JP Morgan: Apple's fourth quarter revenue estimate raised to $18.71B

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Don't forget that Jobs offered them OS X for free, but they turned it down.

iOS would be a better fit, now that it's in ver 4, but they don't want to depend on a company. They are now looking at Android, but that not going to be less encumbered, it will likely be more.

I agree as Android doesn't have a good track record for allowing backward compatibility. I would think that factor alone could or would prove to be a major problem requiring a hardware redesign 2 or 3 times a year.
  • Reply 22 of 31
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheldon25 View Post

Regarding to this i would like to say that i wish my father hadn't sold all his apple shares, he bought 500 shares at 8 dolars i think (long time ago before i even knew what a computer is), not they are at 289.19$ common!!! life is just unfair .

But as a MAC user i'm glad the company is doing well.

Well, in the past few days I more or less helped my dad NOT lose several grand in a few days. May not sound like much but he is 71, well into retirement.

We have an AUD term deposit, of which the bank tried to sell us twice the interest if it was linked to the US dollar in one of these currency-linked investment things. If the AUD/USD hit 0.99 half of the AUD deposit would be converted to USD. But AUD has 4.5% interest and USD close to 0%. So you'd have to convert back to AUD to gain any interest and there you'd lose out because the bank converted at 0.99, you'd never get the same rate converting back, you'd have to eat the spread, say 0.97 or whatever depending on how things moved.

It was several days ago when AUD was at 0.96 to USD and this bank charlatan was trying to sell this currency-linked thing. I told my dad, something is very wrong here, and luckily he decided not to go ahead.

A few hours ago AUD to USD hit an all-time high since they floated the currency in the 80's... The all time high, you guessed it... was 0.99

There are always opportunities we're missing out on. But I'm also thankful for the ones we didn't get sucked into.

Money never sleeps...
  • Reply 23 of 31
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Which by the way off-topic but what the heck are these currency-linked investments?
  • Reply 24 of 31
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

I accept and expect that prices in HK would be cheaper as the transportation costs would be substantially lower since the products are made in China to start with.

No, Hong Kong just doesn't have any sales tax or import tariffs. Transportation cost is a rounding error.
  • Reply 25 of 31
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

There are always opportunities we're missing out on. But I'm also thankful for the ones we didn't get sucked into.

Money never sleeps...

Currency investment... real investment... is a tough game to play. I would like to be able to hedge some of my currency risks associated with the places I go, but wow! You can lose money quickly.

It is interesting though how complicated finance has become with all of the derivative investment tools, high frequency trading, etc. In some ways, it beats using things like mutual funds... but it takes a lot more work.
  • Reply 26 of 31
    Quote:

It isn't Apple that adds the premium. It's the countries the products are imported to that add that.

I was just in the U.K. Prices are much more expensive there, for everything.

For example, the new Kindle sells for 109 pounds. That's about $179.85 depending on the exchange rate. An AtHome dock for the iPhone that sells there for 89 pounds is equal to $146.85, even though it costs $99 here.

There's little manufacturers can do about it. For one thing, most countries have VAT. In the UK it's usually 17%. Then they add up to 10% for products not made there.

Not only that, but strong local currencies do not automatically translate into bargains for imported goods, or any kind of goods for that matter. Even taxes aside, local economic conditions set prices for goods, not currency exchange rates.

The Economist's annual "burgernomics" articles are one good way to look at the issue of currency valuations and what that means (or doesn't mean) for local pricing.

http://www.economist.com/node/166461...ry_id=16646178

The bottom line is, the price you pay for goods locally is what local conditions support, not some theoretical price that you could get if you were spending your currency in another country.
  • Reply 27 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Wow. What a cool idea!

(But not gonna happen, given the price.)

The price isn't that far off. The original OLPC was targeted to cost/sell for $100.

The best they could do was $200 -- they had a B1G1 (Buy 1, Give 1) program for $399 plus $25 shipping. So, the cost per unit was $212.50 including shipping.

iPad component costs are estimated at $259.

Some, could look at those numbers and say: OiPC is a righteous cause -- how can we make it happen?

I considered the G1G1 (sight unseen). I certainly would support a similar (maybe B1/2, G1/2) for a proven entity.

• Reply 28 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

The price isn't that far off. The original OLPC was targeted to cost/sell for $100.

The best they could do was $200 -- they had a B1G1 (Buy 1, Give 1) program for $299 plus $25 shipping. So, the cost per unit was $212.50 including shipping.

iPad component costs are estimated at $259.

Some, could look at those numbers and say: OiPC is a righteous cause -- how can we make it happen?

I considered the G1G1 (sight unseen). I certainly would support a similar (maybe B1/2, G1/2) for a proven entity.

There are a few issues that would need to be addressed, for starters: (i) Since it is a product that can easily shatter given its form factor, it will need to be supplied with cases, adding to costs; (ii) There is then the cost of the internet/phone data connection; (iii) There has to some access to a 'mother ship' for things such as software updates; (iv) It has to be clearly distinguished from the standard product, so that it doesn't end up in the black market for people to make a quick profit.

Perhaps this is the area where Jobs should be starting to spend a part of his wealth.
  • Reply 29 of 31
    Quote:

Don't forget that Jobs offered them OS X for free, but they turned it down.

That's very cool! I did not know that.
  • Reply 30 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

In a tough economic climate, Apple is doing pretty well. US unemployment close to 10%...! Oh the madness. Expect anyways fiscal q4 for Apple to be best ever ever. Followed by holiday fiscal q1 2011 to beat that.

One thing is for sure, analysts will be hammering Apple hard during the conference call about where the heck all the iPhone4 and iPads are. To them Apple ain't making enough to keep up with demand, which I agree a little but don't mind tooooo much.

Supply issues are frustrating but I don't want quality to take a big dive.

Why will anyone hammer Apple over iPad supply? It ships in 24 hours. (iPhone is 5-7 days.)
  • Reply 31 of 31
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alexkhan2000 View Post

Apple will easily beat J.P. Morgan's raised estimate.

I think their estimation for iPhones is way low. A mere 6 million, but it looks like China could sell 1M