Alleged Apple iPad part sports dual docking ports

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Photos of a part claimed to be the back of an Apple iPad show openings for two 30-pin iPod dock connectors, which would allow the device to be docked in both portrait and landscape orientations.

The part, obtained by Mission Repair, is a metal back for Apple's iPad. It shows one dock connector in the regular spot on the bottom, as well as another on the side, which would allow the device to be docked in landscape mode.

The site came to the conclusion that the obtained part is "pretty indicative" that the next-generation device will have a second dock connector in landscape mode.

Currently, docking an iPhone or an iPad with an official dock connector from Apple requires the hardware to stand in portrait orientation. This angle is not ideal for some tasks, such as watching a widescreen movie.

If the pictured component is legitimate, it's unknown whether it is a part from an upcoming next-generation iPad, or if it is an unused concept from an early prototype before the iPad was introduced early this year.

Apple has also shown interest in allowing its devices, including the iPad and iPhone, to dock in multiple orientations. In addition to designs that showed dual 30-pin connectors on the iPad, Apple has also filed for patents that describe an entirely new docking mechanism.

In documents revealed this July, Apple showed interest in adding an inductive connection to the back of an iPad, allowing the hardware to charge and sync in any orientation.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Weird, That dock on the side doesn't look like it is in the center of that side. Maybe an optical illusion. Actually neither is the portrait one and the logo looks off center as well.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The site came to the conclusion that the obtained part is "pretty indicative" that the next-generation device will have a second dock connector in landscape mode.

Their assumption makes very little sense.

We are likely six months away from seeing new iPad hardware. That means the next-generation iPad is probably in the second stage of a five-step process (proto, EVT, DVT, PVT/ramp, steady state production). A lot can happen between EVT and steady state production (we saw a back-cover part as well as third-party cases for a camera-equipped 3rd-generation iPod touch which never made it to market).

The fact that we are viewing this image right now makes me believe that this was an engineering sample for a rejected design of the current model.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    This is a Verizon exclusive iPad. Apple finally caved in.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Weird, That dock on the side doesn't look like it is in the center of that side. Maybe an optical illusion. Actually neither is the portrait one and the logo looks off center as well.

My first thoughts too. I call BS.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    What about a spring loaded shield for the dock connectors so it gives that nice flush look when it's not docked? It'd also help to keep out lint and all the other random crap that seems to get in that port. I know it's probably not necessary but I think I'd like the look better as it would make remove the look of the hole and with a dual docking configuration I don't think you'd want both of them sitting out there like that - it'd just look very un-Apple like IMO.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    macvictamacvicta Posts: 346member
    Ghastly. No way Steve would approve of that.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    I think this was old prototype that Apple didn't go with. I personally don't see this as a big deal if there's only one way to charge iPad.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    801801 Posts: 271member
    Doesn't look thinner. I would expect next version to be flat on the back. More Iphone like. But what do I know?
  • Reply 9 of 20
    Real or not, I want one.... Keyboard dock sucks since I want it for email and email in portrait mode is terrible. would love to dock the iPad in landscape mode without using a stand and cable.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Here's Mission Repair's shot of the iPad "metal frame" that they apparently received in February as part of their "first batch of parts":

And here is what the iFixit teardown reveals of the shipping iPad frame:

To put it delicately, they ain't the same, even allowing for the insane idea that Apple was shipping revelatory parts to random third party repair people before their closely control wonder product ever shipped.

I think it's pretty clear that Mission Repair uses bogus revelations about unreleased Apple products as a way to drive some traffic to their site and get some free publicity.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I think it's pretty clear that Mission Repair uses bogus revelations about unreleased Apple products as a way to drive some traffic to their site and get some free publicity.

It seems that every time there is a new product announcement coming these photos begin to appear. I am not really a conspiracy theorist but if I was I would deduce that all these rumour and sightings are the work of the 'non existent' Apple marketing department.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    I doubt the photo is real for several reasons, however I would quite like to see an SD Slot/30-pin connector crossover to make a kind of 2-in-1 port, since the connecters have similar dimensions already (depth excluded)
  • Reply 13 of 20
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    I call bollocks.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Not that this is real, but it would be handy to have two docks to have multiple devices attached at the same time (ie, camera connector and charger).
  • Reply 15 of 20
    If Apple was going to have two ports, I'll bet the second one would be mini-USB, rather than another largely redundant 30-pin.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    asaadasaad Posts: 11member
    Would make sense for connecting things to the iPad, but just for docking purposes? I think they'd quicker make a dock with two connectors rather than having the iPad with two dock connectors.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    Wow! That's enough to make me wait for the second iteration of the iPad! Pretty much all my presentation slides are landscape and this will make creating them easier with the dock/keyboard.

But in the photo it does not look centered. Hmmmm!

Best!
  • Reply 18 of 20
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Maybe Sd slot? It seems like apple is putting those in a lot of products, though we haven't seen it in iproduct yet.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    It might be a giganto-sim so you don't keep misplacing the micro-sims.

There's a chance the concept will be real and look like this but it would be much better if Apple removed the 30-pin port and only had micro-USB for peripherals and charging. With a plug that sits into the device, there could be a thin cable to connect to the keyboard dock, which would allow rotation between portrait and landscape very easily.

In fact, i don't think the iPad dock is good at all as it allows no screen movement.

Inductive charging with wireless data transfer is the most elegant solution but perhaps not soon.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    I think it's obvious that if Apple wanted to support docking landscape they would simply offer a dock extender or dock that works 90 degrees rather than adding an unsightly connector on a device some folks would never intend to use docked.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

It might be a giganto-sim so you don't keep misplacing the micro-sims.

There's a chance the concept will be real and look like this but it would be much better if Apple removed the 30-pin port and only had micro-USB for peripherals and charging. With a plug that sits into the device, there could be a thin cable to connect to the keyboard dock, which would allow rotation between portrait and landscape very easily.

In fact, i don't think the iPad dock is good at all as it allows no screen movement.

Inductive charging with wireless data transfer is the most elegant solution but perhaps not soon.