WHO does the Canadian government work for?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
<a href="http://theregister.co.uk/content/54/24469.html"; target="_blank">http://theregister.co.uk/content/54/24469.html</A>;

Oh the wonderful world of greedy rich bastards. +$100 for MP3 players, and $1.75 per CD. This is so stupid its mind boggling.

Just how stupid is this?

[quote]

But hang on a mo - approx. 100m blank CDs are sold a year, of which 44million a year are used in home-ripping, according to the Canadian Private Copying Collective's own figures, the Globe And Mail notes. So why should the levy be applied on all CDs, the majority of which is used in IT? No, we can't work that one out, either.

<hr></blockquote>

All I know is that if this goes through then I will never EVER buy another CD, another movie, or anything else. Theres no way Im gonna pay $30 a CD if I have to pay $1.75 on my blanks. That means that Im gonna be paying them $100 a year (I use about 100 blanks for various things).

I sugest that ALL Canadians on this board send a letter to:

Copyright Board Canada

Suite 800 - 56 Sparks Street

Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0C9

demanding that this is NOT put into effect.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    On the contrary, people should simply stop illegally ripping music.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    On the contrary, people should simply stop illegally ripping music.

Lets not get into this debate again. There is no law that makes ripping MP3s illegal. Also I dont beleive that there is such a thing as "illegally ripping" even in the states with the DMCA.

Additionally, the point is that the music boards are managing to get laws in place that make them vast sums of money. If you look at those statistics the majority of CDs are NOT used for music, but rather for more "legitimate" purposes. They are punishing everyone for the crimes of the few.

In fact, how is that "on the contrary" at all?

[ 03-21-2002: Message edited by: The Toolboi ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 8
    bradbowerbradbower Posts: 1,068member
    [quote]Originally posted by DigitalMonkeyBoy:

<strong>On the contrary, people should simply stop illegally ripping music.</strong><hr></blockquote>

It's geniuses like this guy who started this legislation, I'd wager.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    How about taxes on blank cassete tapes? i can do the same thing with those. When does it stop? Amazing.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    robertprobertp Posts: 139member
    [quote]Originally posted by DigitalMonkeyBoy:

<strong>On the contrary, people should simply stop illegally ripping music.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Purchase of a music cd at a legitimate store and recording various tracks for one's personal use does NOT infringe any copyright laws. My payment of that cd allows me the right as the consumer to record for my use what I want. I DO NOT have the right to DUPLICATE a cd and it's packaging for RESALE..this constitutes piracy and a ripoff.

[ 03-21-2002: Message edited by: Robertp ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Yeah, people should stop doing everything illegal. Especially pirating software.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    bradbowerbradbower Posts: 1,068member
    If it's illegal to listen to a CD you've purchased on your computer via MP3, by 'ripping' it, then why don't we extend this logic a bit further to harm consumers? It's not like the mindless sheep will actually give a damn. You have to buy a CD for regular playing, and a CD for each copy of that CD you encode on your computer(s). You also have to buy a CD for each device you play it on, that means a CD for every CD player you own, and maybe even a copy of each CD for every room in your house, and every person that might be in that room and listen to that CD. That should fix all of that, right?
  • Reply 8 of 8
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    ****ing ridiculous.

I will have to pay that ****ing fee on the CD-Rs I use to back up my accounting files in the office?

****ing cash grab.