Nokia admits Apple is a "must have" in the US and EU

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A Nokia France manager has acknowledged that the App Store has helped Apple to achieve "must have" status in the US and Europe.

Speaking at MIPCOM, Nokia France's Cedric Thomas showed a slide saying "Apple is a must have in US and EU," while also noting that Nokia is key for the Asian market and Europe, Mobile Entertainment reports. The slide, which was titled "Address the App Stores," also notes that Android is leading the US market and growing in the EU and that BlackBerry is strong in the US.

Thomas, who heads Nokia's Ovi initiative in France, also announced that the Ovi store has reached 2.5 million downloads a day. By comparison, analyst Gene Munster estimated in June that daily downloads from the App Store had topped 16.6 million apps. Over 250,000 apps are available from the App Store.

Nokia's management team underwent a shakeup last month as its CEO, Chairman and head of Nokia's smartphone business all announced within a week of each other that they would step down. After the announcements, analysts suggested that some of the resignations were caused by Nokia's continued loss of mobile market share to smartphones like Apple's iPhone.

Some pundits found Thomas' comments surprisingly candid, given that relations between Apple and Nokia have been strained as of late. The two companies have been repeatedly suing and countersuing each other over alleged mobile device patent violations since October 2009, when Nokia fired the first shot.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    Look how happy they all look
  • Reply 2 of 27
    mgl323mgl323 Posts: 247member
    Yeah the app store is a wonder. I recently got an app that does video calling to other smartphones and it works with my iphone 3gs! In case you were wondering what's the app called, it's "tango video calls".
  • Reply 3 of 27
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    I guess someone is going to "resign" soon!
  • Reply 4 of 27
    mac'em xmac'em x Posts: 108member
    A trivial tangent, but: The Nokia execs appear to follow the Microsoft way of filling every inch of a slide with clutter. Jobs would have that presentation designer's head.
  • Reply 5 of 27
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac'em X View Post

A trivial tangent, but: The Nokia execs appear to follow the Microsoft way of filling every inch of a slide with clutter. Jobs would have that presentation designer's head.

Not trivial at all, managers should give some direction. If they show no taste and no competence, expecting it from people down the line becomes an impossibility.

This slide with its flyshit-sized bullet points is exactly what leads to ugly phones and user-unfriendly operating systems. As MS and Nokia show quite well, mediocrity is consistent.
  • Reply 6 of 27
    doorman.doorman. Posts: 159member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

Not trivial at all, managers should give some direction. If they show no taste and no competence, expecting it from people down the line becomes an impossibility.

This slide with its flyshit-sized bullet points is exactly what leads to ugly phones and user-unfriendly operating systems. As MS and Nokia show quite well, mediocrity is consistent.

True.

Can any one explain me what those globe, people on it and some arrow after the first bullet point symbolize/mean? Or is it again some meaningless stuff in a mediocre presentation?
  • Reply 7 of 27
    zindakozindako Posts: 468member
    Poor Nokia, they just don't get it, and they will miss the bulls eye yet again.
  • Reply 8 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

If that were the case there would be no problem, great results would happen.

Sadly, it is rather that they think they are creative geniuses as evidenced by their senior positions and force those beneath to create shit.
  • Reply 9 of 27
    Quote:

From their slide: "roll out strategy will depend on you marketing priority"

seriously? grammar much? I have no tolerance for bad grammar in presentations...YOU'RE FIRED!!!
  • Reply 10 of 27
    zindakozindako Posts: 468member
    This is a very mediocre company that has zero creative taste or ability, they are in the process of going extinct, I think the employees feel it in the air.
  • Reply 11 of 27
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fishstick_kitty View Post

seriously? grammar much? I have no tolerance for bad grammar in presentations...YOU'RE FIRED!!!

Your grammar, punctuation and capitalization leaves something to be desired too!

Just kidding ... I agree.
  • Reply 12 of 27
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alectheking View Post

Yes, they look like they have just been told their pictures, with ppp slide, were on blogs promoting how great Apple was.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    juandljuandl Posts: 230member
    I am sure that Nokia being as big as they were just five years ago, they felt so super secure in their shoes. Things worldwide changed an awful lot. Sure they are still in the lead as far as how many phones are sold.

But they realized to late how they needed to change their ways. Now they are looking to replace guys with other guys that still can't figure it out yet. Somebody at Microsoft or at other companies will have great ideas. But the problem is, they are going against years of preparation for everything that is happening now. Don't remember who it was that said that Apple and the other Computer makers weren't gonna be able to figure the phone business to quickly. Somebody forgot to tell them that it would be easier for them to do that. But that it would be impossible for them to figure out how to put a computer in a small phone. Everybody probably figured they would always have Palm around to do that for them. Guess what?

Sure supposedly there were apps for the old phones. But first Apple and now Android had to show them how to do it the right way.
  • Reply 14 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by juandl View Post

I am sure that Nokia being as big as they were just five years ago, they felt so super secure in their shoes.

I was working for Nokia from 2006-2008 and can confirm that they felt super-secure.

I told them, back then, if Apple creates a phone, that Nokia will decline to a Motorola-like state in a matter of about 5 years. Back then everybody was laughing about my opinion. Now nobody is laughing anymore.
  • Reply 15 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Your grammar, punctuation and capitalization leaves something to be desired too!

Just kidding ... I agree.

LOL...if I was going to display that on a giant screen on a stage with a bunch of executive, I'd probably clean it up a little
  • Reply 16 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alectheking View Post

it looks like some sort of group therapy meeting. there was an article on the bbc news site recently about nokia entitled 'the phone your dad has' it made me smile. its so true. the only person i know who still has a nokia phone is my stepdad - who uses them as its all he's ever used - same reason he wont use anything other than windows - i never see anyone else with a nokia phone and i travel on the train all other the place every day. (in the uk).

most people i see seem to have iPhones, the rest seem to be Sony Ericcson or Samsung. Blackberrys seem to be popular with young tarts, most business people seem to have iPhones these days.
  • Reply 17 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by juandl View Post

But first Apple and now Android had to show them how to do it the right way.

Just out of curiosity, what is Android showing them that Apple did not?
  • Reply 18 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bluedalmatian View Post

it looks like some sort of group therapy meeting. there was an article on the bbc news site recently about nokia entitled 'the phone your dad has' it made me smile. its so true. the only person i know who still has a nokia phone is my stepdad - who uses them as its all he's ever used - same reason he wont use anything other than windows - i never see anyone else with a nokia phone and i travel on the train all other the place every day. (in the uk).

It's the opposite in my house. I'm the dad with the iPhone and my kids have Nokia's.

Quote:

Blackberrys seem to be popular with young tarts.

I also have a Blackberry
  • Reply 19 of 27
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    What a horrendous slide! That personifies PowerPoint.
  • Reply 20 of 27
    blah64blah64 Posts: 993member
    Quote:

Blackberrys seem to be popular with young tarts.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post

I also have a Blackberry

And therefore, Mr Underhill is a young tart!

sorry, couldn't resist.