NYT: Verizon iPhone coming early next year

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
The New York Times is reporting that Apple and Verizon will begin selling a version of the iPhone 4 early next year, echoing earlier reports from The Wall Street Journal and Wall Street analysts.

An anonymous source "in direct contact with Apple" told the Times this week that Apple is readying a version of the iPhone 4 for Verizon's network for an early 2011 release.

The long-rumored Verizon iPhone "could significantly alter the dynamics of the smartphone market in the United States," wrote author Miguel Helft. Though Google's Android mobile OS now outsells the iPhone, Helft notes that a deal between Apple and Verizon "could quickly tilt the marketplace back in Apple's favor."

According to the report, numerous surveys show that "many owners" of Android handsets would switch to an iPhone if it was offered on Verizon's network. The Verizon iPhone "is going to have a fairly disruptive impact when it lands," the paper quoted Needham & Company analyst Charles Wolf as saying.

The report references The Wall Street Journal's Wednesday story as part of "the flurry of reports" predicting a Verizon iPhone. Rumors of a Verizon iPhone have persisted for over a year, coming to a head this week with coverage by both the Times and the Journal.

The New York Times and Wall Street Journal are both widely respected publications, but as recently as this summer, their Apple sources have been off the mark. On the eve of the "Antennagate" press conference in July, Helft authored a Times report, citing a source with "direct knowledge" of the iPhone 4 antenna problem. The source asserted that the iPhone antenna problem was a software issue that could "presumably be fixed with a software update."

Also prior to the iPhone 4 antenna press conference, the Journal's sources claimed that Apple engineers had known of the problem for almost a year. Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs denied those claims at the press conference, saying the company had only learned of the problem 22 days earlier.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 94
    Here we go again with the Verizon iPhone...
  • Reply 2 of 94
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bro.nathan View Post

Agreed. I find the rumors hard to believe due to the lack of details about what hardware is being used or even how they are addressing the whole 5 year contract that was revealed during one of the early lawsuits.

But hey, keep up the rumors. Cause they are just going to send the stock way up and I can make bank on selling a few shares.
  • Reply 3 of 94
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bro.nathan View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Agreed. I find the rumors hard to believe due to the lack of details about what hardware is being used or even how they are addressing the whole 5 year contract that was revealed during one of the early lawsuits.

But hey, keep up the rumors. Cause they are just going to send the stock way up and I can make bank on selling a few shares.

I understand your reservations after 3 years of this rumour essential "crying wolf? but I think there is enough circumstantial evidence, at least for me, to finally think that this is finally going to happen.
  • Reply 4 of 94
    jmmxjmmx Posts: 341member
    Sounds to me like Apple has purposeful leaks in order to have people wait instead of buying Android phone for christmas.
  • Reply 5 of 94
    Is BS that the NYT starts out like it's a done deal... only to then reveal that it's more second hand backroom whispering by an anonymous "person". RUMOR
  • Reply 6 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jmmx View Post

Sounds to me like Apple has purposeful leaks in order to have people wait instead of buying Android phone for christmas.

Sounds to me like Verizon wants people to wait and not buy an at&t iPhone.
  • Reply 6 of 94
    mgl323mgl323 Posts: 247member
    What's next? Los Angeles Times reporting that the Verizon iphone will come next year too? \
  • Reply 8 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I understand your reservations after 3 years of this rumour essential "crying wolf? but I think there is enough circumstantial evidence, at least for me, to finally think that this is finally going to happen.

I've seen it on the CNN crawl, MSNBC and a host of other usually credible sources that lead me to the same conclusion. Things are going to get interesting with this and windows phone 7 entering the fray.
  • Reply 9 of 94
    shadashshadash Posts: 470member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Widely reported that the CDMA iPhone is just like the current iPhone 4 except for swapping the cellular radios. Not sure how much more specific they can be on the hardware without finding one in a bar.

The 5 year contract applied to the original iPhone. Terms were significantly changed with the 3G. We don't know for sure, but it has been widely assumed that one thing that changed was the 5-year deal. Either way, Apple could afford to buy its way out of the contract.

Finally, why do the Verizon iPhone rumors piss people off? If you have an iPhone and are happy with it on AT&T, who gives a damn if Apple decides to release it for more people in the US to enjoy?
  • Reply 10 of 94
    mgl323mgl323 Posts: 247member
    Here's how I see it, I could be way off here or somewhat close. Verizon is getting the iphone 4, but At&t will get the iphone 5(or 4G) first. At&t will get the exclusive launch, and Verizon will get the iphone later on. Kinda like leftovers from dinner.
  • Reply 11 of 94
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boogerman2000 View Post

I've seen it on the CNN crawl, MSNBC and a host of other usually credible sources that lead me to the same conclusion. Things are going to get interesting with this and windows phone 7 entering the fray.

Well then, it must be true! (or they're just reporting that the NYT said . . . )

Ever heard of an echo chamber?
  • Reply 12 of 94
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shadash View Post

. . . why do the Verizon iPhone rumors piss people off?

The rumors don't "piss people off" (I see nobody's posts sounding "pissed off.")

It's the repeating of the rumors as fact that causes a bit of irritation.
  • Reply 13 of 94
    I think they announce it early next year....release on time with next years iPhone model.
  • Reply 14 of 94
    rp2011rp2011 Posts: 159member
    Hope this is finally true. I have been planing on switching from my BB to a Android, but now I think I will wait and see.

I think a Verizon iphone will hurt RIM more than anyone else. I think more people are dissatisfied with their BB's than Android or maybe even AT&T.
  • Reply 15 of 94
    shadashshadash Posts: 470member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

The rumors don't "piss people off" (I see nobody's posts sounding "pissed off.")

I don't remember people getting irritated about the slew of iPad rumors last year.
  • Reply 16 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

I don't think that's entirely true. I've been lurking here for a while now and this particular topic seems to bring out more animosity than any other topic here. Just this week there were five pages of posts over the Wall Street Journal story.

I don't understand it myself. If Verizon wants to be on the iPhone, isn't that a good thing?
  • Reply 17 of 94
    mennomenno Posts: 854member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shadash View Post

I don't remember people getting irritated about the slew of iPad rumors last year.

One year of rumors. It's been FOUR years of rumors for a Verizon iPhone. Always citing "sources close to the matter." always popping up JUST when the last round of rumors faded.

This round broke because of an article in the WSJ. Which would sound credible except for the fact that they also broke the last round, and the guy who broke that story was the same one who said Verizon was a launch partner for the ipad, and yet people and news sites still posted his iphone rumor around the internet like it was a holy grail.

And after a report goes out ALL these news sites, including one's you think would know better like MSNBC just repost the rumor without fact checking they just say "Bloomberg said it, so it's true. Ignore the fact that he said the SAME THING just a few months ago."

That pattern of break/repeat/break has been going on for FOUR YEARS. There is nothing in these new rumors to make them any more credible than the first rumors were in 2007, but every few weeks, like clockwork, someone makes them, and everyone gets all excited, and every year nothing happens.

Could it be coming this time? maybe. But until we see hardware, documentations and most importantly some PR from Cupertino, there is no reason to think this is anything more than the next wave of sensationalist journalism, just another method of getting page views and readers. People will ALWAYS say a Verizon Iphone is coming because it is the quickest way to get consumers attention, and you can be wrong every single time and people will continue believing you.
  • Reply 18 of 94
    What are the chances that the CDMA iPhone is being built, only that it isn't coming to Verizon? There was an AI story about Apple talking with China Telecom, another CDMA 3G provider, about getting the iPhone. If a deal with Verizon can't get done, perhaps they've been talking with China Telecom as a Plan B. KDDI in Japan could theoretically be a Plan C, too (unless there's a SoftBank exclusivity agreement that would get in the way).
  • Reply 19 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Originally Posted by bro.nathan

Originally Posted by charlituna

Agreed. I find the rumors hard to believe due to the lack of details about what hardware is being used or even how they are addressing the whole 5 year contract that was revealed during one of the early lawsuits. But hey, keep up the rumors. Cause they are just going to send the stock way up and I can make bank on selling a few shares.

I agree that the circumstantial evidence is beginning to accumulate. Strangely enough, the clincher for me is Motorola's sudden launching of a lawsuit against Apple in the last few days, a sure sign I believe that Cupertino is finally moving into Droid territory in a meaningful way, prompting what I see as a pre-emptive strike-back to protect their recently-revived fortunes.
  • Reply 20 of 94
    pennywsepennywse Posts: 155member
    The bottom line is Apple HAS to see that Android is creeping up and will eventually surpass iPhone sales. The only way to slow that siphon is to offer the iPhone on more carriers. Exclusivity cannot last forever and I'm pretty sure at this point Apple realizes it benefits them and their sales to get this phone on Verizon.

Do they have to? No. There sales are just fine, HOWEVER, there are a whoooole lotta folks that do their cell phone business with Verizon that are already part of the Apple eco-system. Their just wanting and waiting.

One other thought for the road. The rumors you're getting now just aren't coming from one or two sources. You're getting rumors from all parts of the process. Rumors about Qualcomm making chips, manufactures that make parts for the phone, and several big and trusted media outlets. I think we will most likely see the iPhone drop next year on Verizon and there is going there is going to be a frenzy. As a matter of fact, I think we are going to see the phone bow to all cell phone providers next year. The wait is on!