabl/

so a 1080p 7.x" screen is a possibility. It will be simultaneously interesting and annoying that the lowly iPad would have a higher resolution and quality screen than the highest end Macbook Pro.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek

128gb SSD's are far too expensive, blows this rumour apart!

The high end model will get 128GB - currently a 64GB SSD is $100-200 and that is the upgrade pricing to get to a 64GB iPad. Nand Flash is moving to 25nm so SSD and mobile internal Flash chips will double in capacity for the same price over the next 6 months.

I'd expect iPad 2 to come out sooner than April 2011 simply because it helps offset the production from the iPhone 5. If they ship in January or February, that gets the Christmas shoppers buying the old ones as gifts and people with money received as gifts buying the new one.
  • Reply 77 of 106
    The other part of this rumor that AI forgot to say is that its a Verizon exclusive.
  • Reply 78 of 106
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Heck, I could have told you not to buy one about a minute after it was presented last January. Would've saved yourself a bundle. Personally, that tells me you either didn't understand SJ's keynote when he introduced it, or you thought there was some magic functionality hidden inside it.

Quote:

I am a writer and I do a lot of artwork. I was hoping to use the iPad as a portable computer for writing and drawing and after much testing it basically fails at both (IMO of course). It's impossible to do any serious data entry basically without putting it down on a table top in a special case. It's also impossible to draw much of anything but stick figures without a huge effort. I need (would like) to be able to quickly and accurately sketch out ideas as well as type long documents while I'm moving about.

In other words I need a portable computer, but the iPad is more of a portable screen. It's great for browsing the web, watching videos, and reading books/comics, and it's also good for games, but those are all things I do rarely and none of them are things I do while mobile except perhaps watching video podcasts which I find my iPhone is actually much better at.

• Reply 79 of 106
    Quote:

It's been too many years to remember, but back in the dark ages (before personal computers) I worked in the emerging semiconductor industry. Manufacturing costs were a big item. But testing was also a big part of the costs.

I mention this because if the testing/rejects philosophy is still the same, Apple could:

1) Manufacture say, 1 GB RAM, Dual Core 1.5GHz Cortex A9 based A4 chips for the more expensive iPads and iPhones

2) Test to meet these specs for the more expensive products

3) Retest the rejects at, say at 512 MB RAM, 1GHz Single Core for less expensive products

Basically, a large percentage of the reject high-end A4 chips, could be used in lower-end products (iPod Touch, AppleTV, etc.).

This could reduce costs, increase availability of short-suppply components, and increase yield of critical production facilities.

• Reply 80 of 106
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    I totally agree with you that the iPad has not addressed the common "doodle" or the ability to just "take notes" like we do with a paper notepad, or make technical drawings like i do in the field of Architecture, but...

...that being said, i have to say i don't know you at all, but i already am pissed at you. You need to relax a bit. typing why walking is not as bad as while driving but i guarantee you're pissing off about a 1000x more people in the process. what is so important that you have to walk and type at the same time? relax, step aside and make room for people how are actually looking where they are going and not causing a nuisance! What is so important that you can't wait until you get to the office, or until you sit down in the subway?...jeeze...

Quote:

The whole point of a mobile computer is to use it while mobile. The whole point of a tablet computer is to use it in your hands while standing. If you have to put it down on a table and put it at a special angle in a special case, or use a special extra keyboard attached to it, then why not just use a laptop?

I currently type between 40 and 60 wpm in thumb-type mode on my iPhone and I write thousands of words a day that way, standing up, while walking or on transit. I just want to do that but in a larger more comfortable format with better software/hardware support (like a simple documents folder that could be accessed without jumping through a dozen hoops would be nice).

I won't get too much into the drawing thing as it gets really subjective really fast, but I want to be able to draw fast, and accurately as if I was using a rapidograph or a standard pen and ink set. David Hockney's lovely blobby watercolour paintings aside, you can't actually do this on an iPad yet. You can do accurate and slow, or fast and messy.