Great Rock Shows

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
As some may have noticed, rock n roll is very near and dear to my heart. Anyway was just wondering what the great rock shows some of you may have seen are. And for those who are more anal about their terminology, I've been to shows that totally rocked where it was just a singer performing to a backing track. In other words, whatever rocked you. Whatever made your spine tingle and took you to another place.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    too many to list.

Bob Dylan- several shows

Pearl jam- every show

Phil Lesh and Friends

Gov't Mule

Live

U2

Eric Clapton

The Who

Jimmy Page and the Black Crowes

The Rolling Stones

Woodstock '94

Guinness Fleadh '99

Jonny Lang

Dave Matthews Band (early shows)

etc.

so many club shows so many other shows. I don't know. It's rare that I find a show that I don't love.

I would have to say the most moving musical performance I have seen in person that comes to mind is being at a friend's father's funeral and him singing/playing guitar saying goodbye.

edit: withheld friend's name

[ 03-20-2002: Message edited by: applenut ]

[ 03-20-2002: Message edited by: applenut ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 11
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Reverend Horton Heat, Pearl Jam, Primus, Beastie Boys, The Roots, Stone Temple Pilots, Willie Nelson, tool, deftones, Fair to Midland, Hoovastank, P.J. Harvey, L7...
  • Reply 3 of 11
    trick falltrick fall Posts: 1,271member
    Tonton, I've never seen a great stadium show, but U2 can make the Garden feel like CBGB's and I've never had great seats seeing them there. I would've loved to have seen that Inspiral Carpets show, did they play plane crash?

Grover, saw Reverend two nights this week with Nashville Pussy, it was some serious rock. I also saw a great show by L7 at a smaller place in Manhattan called Don Hill's. It's funny, that place was sort of my regular haunt at the time and my friend Big Dope decided to get up and do back up vocals with them for a couple of songs....they didn't seem to mind too much.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    My top 5:

1) Rammstein

2) AFI

3) Deftones

4) Mudvayne

5) Tool

[edit - what the hell was I thinking?]

[ 03-21-2002: Message edited by: crawlingparanoia ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 11
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Best concert: My Bloody Valentine 92.

Extreme good concert: Pearl Jam 91, Smashing Pumpkings 92, Sonic Youth 92, Beastie Boys 94, Jah Wobble 94, Massive Attack 95, The Orb 95, Iggy Pop 95 and many many many more. All conncerts in 500-1000 person venues.

I never liked stadium concerts because it always lack the "nerve" of smaller ones. But that said I the Zooropa and PopMart tour was great. But it was great like a very good and visual packed film is. I had very much the same feeling after those two concerts as I had after "Natral Born Killer".

L7? almost forgot about them
  • Reply 6 of 11
    robertprobertp Posts: 139member
    Jimmy Page & Robert Plant at the Jacksonville Coliseum 1998 sold out and totaly carried me back in time (my wife too).

Rolling Stones Steel Wheels Tour Alltell Stadium Jacksonville..Mick and gange are old as hell, can;t really sing for shit, but for three hours they rocked non-stop with the energy of the youngest bands!

Neil Young and Crazy Horse Florida Theater..nuff said!
  • Reply 7 of 11
    willoughbywilloughby Posts: 1,457member
    The current Weezer tour has been pretty rockin. The band sounds great, the new songs sound awesome and they've been doing some fun stuff on stage. Think wind machines, fog, confetti, lots of lighting effects, a small =w= in front of the drums that lights up and one GIANT =w= that comes down from the ceiling towards the end.

The encore was especially great.

Also, U2 at MSG a couple months after 9/11 was pretty good too.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by tonton:

<strong>And considering my Stones and Yes experience I seriously doubt I would like any of those stadium shows listed by Applenut.</strong><hr></blockquote>

the only one from that list that play stadiums is dave matthews band. the others I have seen in arenas and places like the Beacon Theatre, hammerstein Ballroom, bb king's, the bottom line, jones beach, pnc bank arts center etc.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    RAGE AGAINST THE FSCKING MACHINE

...weezer's surprise spots before they recorded their new album was also amazing (they were trying to guage their fan base, and if it still existed). say it ain't soooooooooooOOOOoOoooOoooooo