Microsoft unveils plans for first nine Windows Phone 7 handsets

Comments

• Reply 61 of 333
    shogunshogun Posts: 362member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

i'm a huge fan of real-time info on your homepage [hey apple, why does my weather icon always say it's sunny and 73 degrees????] but none of the screen caps actually show that data on the home page. You see different tiles saying "3 messages" or "25 emails" or a bunch of tiny pictures of your facebook friends. There's one big picture for a photos app. Nothing i see will keep a user from looking for sub-pages for actual info.

I would love it if apple allowed you to customize the info on your ios lock screen - to include a selection of widgets [weather, stocks, scores, recent sms, etc...]

+1
  • Reply 62 of 333
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

what the hell are you talking about? if ms didn't steal anything then google certainly didn't either. android is similar to iphone but i think that is about to end with android 3. 3 looks like it is going to leapfrog ios and apple is going to be the one playing catchup.

Hey, fan boy. If Meizu can be sued by Apple, why can google avoid the lawsuits?

At least, these windows 7 phone isn't similar to any iOS. Android copies exactly from iPhone just like what the poor and weak Chinese phone maker is doing. Now Meizu is suspended, how come Android phones are still safe?
  • Reply 63 of 333
    Interested to see if this makes any traction - the idea of all of your needed info being available is cool, but some of those icons are horrific looking. Eh.
  • Reply 64 of 333
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

Wall Street impressed, MSFT up a dime.

As I write this MSFT is only up 0.05 ... but Apple is up 2.62 .... that's what I call being impressed!
  • Reply 65 of 333
    sambansamban Posts: 171member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

Reminds me of when I zap a fly with my electric fly swatter... It's spins uncontrollably and then dies just like Microsoft is.

Sometimes when it gets stuck in between then its fun.
  • Reply 66 of 333
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

Hmmm, except the Kin and Zune.

LOL. got me there. That is something of an exception, though. They normally lick their wounds and try harder until they get it.
  • Reply 67 of 333
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Drow_Swordsman View Post

Interested to see if this makes any traction - the idea of all of your needed info being available is cool, but some of those icons are horrific looking. Eh.

At least, they make all the UI with less copies from iOS...
  • Reply 68 of 333
    sambansamban Posts: 171member
    http://photos.appleinsidercdn.com/win-phone-7-101011-2.png

I guess did people notice that they all look the same. But, all these WP7 & Andriod makers tweak the Andriod UI so that they look different. The whole think looks & sounds counter intuitive from these handset makers.
  • Reply 69 of 333
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Despite MS’ still designing some things by boardroom committee and some of the HW vendors doing some odd things I think most of the HW and the OS look pretty slick. It’s also the first ecosystem that has any chance of competing with Apple in any way.
  • Reply 70 of 333
    According to a video on the BBC website - there's no Flash?!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11515879

It mentions it at around the 2 minute mark. This is quite surprising with all the fuss over the iPhone not having it.
  • Reply 71 of 333
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member
    I 'like' the one that isn't produced the most.

Incredible.
  • Reply 72 of 333
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Drow_Swordsman View Post

I think there's a lot of Microsoft smokescreening there though. What needed info is there? 25 emails? I can see that on my iPods Mail icon, and Microsoft wasted an 8th of the screen telling me something which is actually no more useful than "You've got mail" - the single yellow envelope from Outlook gives you the same amount of "information" but in a fraction of the space. And a bunch of tiny pictures of your contacts? What "info" does that give you? These tiles just look clunky and wasteful.

On the surface it looks interesting, but as usual with Microsoft it doesn't stand up to scrutiny. Just looks like marketing buzz with no substance. Again.
  • Reply 73 of 333
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NoodlesNoodlemann View Post

3+ years late to the party and no copy/paste? Geez.

Then again, I'd like to be able to disable cut/copy/paste on my iPad/iPod. I rarely use it, and I'm constantly selecting stuff without meaning to. It's really just a pain in the butt to me.
  • Reply 74 of 333
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

I'm interested to see what happens with WP7.

Apart from the stupid name, it seems like a fresh direction. It will be interesting to see if that new direction appeals to consumers, or just confuses them.

C.

Agreed. I personally find the new interface intriguing. Except for that start page. Those monochrome smart tiles may function well, but aesthetically, they're weak.
  • Reply 75 of 333
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by popeyelin View Post

Hey, fan boy. If Meizu can be sued by Apple, why can google avoid the lawsuits?

At least, these windows 7 phone isn't similar to any iOS. Android copies exactly from iPhone just like what the poor and weak Chinese phone maker is doing. Now Meizu is suspended, how come Android phones are still safe?

being called a 'fanboy' on an apple site, and MS being defended to boot. FEAR of google must be hardcore.

android merely implements touch screen similar to iphone and others. they are not trying to be ios and android 3 should put that notion to rest.
  • Reply 76 of 333
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

The Dell looks really ugly and why do they still add a slide out keybord ? Is it not supposed to be a touch screen? Well at least it shows like 7h battery life which is kind of what I expect of a smartphone. But the others??? 3h-4h!!

You better not switch them on.

I wonder if the constant updating of the hubs has anything to do with battery life.

It appears that the "hub" design of WP7 is based around push notifications -- lotsa' push notifications.

To be able to "glance and go", your data needs to be current whenever you turn the phone on-- I surmise that means that there can be constant push notifications received & posted while the phone is in your pocket.

Maybe you avoid battery drain by selectively turning off some of the less critical notifications: tracking location of friends; schedule/calendar updates; friends social postings, etc.

If you need to do this to get acceptable battery life, then the "hub" concept devolves into a convenient folder to launch apps to see whats going on-- rather than always being current to all the events in that "hub".

If that is true, than the "hub" concept loses a lot of its allure.

Can anyone confirm or add to this?

• Reply 77 of 333
    grkinggrking Posts: 533member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by knightlie View Post

I think there's a lot of Microsoft smokescreening there though. What needed info is there? 25 emails? I can see that on my iPods Mail icon, and Microsoft wasted an 8th of the screen telling me something which is actually no more useful than "You've got mail" - the single yellow envelope from Outlook gives you the same amount of "information" but in a fraction of the space. And a bunch of tiny pictures of your contacts? What "info" does that give you? These tiles just look clunky and wasteful.

On the surface it looks interesting, but as usual with Microsoft it doesn't stand up to scrutiny. Just looks like marketing buzz with no substance. Again.

The idea of the tile is that all of a person's information is aggregated in one place and displayed. So, the people tile displays any email that a person sent you, any texts, any twitter postings, any updates to their facebook page is all in the people hub in one spot.

If I were to do that on my iPhone, I would have to open (and switch between) multiple applications to get the same information.
  • Reply 78 of 333
    grkinggrking Posts: 533member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I wonder if the constant updating of the hubs has anything to do with battery life.

It appears that the "hub" design of WP7 is based around push notifications -- lotsa' push notifications.

To be able to "glance and go", your data needs to be current whenever you turn the phone on-- I surmise that means that there can be constant push notifications received & posted while the phone is in your pocket.

Maybe you avoid battery drain by selectively turning off some of the less critical notifications: tracking location of friends; schedule/calendar updates; friends social postings, etc.

If you need to do this to get acceptable battery life, then the "hub" concept devolves into a convenient folder to launch apps to see whats going on-- rather than always being current to all the events in that "hub".

If that is true, than the "hub" concept loses a lot of its allure.

Can anyone confirm or add to this?

battery life is the key issue. The ATT website lists "standby" duration of the Samsung Focus at 10 hours. Given the nature of the OS, I would conclude that includes the information push, I could be wrong. If true, that is not bad, as I currently get about 7 hours on my iPhone 3G running iOS 4, and considerably less if I use it alot.
  • Reply 79 of 333
    applappl Posts: 348member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

Lots of different hardware, yeah, no way this can fail. How long will it be until we hear the first "It's the drivers fault, or no driver available" comments.

More choices are bad in general, or bad when it is phones, or CE in general, or what?
  • Reply 80 of 333
    applappl Posts: 348member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vvswarup View Post

I saw videos on Endgadget today demonstrating the features of WP7. As long as the hardware is good, WP7 has potential.

My understanding is that only M$-approved software can be installed. If so, I have no interest in WP7 at all.

If that's not true, I'll have to see what kind of ecosystem is available for the ATT offerings. But I doubt that I'd ever get one.