Ballmer: Microsoft's brand 'means something' to users]

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Microsoft chief executive Steve Ballmer insinuated this week that his company's ailing brand holds value for users, more so than rival brands, while at the same time conceding that he's seeing a lot more of Apple's iPads deployed in the real world than he'd like to.

In a sit-down with CNet News.com's Ina Fried, Ballmer was asked whether the wide assortment of Windows Phone 7 handsets introduced this week presents Microsoft with an opportunity to advocate more variety than Apple but perhaps not as much variety and confusion as in the Android space.

"I think you clearly have a lot more variety than Apple has. There's really only one choice in the Apple world," he said. " I think the problem, if you don't have a minimum kind of standard […] the brand means nothing to the user. Our brand means something to the user. It means something to the developer. It implies a certain level of consistency and high quality, which I think is important for the Windows Phone."

Ballmer, whose failures in the mobile space recently cost him half his bonus, was also pressed by Fried on how his company plans to match the extended battery life and instant-on capabilities of the iPad, to which he declined a response.

"I think probably the things of tomorrow are best left for tomorrow and the things of today are best discussed today," he said. "So today, I will focus on Windows Phone."

Still, Fried relentlessly served up tablet question after tablet question, confronting Ballmer -- who recently claimed he can glance at a room and know how many Macs and iPads are there -- about his concerns with the number of iPads he's actually seeing.

"You certainly see more," said Ballmer. "You certainly see more than I would like. One is more than I would like."

"On the other hand, it depends what people are doing," he continued. "Certainly someone who wants to sit and do an interview and take notes and scroll around, they are unlikely to find that device very comfortable. It doesn't stand up on its own. It doesn't have a big screen and keyboard."

Still, the iPad has been out in the open for almost a year now yet faces no direct competitor. With Ballmer recently claiming during an analyst meeting that forging an iPad rival is priority No. 1, Fried prompted him to offer up a ballpark timeframe for Microsoft's answer to the Apple device.

"Like I said, you will see a set of things from our partners, essentially around the holidays," Ballmer said without elaborating. "And then they will get an enhancement (next year) , which I highlighted, from Intel, which will be very valuable, as we get their next generation Oak Trail processors. It's also an important part of our road map."

Readers can check out more of Ballmer's response's in CNet's dual segment (1, 2) interview.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 218
    Ballmer, again with the "no keyboard"!
  • Reply 2 of 218
    So by this quote we can assume that Ballmer lives in his windowless office, likely chained to the wall (feces and blood strewn about everywhere) and sleeps in a corner on a cardboard mat made of Windows 3.1 boxes.

How stupid can he get? It's perfectly fine to say that Apple's brand has only negative connotations to users, but to say that it means nothing whatsoever only proves the above.
  • Reply 3 of 218
    oh, Come on! "mean something" Apple not so much? Apple for some user become "Believe", people like to use Apple, but MS Windows just makes people to use. That is different that is the"mean something"!
  • Reply 4 of 218
    What a nut job that guy is.
  • Reply 5 of 218
    I give him until July before he get booted out of MS.

On the topic, the reason MS need to have variety of models is because their customer is varied from the cheapskates to not so rich whilst Apple is just one, prestige!
  • Reply 6 of 218
    Did Ballmer visit a medical marijuana store in a western state just before this interview? The quality of Ballmer's comments prove that he inhaled -- many, many, many times-- before speaking such rubbish.

• Reply 7 of 218
    shadashshadash Posts: 470member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"I think you clearly have a lot more variety than Apple has. There's really only one choice in the Apple world," he said. " I think the problem, if you don't have a minimum kind of standard [?] the brand means nothing to the user. Our brand means something to the user. It means something to the developer. It implies a certain level of consistency and high quality, which I think is important for the Windows Phone."

This headline does not fairly characterize Ballmer's words. He does not say "Apple's not so much." He does not say Apple's brand "means nothing to the user." The quote could just as easily been directed at the myriad of Android phones as Apple. Seems more attention grabbing and link baiting than actual news.
  • Reply 8 of 218
    Microsoft's last hope is to fire Steve Ballmer.
  • Reply 9 of 218
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Um, I don't like the guy but he is being mis-represented.

The lack of branding is an attack on Google, nor Apple. He talks about Apple having only one choice, but then goes onto say that you need a standard. He is missing a "but", however he is obliquely, and correctly attacking Android.
  • Reply 10 of 218
    grkinggrking Posts: 533member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shadash View Post

This headline does not fairly characterize Ballmer's words. He does not say "Apple's not so much." He does not say Apple's brand "means nothing to the user." The quote could just as easily been directed at the myriad of Android phones as Apple. Seems more attention grabbing and link baiting than actual news.

I agree with you. There is nothing in what Appleinsider wrote that even remotely implies that the Apple brand does not mean anything. It was probably aimed at Android.

Heck, if you look at the article, at the critical junction Appleinsider put . . . . which means they edited something out.

This was a hack job by AI.
  • Reply 11 of 218
    Quote:

Apple's brand means nothing to users

Interesting.. A lot of people out there are buying Apple product simply because it comes from Apple..
  • Reply 12 of 218
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Ballmer, again with the "no keyboard"!

Seriously... even if you were desperate for a keyboard, you could get a ClamCase (or whatever they're called).

Besides, a hardware keyboard can be a downfall in quite a few scenarios, especially those that involve limited room.

Next up: MS introduces all-touchscreen tablet; Ballmer says that it's perfect and a hardware keyboard is unnecessary.
  • Reply 13 of 218
    grkinggrking Posts: 533member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splash-reverse View Post

I give him until July before he get booted out of MS.

On the topic, the reason MS need to have variety of models is because their customer is varied from the cheapskates to not so rich whilst Apple is just one, prestige!

This is very confusing. All of the released phones cost $199, same as the iPhone 4, and you can buy the 3Gs for $99. So, if MS customers are cheapskates, are Apple customers destitute?
  • Reply 14 of 218
    Groan..... Here we go again.
  • Reply 15 of 218
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    More sh*t slinging from the big, fat, sweaty, hairy, monkey ape himself off in La La Land.
  • Reply 16 of 218
    Okay, I'm sorry but WHAT IN THE HELL is up with the dude interviewing Ballmer. Looks like he's wearing a sweater he took out of his sisters closet, then stole his grandmothers glasses....

Or are we all supposed to pretend he's a girl? And that freaking girl hairstyle..... which he doesn't pull off at all.... is he also wearing a bra?

Is this an idiot who can't accept he was born with a Penis? As for the MS phone..... Lame as always..... I'd be surprised if Gates throws out Ballmer though. He's such an incredible dork that he actually makes Gates look slightly less dorky.

I'm sorry... I still can't get over the CNET interviewer..... Gag!
  • Reply 17 of 218
    normangnormang Posts: 118member
    Why would anyone in their right mind "choose" to spend $200 and 2 years with a Window 7 phone? If they cannot make up their mind between an iPhone and an Android phone, picking a phone with zero track record from a company run by a man with Delusions. The choice is obvious... iPhone...
  • Reply 18 of 218
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    "I think probably the things of tomorrow are best left for tomorrow and the things of today are best discussed today," he said. "So today, I will focus on Windows Phone."

Since when is Microsoft afraid to play the vaporware game??
  • Reply 19 of 218
    This guy continues to prove over & over again that he is in denial and completely delusional.
  • Reply 20 of 218
    Wake up man. Your enemy is Google, not Apple.

Google and Microsoft are fighting to get low end customers and Apple only focuses on the mid to high end customers.