iPad coming to Walmart stores next week - rumor

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Photos of an alleged email sent to Walmart managers suggest the retail giant could begin carrying all six models of Apple's iPad as early as next week, a new report claims.

The photos were obtained by MacRumors and posted late Friday. According to the alleged email, the initial stock at Walmart stores will be 5 units of each iPad model and 10 units each of Apple's official iPad accessories.

The iPad will roll out first to 1,000 stores beginning "week 37" through the end of October, with more stores receiving the device in "the first few weeks of November," the report noted. Store displays will reportedly feature a covered "live demo unit" with a continuous video loop highlighting the iPad's features.

Walmart revealed in May its plan to sell the iPad by the end of the year. In 2009, the Bentonville, Arkansas-based discounter overhauled many of the electronic departments in its retail stores to include an Apple section.

At the time, analysts predicted that Walmart would eventually move from carrying just iPods and iPhones to offering Apple's Mac line of computers.

"We believe Wal-Mart is actively pitching Apple to carry more products," Barclays Capital analyst Ben Reitzes said. Given that the iPad is positioned between Apple's computers and its smaller mobile devices, Walmart carrying the iPad can be seen as a next step in the relationship between the two companies.

Walmart would be the latest in a massive pre-holiday retail expansion of the iPad by Apple. Retail rival Target began carrying the iPad on Oct. 3, although initial sales appear muted. Visits to Target stores by ifoAppleStore showed that Target had chosen not to display any working iPads, instead keeping them locked behind glass on the bottom shelf of the display.

Select Best Buy stores have been carrying the iPad since its launch in April. All Best Buy stores began carrying the tablet on Sept. 26.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 127
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    What's next, 7 eleven?
  • Reply 2 of 127
    Seems like a good plan. Will allow those that do not usually venture into places that might have an iPad for them to examine. On the other hand since the price will better than Apple's retail sales (maybe -$5.00) it should not take away from those wanting to ask questions about the products and expect correct answers.

Should allow a bit more sales that might not have taken place at all otherwise.

• Reply 3 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

What's next, 7 eleven?

Maybe vending machines like at Macy's - could see them right next to the red box machines. LOL.
  • Reply 4 of 127
    mgl323mgl323 Posts: 247member
    You play by the rules and you get what you want. In this case, Walmart played by Apples rules and got the iPad. Maybe Verizon played by Apples rules and got the iphone for next year.
  • Reply 5 of 127
    Sounds like a good idea. The iPad will be on display right next to the video game consoles. The kids will be asking their parents to get them one for Christmas. If they preload them with games based on the Unreal Engine, they will hold their own next to the dedicated consoles.
  • Reply 6 of 127
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

What's next, 7 eleven?

Radio Shack
  • Reply 7 of 127
    aeolianaeolian Posts: 189member
    I love the fact that it's selling well. I only fear that we won't see an upgrade while it's doing so well.

You don't change the general who's winning the war. (just a saying. I know how you guys are. I'm not thinking of a tek war).
  • Reply 8 of 127
    rp2011rp2011 Posts: 159member
    Hey, Microsoft, Google and every other dominant company got it's market share by being available to potential customers everywhere. Could Apple continue to compete against Android as a boutique brand? Sure, I think so, but it might also stack the odds against it as more aggressive companies like Google or even MS strive to take the lead. I think their customers could care less where they purchase their products.
  • Reply 9 of 127
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member
    Makes sense as Target already has the IPAD and Walmart is a large chain with a high customer count.
  • Reply 10 of 127
    Our local Media Markt is carrying them (large white goods and electronic retailer throughout Netherlands and Germany anyway, not sure where else) -- we are in a very quiet corner of a very quiet province in the corner of the Netherlands (Zeeland). It was a nice surprise to see them there the other day.

Media Markt has taken down the shelving for half an aisle, and put in a table that can be accessed from both sides. The table has a tall black monolith at its head, with a lit-up white Apple logo in it. On the table are a couple of iMacs, a couple of MacBooks/MacBook Pros and a couple of iPads (there is an extensive iPod department elsewhere).

Of course, the table is always full of customers trying out the Apple stuff. Demo PC's are just up on a shelf about chest high. However, I can't say if there were any really helpful staff who knew anything about Apple computers.
  • Reply 11 of 127
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    If Target is not going to display the iPad and also keep them under lock and key, then Apple made a mistake authorizing Target to carry the iPad.
  • Reply 12 of 127
    pennywsepennywse Posts: 155member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

If Target is not going to display the iPad and also keep them under lock and key, then Apple made a mistake authorizing Target to carry the iPad.

I think common sense dictates, they will have a few display models, but the units for sale will be under lock and key.
  • Reply 13 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Radio Shack

Tandy needs to go back in the leather business.
  • Reply 14 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

Makes sense as Target already has the IPAD and Walmart is a large chain with a high customer count.

and Target offers the lay away plan for people who cant shell out $500 samolieans all

at one time.
  • Reply 15 of 127
    Apple just ruined their prestige name by letting Walmart carry the i pads. A big marketing mistake on their part. Is Jobs that destitute for money by letting this mediocre company carry his products? Pretty sad on his part.Only Apple Resellers should carry Apple items.
  • Reply 16 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gerald apple View Post

Apple just ruined their prestige name by letting Walmart carry the i pads. A big marketing mistake on their part. Is Jobs that destitute for money by letting this mediocre company carry his products? Pretty sad on his part.Only Apple Resellers should carry Apple items.

What's really sad are neo-elitist snobs like you.
  • Reply 17 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

At one point Target had their Wii consoles and games under lock & key.

That didn't seem to hurt demand.
  • Reply 18 of 127
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:

Anyone making class-conscious branding statements related to diluting the "prestige" of owning an iPad had better readjust their thinking. The iPad may have started out being positioned as a Tiffany's product because given its price point, that's a time-tested element of marketing to wealthier segments with disposable cash, who tend to be early adopters. But nothing stays the same. On its merits and its extremely high user satisfaction ratings, iPad has become established as a "must-have" product among a much larger segment of the consuming public. With production ramped up, the pre-holiday season is the perfect time to begin opening the mass distribution channels like WalMart and Target. Even with the higher production rates, iPad very well could become the Tickle Me Elmo or Cabbage Patch doll of the 2010 Christmas season. Be alert for a Black Friday shopping frenzy and iPad shortages in the U.S. in the days and weeks after.

Here’s what Steve Jobs had to say about Apple’s iPad product philosophy in June at the eighth D: All Things Digital conference. Although the specific comment was in response to Apple's non-inclusion of Flash on iPods, iPhones and iPads, Jobs's remarks make sense in a broader context.:

“If the market tells us we’re making the wrong choices, we listen to the market. We’re just people running this company. We’re trying to make great products for people … that’s what a lot of customers pay us to do, try to make the best products we can, and if we succeed they’ll buy them. And if we don’t, they won’t. And it will all work itself out! So, so far, I‘d have to say, that people seem to be liking iPads. We’ve sold one every three seconds since we launched it.”
  • Reply 19 of 127
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

Maybe vending machines like at Macy's - could see them right next to the red box machines. LOL.

I can imagine them selling good numbers in airports...

I do wonder though what the maximum inventory $$ they are rated to carry is.
  • Reply 20 of 127
    Quote:

I live in Scottsdale, AZ and you would be surprised how many supposedly well-off people shop at Walmart....It is always busy!

Personally, I try to avoid it for the reasons implied above....but toiletries, cleaning products, some groceries...I prefer not to give Target or Safeway an extra $50-$100 of my money every month!

Best