Apple says iOS software update to fix pesky alarm clock bug

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

Put a 2-gen touch running iOS 4 to sleep overnight without going into airplane mode, and the battery will plummet 15% and more overnight.

My 2nd gen iPod Touch did this. It actually ran out of charge overnight. However, doing a factory reset in iTunes seems to have resolved the issue, and actually the battery seems to last much longer now, and the responsiveness of the UI was restored. However, it was not without hassle; it really was a reset to factory defaults, so wiped all music and settings. So I had to play around with it for an hour to get it back the way I liked. I agree that there aren't many compelling features for Touch owners to upgrade, but it's nice to still be able to use the current OS on a 2-and-a-half-year-old device. I'm not sure owners of similar-aged Android devices (when they get there) will receive the same service.
  • Reply 22 of 34
    kiweekiwee Posts: 102member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Most of those I don't think are strange and even predicted prior to the actual anmouncement of an Apple tablet. For starters, the later I/O of the 10" display allows for some really complex apps and the App Store trounced Apple's basic efforts almost immediately so I think Apple is best to leave this to the 3rd parties. Apple still hasn't updated their Weather app to use the GPS to find your location on the iPhone version which seems odd unless you consider that Apple is moving this functionality to the 3rd parties.

My biggest issue with these simplistic and/or forgotten apps is that you can't remove them with using a JB app or use a Profile that you can create from their Enterprose Configurationn Utility. What I'd like Apple to do is have a section in Settings that allows you Show/Hide these apps for all users, excluding Settings, of course.

I see where you're coming from, but I disagree.

To say that Apple did not incorporate the standard apps because there are better ones on the app store seems off.

That would mean that, they them self are not the best of designing apps for their own device.

Whats next? Microsoft made a better mail.app so we skip that to? (Unlikely, but you get the point)

I say, keep the standard apps. But like you said, have the options to hide them.

One more thing. How can the iPad be a family device without profiles? I had my e-mail on it the first three days.. 2 people are allowed to read my e-mail. The first one is me. The second one is Not my girlfriend..
  • Reply 23 of 34
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kiwee View Post

I see where you're coming from, but I disagree.

To say that Apple did not incorporate the standard apps because there are better ones on the app store seams off.

That would mean that, they them self are not the best of designing apps for their own device.

Whats next? Microsoft made a better mail.app so we skip that to? (Unlikely, but you get the point)

I say, keep the standard apps. But like you said, have the options to hide them.

One more thing. How can the iPad be a family device without profiles? I had my e-mail on it the first three days.. 2 people are allowed to read my e-mail. The first one is me. The second one is Not my girlfriend..

They aren?t the best apps in terms of functionality. They haven?t been since the App Store opened. But there are reasons to keep them on a truly mobile device that is constantly connected to the internet v. one they are focusing on as a reader and internet device from your living room.

I see where you?re coming from but I also see that it would be a waste to rewrite all these apps at their expense when they really don?t add any value to the system with better and free apps on the App Store. Can apple do a better job than the 3rd parties? I think they can, but I don?t see why they would want to. Why? It?s a cost center that does not affect affect sales. I wouldn?t be surprised if some of these little apps silently drop over future iPhone/Touch iOS releases.
  • Reply 24 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kiwee View Post

How can the iPad be a family device without profiles? I had my e-mail on it the first three days.. 2 people are allowed to read my e-mail. The first one is me. The second one is Not my girlfriend..

My first real laugh for the day - thanks! :-)
  • Reply 25 of 34
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    I had no problems, in NSW.

Daylight savings is "show up to work an hour late day" with a perplexed look and mumbled ramblings about how I "forgot".
  • Reply 26 of 34
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Affected me yesterday. I just reset the alarm for an hour later and went back to sleep.
  • Reply 27 of 34
    ...legitimate excuse to be late... Since it is in the news...With no confirmation date, still plenty of time to be late (again).[/QUOTE]

The Westclox company used to make an inexpensive piece of hardware called an alarm clock. Set the time, wind it up, and it goes off when you want it to...
  • Reply 28 of 34
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Most of those I don't think are strange and even predicted prior to the actual anmouncement of an Apple tablet. For starters, the later I/O of the 10" display allows for some really complex apps and the App Store trounced Apple's basic efforts almost immediately so I think Apple is best to leave this to the 3rd parties.

And again, you miss the point. The only built-in app I miss is the clock, because until iOS 4.2 finally comes out, it has one major feature that no third-party iPad app can have. It can run in the background. You can exit the app and still have an alarm go off at the set time. That's not an option with current iPad clocks. You exit the app and it's not running anymore. No more alarm.
  • Reply 29 of 34
    Quote:

This is disgusting. Months after release, they have yet to fix problems with iOS 4 on the iPhone 3G and iPod touch that should have been caught at the alpha testing level and yet they're getting all hot, bothered and frantic about a little alarm clock bug.

They are trying to get you to upgrade to the iPhone 4.
  • Reply 30 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freddych View Post

They are trying to get you to upgrade to the iPhone 4.

Which has exactly the same problem?

Didn't think that trolling thought through all that much did you?
  • Reply 31 of 34
    I live in NZ and my iPhone did the same thing but I turned the alarm off altogether for a day and now it works properly.
  • Reply 32 of 34
    Over the last two days, my son's iPod Touch went off at 6am instead of 7am is it was set for...
  • Reply 33 of 34
    habihabi Posts: 317member
    Quote:

Why are they going to so much trouble to rush through a fix fora problem that may affect a few people for a single day twice a year, but not fixing one that irritates millions of iPhone 3G and 2-gen iPod touch users every single day.

This is disgusting. Months after release, they have yet to fix problems with iOS 4 on the iPhone 3G and iPod touch that should have been caught at the alpha testing level and yet they're getting all hot, bothered and frantic about a little alarm clock bug.

Well what if you missed a big client appointment? This bug could COST someone thousands of dollars for this in some special cases.

The point is that its worked for several years, Why introduce new buggy code? Or did someone optimize (=cut) some "unneeded" code???

I allways say that you shouldnt fix something that isnt broken.
  • Reply 34 of 34
    habihabi Posts: 317member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

The Cocoa date and time classes are so complicated not even Apple's engineers can use them.

Hell why did they "fix"(=break) something thats been working for years... Now THATS what you should be thinking about!!!!