Microsoft unveils plans for first nine Windows Phone 7 handsets

Comments

• Reply 141 of 333
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grking View Post

I am lucky if I get 3 hours talk time on my iPhone 3g running iOS 4

Comparing a 2 year old phone with supposed state of the art new phones... brilliant.

Point underlined.
  • Reply 142 of 333
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Apple still leads the pack with battery times.

Well worn handset batteries not withstanding, but that is a fate of all devices. As for the argument that it?s worse until iOS 4.0, that is very possible as it introduces new things, but I?d rather have the option to update or not knowing this. On the flip side I do wish Apple made it easy to downgrade iOS.
  • Reply 143 of 333
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

Take a look at the Samsung Omnia 7 review...

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i870...review-522.php

I have to say, this is the first OS I have been truly excited about since iOS, and definitely looks to be the next best thing.

Yeah, I feel excited too, especially when reading this:

Quote:

WP7-specific limitations

No system-wide file manager

No Bluetooth file transfers

No USB mass storage mode

Limited third-party apps availability

No Flash or Silverlight support in the browser

Too dependent on Zune software for file management and syncing

No video calls

No custom ringtones

Music player lacks equalizer presets

No multitasking

No copy/paste

No DivX/XviD video support (automatic transcoding provided by Zune software)

No sign of free Bing maps Navigation so far

No internet tethering support

I feel excited because a warm nostalgia of being two years younger will engulf me when they bring on copy paste.

Seriously though, no multi tasking, no tethering, no video calls (I 've grown so fond of facetime...), boy microsoft you guys are space odyssey 2100.

And what's with no flash on the browser? After all the garbage thrown at apple by morons and pundits from the other camp, no flash? And you can't even support your OWN platform that is silverlight on YOUR browser?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by -AG- View Post

I dont know if its already been said but ...

That is the key to the whole sales side of this phone.

Morons will buy it thinking it will be as good and mature as their Windows 7 home PC.

In reality they should be forced to call it Windows Phone 7 v1.0 or something so people know that its not Vista/7.

Hell iOS and Android had too, so why should MS be special?

Exactly, it's a point I wanted to make. Because again they are being dishonest and they are misleading people who don't know any better. Always aiming at making a buck with an under the belt blow.
  • Reply 144 of 333
    Quote:

Yeah, the 3G is not Apple's best iPhone -- and iOS 4 adds little to the mix.

The 3G is almost 3 years old, running an iOS built for current iPhones.

Comparing that to a still-unavailable phone with vastly superior specs is not a fair or valid comparison, IMO.

• Reply 145 of 333
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

1. MS is creating an ecosystem for Windows users similar to that for Mac users with iTunes etc. There is no incentive for a Mac User to a WP7 phone.

2. There is no support for Mac users at all in WP7, hence Apple is not a target.

3. BB does Business well, entertainment, not so much. The WP7 phone does both. Hence, BB is a target.

4. Android has no unified ecosystem, WP7 does, hence Android is a target.

5. Windows users who have an iPhone. Depending on the person there may be an incentive to switch (e.g., active Xbox gamer with Live account), but for some Windows users there will not be a compelling reason to switch. Hence, the iPhone is only indirectly a target.

Honestly I wish Apple was a target.

One obstacle I would face in moving from an iPhone to a WP7 is getting my contacts for Address book and calendar items from iCal into WP7.

Thinking out loud, I suspect that these items could be synced from Outlook for Mac if I switched to it, no?
  • Reply 146 of 333
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

I really can't understand your animosity towards Microsoft.... "

MS has done more to hold back innovation and has cost companies Billions in lost time, loss of productivity, etc., by shipping, time and time again, inferior, buggy products.

I'm sorry, I can't get excited about MS anymore.

This is not "fanboism," it's realty...if you want to have a Windows product...go for it!

Me personally, I try not to buy any electronic product that isn't made by Apple.....No camera, stand alone GPS unit, no video camera, etc. I have even held off buying a blu-ray player!

I'll use my iPhone 4. An iPad and the new soon to be released MBA and I'm golden!

I just wish Apple would make a 60" flat screen TV! Or buy a Satellite TV company and solve, once and for all, the "go to Market" problem.

Best
  • Reply 147 of 333
    Quote:

The app issue is overstated. Apple app store did not open with 200k apps and neither did android, which is doing well. Second, many I those apps are games which is handled by xbox live. Third, as Apple tacitly admitted with it's recent no more fart apps statement, many of those apps are crap. Lastly, most surveys indicate most users do not use their apps after 2 weeks. Lastly, the windows app store will open with the major apps (eg netflix, flixster, etc).

yeah, blah, blah, the fact of the matter is their app store is rubbish, if you can make me two years younger for me to compare them with the competition, I ll gladly take that over a web argument lost, but sadly you can't.
  • Reply 148 of 333
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    If this has been posted elsewhere, you'll excuse me I'm sure.

Windows Phone Really? Ad
  • Reply 149 of 333
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

I agree. I'm really quite envious of the tiles UI.

Once it gets into the hands of users we'll see if it works in a 'delightful' manner but so far MS looks like they've something they can build upon.

I would expect to see this in iOS 5.0. Of course, those anti-Apple (regardless of being pro-MS) will say Apple copied them… and maybe they did, though I think I’ve seen dynamic icons from Apple in the past.

Even if they are releasing it after MS — regardless of how much is “copied” — there are technical reasons for this. For instance, the A4 in the iPhone maybe 1GHz but I’d saying it’s running between 750 and 820MHz based on comparable performance to stated 1GHz iPad. While I think all WP7 handsets are required to have at least a 1GHz CPU.

Now, I don’t a 1GHz is the lowest usable speed that will work for these devices (compare with the minimum HW required for desktop OSes). I think this is the desirable minimum for a fast and impressive device which may or may not allow for these tiles to be useful. I bet the iPhone will be 1GHz or faster, perhaps with its processor speed actually marketed for the first time ever.
  • Reply 150 of 333
    motleemotlee Posts: 122member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

At least Microsoft has publicly committed to adding copy/paste, rather than trying to downplay and dismiss it.

Actually, up until today, MS did.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/17/m...ries-people-d/
  • Reply 151 of 333
    grkinggrking Posts: 533member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Apple still leads the pack with battery times.

Well worn handset batteries not withstanding, but that is a fate of all devices. As for the argument that it?s worse until iOS 4.0, that is very possible as it introduces new things, but I?d rather have the option to update or not knowing this. On the flip side I do wish Apple made it easy to downgrade iOS.

I am not denying that apple leads the pack, but then again, 3 hours is 3 hours for me.
  • Reply 152 of 333
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

I really can't understand your animosity towards Microsoft. A lot of us have done well using their products in the past. As a Mac user since day one plus a few months when Multiplan came out, Microsoft has always been part of my business armamentarium as we might say in medicine.

Not that I particularly wanted to, but to cut off my nose to spite my face? Hey you do what you have to. In any event, as more and more programs became available and more functional for my purposes, the likes of Microsoft have been less of a need for me more recently.

I use Pages and Numbers every day now and there is nothing I can't do with either application that I could do with Office. And even now on the iPad, a Bluetooth keyboard is becoming more that adequate on even the largest of documents. Most of my need for Office involves processes that I know I could resolve just with a little more thought, and getting past the 'creature of habit' phase.

To suggest that ?until Apple needs to get their finger out and?" is their achilles heal is ludicrous. Microsoft will do well. However, their latest endeavours are being developed by a team of two left footers. Which for the most part is historically their style. And for the most part, much of the world's business community. Not that it is a bad thing. Just that it is without the likes of the Dassler Brothers, we could still be running on filp-flops.

Right now we are building a half dozed custom business apps. And if you got your head out of the sand, there are literally hundreds, if not thousands of apps on the iTunes store for the choosing.

Perhaps you should take a look at Apples 'iPhone in Business site. http://www.apple.com/iphone/business/, as well as their 'iPad in Business' site. http://www.apple.com/ipad/business/

As well WIRED just recently wrote a review, "Apple?s iPad: clearly the top tablet for business"

No offence but I don't get what you are talking about really either so maybe we should just agree to disagree. You start off by saying you don't understand my criticism of Microsoft and then segue into a description of Microsoft as inept, poor developers, poor planning etc. which sounds worse than my frank but personal admission that I just don't like them.

My criticism of Apple's approach is based on the base software and the base design of the iPhone, but then you argue against it by mentioning a lot of third party apps? Perhaps my criticisms are confused and I just don't realise it, but your opinion is all over the map as far as I can see and I don't see any progress to be made in debating this with you because i'm not really sure what your point of view is.

My point of view (right or wrong), is fairly transparent. iOS and the devices that run it are just not up to snuff in terms of being a workable solution for mobile computing (IMO of course). They are wonderful devices for mobile communication, and mobile leisure and social activities, but if I can't realistically type a quick document on them or transfer that document to my desktop (or vice versa), in an easy straightforward fashion that doesn't require me to buy into third party solutions, then that's a big flaw in my book.

I've been using the iPad since day one and the (very recent) update to MobileMe is the very *first* time that I was able to quickly and easily get documents on and off the thing. Unfortunately, like most everyone I know, I use MobileMe for my personal stuff, not my work stuff so it still doesn't help me out with anything serious.

It's no secret why the productivity aspects of the iPad are advertised last and only take up a tiny bit of the run time of the commercials, or a small fraction of the text on the description pages at Apple.com. It's just not designed for productivity first. It's a leisure device that *can* be used to produce documents, not a mobile computer that *can* be used for leisure.

As for Wired, they don't know much about anything anymore and besides which, it's pretty easy to say it's the "top tablet for business" when it's still basically the only tablet on the market.
  • Reply 153 of 333
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Denton View Post

Windows Phone Really? Ad

Wow.That is a REALLY nice, very clever, ad.

Are we sure it's Microsoft?
  • Reply 154 of 333
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Honestly I wish Apple was a target.

One obstacle I would face in moving from an iPhone to a WP7 is getting my contacts for Address book and calendar items from iCal into WP7.

Thinking out loud, I suspect that these items could be synced from Outlook for Mac if I switched to it, no?

It all syncs through the cloud. Export your Address book as a vcf - create a windows live account and import into that and you are good to go.

I have been running the Office Beta (nice piece of software), and I am hoping they will create a Hotmail Live Connector for the Mac like they have for windows, and then it is even simpler.
  • Reply 155 of 333
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vexorg View Post

LOL. got me there. That is something of an exception, though. They normally lick their wounds and try harder until they get it.

Which could take years looking back at Win 98 just a patch for Win 95, which by the way they charged you full price for, and the fact that it took 2 service packs to get XP to a decent state. And then there is ME and Vista to add to KIn and Zune as failed products. Not the greatest track record.
  • Reply 156 of 333
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

yeah, blah, blah, the fact of the matter is their app store is rubbish, if you can make me two years younger for me to compare them with the competition, I ll gladly take that over a web argument lost, but sadly you can't.

Wow, you work for MS, I did not know that. The app store is not open yet, so we do not know it is "rubbish", unless of course this is the same MS = evil drivel.
  • Reply 157 of 333
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Denton View Post

Windows Phone Really? Ad

So what are they trying to say? As social commentary I am with them 100%. But what is their point that they 'll make a phone that bad that no one would want to use? Because what exact advantage are they offering so their phones can let you be a quick "in and out" (is that pun intended?) ? People are not addicted to their phones because the phones are so great, but because they are addicted to some uses they offer, they help them waist time, the distract them, they help them avoid things that make them uncomfortable etc. etc. What's ms's solution to that? Rubbish marketing? Oh, but now I get it, it's the same old bs, they don't have an answer....

Bring back Bill, Jerry Seinfeld and stupid smelly shoe ads, they look like something out of the cannes film festival compared to this.
  • Reply 158 of 333
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

I would expect to see this in iOS 5.0. Of course, those anti-Apple (regardless of being pro-MS) will say Apple copied them? and maybe they did, though I think I?ve seen dynamic icons from Apple in the past.

Even if they are releasing it after MS ? regardless of how much is ?copied? ? there are technical reasons for this. For instance, the A4 in the iPhone maybe 1GHz but I?d saying it?s running between 750 and 820MHz based on comparable performance to stated 1GHz iPad. While I think all WP7 handsets are required to have at least a 1GHz CPU.

Now, I don?t a 1GHz is the lowest usable speed that will work for these devices (compare with the minimum HW required for desktop OSes). I think this is the desirable minimum for a fast and impressive device which may or may not allow for these tiles to be useful. I bet the iPhone will be 1GHz or faster, perhaps with its processor speed actually marketed for the first time ever.

That would mean that iOS 5 would be incompatible with iPhone 4. That may be possible but seems unlikely IMO. Apple have so far seen to it that each iPhone could get at least one iOS upgrade. I'm not sure I'd expect that to change.
  • Reply 159 of 333
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RKRick View Post

Which could take years looking back at Win 98 just a patch for Win 95, which by the way they charged you full price for, and the fact that it took 2 service packs to get XP to a decent state. And then there is ME and Vista to add to KIn and Zune as failed products. Not the greatest track record.

no one seems to remember os x initial outing when complaining about os releases. its like the 'holy bible', it fell from the sky in its current incarnation....
  • Reply 160 of 333
    Quote:

I would expect to see this in iOS 5.0. Of course, those anti-Apple (regardless of being pro-MS) will say Apple copied them? and maybe they did, though I think I?ve seen dynamic icons from Apple in the past.

Apple has been interesting lately, and I think the company is changing a bit. They loosened up on the developer rules, they added ping (Zune social), they added a gaming center (Xbox live), they are flirting with music subscriptions (Zune pass), they have Apple TV (MS media center).

I think we are seeing the beginnings of a tussle for the "living room/house", with both companies converging on a set of core features and trying to flesh things out to create a unified experience.

I could be wrong though.